Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What car to buy next?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car to buy next?

My old S2k is getting very long in the tooth and I'm looking to change to something new. I've loved every second of my Honda and I'm after something with a similar degree of character and fun. My budget is around £40k and I'm perfectly happy going second hand. I have absolutely no need for a practical car although whatever I buy will be my only car. I only do about 15k miles each year so I'm not especially worried about economy.

What would people suggest I start looking at? I'd thought about a Porsche Cayman S (£40k for the revamped 09 model) or maybe a TVR but I'm right at the start of the process and would appreciate a bit of steering.

Thanks for any help!

Ben
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Loads of cars in that price range, take your pic.
Audi RS models
Wait until early next year and Audi R8 may fall into that price bracket
BMW M cars
Porsche 911
Merc AMG models
Jag XXR
One of the latest/best NSXs
Astons
Maseratis
Ferraris
etc.

OK the last 3 may bankrupt you soon if doing 15k a year but no mention of running costs in your post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Convertible or not?

£40k will get you plenty of things, we need more specifics.

At 15k miles a year though, I'd avoid a TVR.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM

corvette.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 AM

Evora. More character (and a better drive) than the Cayman, less fragile than the TVR.

They're a superb drive, dealers can't shift them at the moment because the default choice at the price is a Porsche so deals are to be had (the dealers I bought my Exige from have been spamming me recently about trading up to an Evora, they don't know I've sold the Exige) but that also means they're not too common and importantly, running reports seem to suggest that they're reliable.
Frankly, the Evora was simply the best road car I've ever driven.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

completely.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 AM

Forgot about the Evora! A slightly different option. I don't think they'll sell in high numbers though but also think they won't get that cheap (as in <£20k) as there will be plenty of demand in that price bracket after a year or so's depreciation. A £40k one however may be hard to sell on if you don't get on with it. I think the target market for these have £20k-£30k to spend hence low sales.

But, I maybe wrong, who knows....
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the input - I don't really know what extra info you might need. I have to turn up at solicitor's offices in whatever I buy so I can't go too 'rude boy' (Read "EVO or NSX"); I could probably get away with an Evora. I'd love another convertible but I'm a bit tired of the roof noise on the S on long journeys (and the difficulty with using hands free sets) so I'd only go for a hard-top convertible. It's hardly a priority though.

When I was looking for cars last time I test drove the Elise, Z4 and Boxster S. The S2000 was far more fun than all of them (well about the same as the Elise...). I don't like the look or drive of the Boxster S and the Z4 was a touch tame. That said the Z4s come with larger engines now and the hard-top convertible is a draw.

Point taken on the TVRs. I've heard bad things about the reliability. Dracoro's post was helpful. I'd love to run to an Aston, Maserati or Ferrari (particularly as my old man has the Mazerati GT and had the Quattroporte before that, both of which I loved) but I'd have to go for an older model and I don't want to be hit with reliability and running cost issues (at least to that extent). Mind you, I don't want anything too sensible so the BMW M series or Audi RS series may be a bit too conservative.

Test driving the Merc AMG, a 911 or Cayman, Jag XKR and Evora all seem like a good idea. Any other pointers?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I think it will have to be secondhand. £40K doesn't buy much new any more.

One year old though and still with plenty of warranty, you could look at any of the higher end Mercs, Beemers or Audis.

If you can't have anything too noticeable I'm not sure what's left that wouldn't be overpriced.

I agree with Drac with the Evora

If dealers can't shift them - and remember - they have finance to offer, just think how difficult it will be for you

I wouldn't say that at £25K but I wouldn't want £40K of my money in one
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM

BMW M5/M6?

Quick Reply: What car to buy next?