Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What did you replace your S2000 with?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you replace your S2000 with?

So I sold my S2000 at the start of the year to get into drifting, which I did in a BMW 330 for 6 months. Was an itch scratched but I want a fun B-Road blaster type car again!!

I know some of you ex-S2k owners still use the forum so I was wondering what option you went for and how it compares?

On my list is a supercharged Elise or Exige - I really like them but they lack a bit of character I think and the refinement of the S2k cabin, although it will be quicker..
BMW M3 E92 - very tempted but a friend has had one and the problem he had and the running costs when things go awry puts me off.
Monaro VXR - I've never had a big V8 and my commute is pretty short so might not be too bad to own. Downside is lack of parts and support in the UK potentially as its such a rare car?
Z4M - nice roadster but just doesn't have that spark with me
Boxster - could get in a fairly recent one but in all honesty the "poor mans Porsche" comments would drive me to insanity
TVRs - really like the Chim's, but I'd like a car I can use every day without "the fear" of something quite expensive going wrong!
S2000 - Best car I've ever owned, love the way it handled, the topless action, never gave me any troubles reliability wise, amazing engine.

Budget is around £20k max, and right now I'm almost leaning towards getting another S2000 and maybe supercharging it as while I love the F20C I feel it was just lacking ever so slightly sometimes

Ideally I'd have one car as well, I think if I went with the Lotus option I'd end up wanting a "daily"..

Anyway those are my thoughts right now, I know it's a biased on here but it would be interesting to hear your opinions! Have I missed out any other contenders?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 AM

I went down the Mini Cooper S route. My reasoning was because i'd crashed the S2000, it was never quite the same after I got it back and as a result, my insurance rocketed! The Mini's working out a lot cheaper to run but I only do limited miles as I get the train to work.

It's ok....no more than that though. The interior is rattly, reliability leaves a lot to be desired and they're about the most common car on the road. Saying that, i'll only have it another year or so and my plan is then to get myself a Cayman S.

I think that's the only car i'd consider next at this moment in time.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 AM

A cayman S might be interesting I might have to research them a bit as I hear so many mixed reviews on Porsche engines and their problems

Yeah I'd not consider a hatch back or FWD thing, I had an Evo at one point and got bored of 4WD quickly too, needs to be RWD, fun handling and take some abuse without blowing up. Pretty much my only criteria so far
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 AM

My daily driver is this:

But when you want to do 100mph in the wet thumbs up (With all the 4WD Subaru boys complaining that it was too slippy)...I use this:

I do miss the S2000 because it is so utterly flexible and rewarding to drive.

As something to relax, have fun in stirring the box and revving the engine, it's pretty unbeatable.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 AM

Cayman S - always been a Porsche fanboy

You can get a 06/07 Cayman S for £20K now
Many feel it and Porsches in general are a bit numb to drive but I love my car.
I have much more confidence to push the Cayman then I ever did in the S2000.
2 Year or 20000 mile service intervals also takes some of the cost out of ownership by spreading the payments out.
Averages about equivalent of £350 / year servicing.

I still love the looks of the S2000 and if I went back to a soft top, probably have an S2000 over a Boxster.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 AM

20k service intervals! Blimey. The costs seem pretty reasonable then actually, will have to my list and test one
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by KingRevo
A cayman S might be interesting I might have to research them a bit as I hear so many mixed reviews on Porsche engines and their problems
Equally some might say last generation S2000 appear to have a bed engine rep

I think older engines had been known to have some problems with a seal issue, even mine had a seal replaced but it only leaked a small amount of oil into the bay.
The is no run in requirement by Porsche on the engines and in 5 years my car has consumed about 1/4 litre every 2 years.
Also Porsche warranty their engines for track use.
Best I can say is check out a relevant forum to get a broad view as its not a serious issue as far as I know.
The Bristol dealership have been fantasatic, including replacing lightbulbs at parts cost only on a while you wait basis and no nonsense MOT's.

In addition

Set of 19" tyres set you back about £980 but should last 15-20K miles including some track days.

Also there are days I regret not having a soft top but the rest of the time I enjoy the driving too much to notice this loss
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM

Elise and never looked back. Hated the S2000s handling.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E46 m3 coupe, manual with csl wheels. Wheeeeee! Awesome car, all the road car you'd ever need. Running costs were prohibitive when I started doing 20k miles per year. So replaced that with a 120d. My mileage has come down so currently weighing up options for new car next summer.

Shame you can't fit a bike in a Cayman...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 AM

Just been reading up, lots of horror stories about the Cayman S engine being chocolate Warranty seems to be a requirement and if I got in a 2007 model I'm not sure how long they'd keep renewing the warranty for.

Such a shame as I've always wanted a Porsche but every time I look into them (various models) I seem to uncover so many issues with them!

I've had 2 non-M E46s, while the M3 is massively capable I'd want something a bit of a change..!

Quick Reply: What did you replace your S2000 with?