Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What if I got rid of the S2K...?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What if I got rid of the S2K...?

I've been toying with the idea of selling the S2000 this summer ( I was going to sell last summer, but instead bought some spoon brakes and a racing seat and had more fun instead) but I'm left with a bit of a quandry about what to get instead. I would like to continue to do the odd track evening and obviously love a good spirited drive when the weather allows.

I've always had a soft spot for TVRs and reasonably think that I could get a half decent condition 4.0 Chimera. Obviously this wouldn't be a sensible every day runner so I would also have to buy something crappy to pair it with like a sub £1500 volvo or accord tourer, something to throw the bikes in the back of for camping trips etc.

The other option would be get a fast(ish) BMW 330d or 330i touring which could be fun for driving on trips away.

Decisions decisions...
I know other people have sold up and come back to the S so it would be good to get some input or suggestions for other fun cars to replace it.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

i wouldnt go with the BM, not an exciting steer in the same way as the S2 ime
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the idea is utterly insane; unless you can find a truly interesting daily driver, you end up schlepping around in something miserable most of the time.

TVRs are now very old and therefore a bit needy - they can be made reliable, but only the very last cars really handled properly. In that respect, they really are a grown-up S2000.

If you want to move to a more focussed car, a Lotus makes far more sense, as they are still current. They are also totally customisable since there are countless different variants and aftermarket bits. So one needn't necessarily rush out and buy a new one. Though Lotus should be grateful if you would...

They might be a bit compromised for everyday road driving, though. And you cannot really put many bikes in them.

Unless the S2000 is falling apart and not really economical to maintain, it's probably not a bad compromise. Which is why people return to them. They usually tend to end up with some sort of smoker as an everyday dustbin-wagon, as advancing age and miserable traffic conditions try one's patience in the end.

PS - I actually like TVRs too and nearly bought a Tuscan S once. Then I gave myself a slap and hence there's an NSX in the garage...
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BMW Z4M

I had the same dilemma but wanted something faster than the S. I now have the same dilemma again except my Z4M is now worth more than i paid for it 5 years ago.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

I don't know whether Lotus reliability day to day would haunt. TVR would scare the shit out of me, I wanted one when younger but those cars were never very good really and are now very old or very expensive.

life is too short for beaters unless you can find something like a decent CTR breadvan or a 182 Clio. For my money the S2 is hard to beat for smiles per £ and certainly as an overall proposition assuming low mileage use. It's going up in value, it's reliable as you can get, handles well, great engine, great manual gearbox and is almost lego simple.

dont buy something based on a 0-60 time or you'll end up talking about that exact stat to anyone within earshot, becoming a social pariah in no time. Audi drivers have no friends.

At all.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread...

whilst I don't have a car to sell, I'm on the look out for a 'fun' car. On the shortlist;

Elise S2
S2k (unlikely)
987 boxster
Z4M
SLK55

all have their USP, it wont be a garage queen as wherever I end up with be the budget end of what available, but it needs to represent decent value in the long term. Z4M ticks many boxes, but the VED is a bit of a sting... I think I'd be pushing it saying I'd expect to put 2k a year on it, so £550 VED is a bit of a bugger and due to model year it was a few weeks too late to market. It's not the money so much, it's the principle, it really pee'd me off paying £500+ tax on the S2k for the 5k a year I covered, so doing half that would annoy me. (just put the VED on fuel... let's not go there).

Funnily enough, I looked at TVR's but swiftly came to my senses...

987 Boxster's can be had for well under 10k now, so cheaper than a comparable S which is interesting, the 2.7's under 8k!

We're leasing an XC60 for the day to day stuff... kids, dog etc That arrived in a few weeks. oh joy.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081
Interesting thread...

whilst I don't have a car to sell, I'm on the look out for a 'fun' car. On the shortlist;

Elise S2
S2k (unlikely)
987 boxster
Z4M
SLK55

all have their USP, it wont be a garage queen as wherever I end up with be the budget end of what available, but it needs to represent decent value in the long term. Z4M ticks many boxes, but the VED is a bit of a sting... I think I'd be pushing it saying I'd expect to put 2k a year on it, so £550 VED is a bit of a bugger and due to model year it was a few weeks too late to market. It's not the money so much, it's the principle, it really pee'd me off paying £500+ tax on the S2k for the 5k a year I covered, so doing half that would annoy me. (just put the VED on fuel... let's not go there).

Funnily enough, I looked at TVR's but swiftly came to my senses...

987 Boxster's can be had for well under 10k now, so cheaper than a comparable S which is interesting, the 2.7's under 8k!

We're leasing an XC60 for the day to day stuff... kids, dog etc That arrived in a few weeks. oh joy.
as a frame of refeference on the z4m coupe, my car has increased in value by ~5k in 2 years. The £500 ved isn't great, but I wouldn't let it put you off an otherwise great car full of character.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

try a nose heavy diesel, 330D or otherwise and report back on the fun factor

I think the only fun you'll find is out dragging 320Ds at traffic lights

Boxster is a good shout - buy well and you won't lose anything on it

if refinement matters, you won't like a Lotus or TVR

swapping an S2000 for a 330D or 330i estate is so odd I can't get my head around it
Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually, you could probably pick up an early 986 for the price of some new Mugen wheels and tyres for an S2000 now.

Disposable Porsche?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chip in with the 350Z as an option that is missing.

A great car that I use as my client site transport vehicle (My daily is the train). Bought it in November, done 6k miles in it since then. Makes a great noise, has a fantastic stereo, drifts easily, can do trackdays.

They're a good price too.

Negatives are the £515 VED if you get a HR engine (which you should) and fuel economy isn't amazing but I'm getting about 24mpg from mixed driving so you'd probably get 26-28. Track day mpg was about 8 which I was quite impressed with

Quick Reply: What if I got rid of the S2K...?