Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What if I got rid of the S2K...?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ~ Ya I'm new here ~ Got my 2002 used with 20K back in 2004 ~ Now just under 120K miles ~ 02" had excellent reliability with JD Powers ~ This car has been so good to me - replaced the clutch, upgraded top to Canvas ~ Brakes - that's about it! Dings never live on the car long, never been in an accident and besides the mileage - it's perfect ~I toy with - Hmm keep it, sell it, trade it in.... I think I going to keep it - we all need a toy. My Blue Baby ~ It lives between 4-6 - I rarely, I mean I could count on my fingers the number of times I V-Tec - (I don't want the ticket!) But I know I would get dirt for it because of the mileage. Although I don't race the car it does drink a bit of oil - Ya gotta wonder where it goes - it doesn't smoke or leak ~ sorta wish I had the hard top for it ~ So I'm moving to Huntsville Alabama - decided to drive it there from California despite the mileage ~ oh well - I need to get it out on the open road sometime! anybody here sell theirs and live to regret it? I guess not or you would not still be on the forum - ha, ha ~ A guy walked by it one day and asked if it's for sale - lol - I should have said, 'Well I turned down 18" I could always get another - but they are all thrashed - So Ill drive to Alabama, park in the garage and lease some daily get around car
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from an S (well two to be accurate) to a 987 Boxster S and I have enjoyed owning it thus far. It's fast enough, mak S a great noise and is surprisingly practical and is massively competent even in my hamfisted stewardship.

There are a couple of downsides; you have to going very fast to really explore the limits on the road and it's so competent that is can feel a little underwhelming at times. That said, a quick stab of the throttle soon sorts that out. It doesn't fizz like an S and I do miss mine (well the first one...).

I changed as I had reached a natural break point with S2000s and it was the logical replacement for my needs.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll chime in on the BMW 330 front.....Don't. I had a 330 before the S and although it was a good car, it astounded me how dull it was, no drama or anything and it was a heavy old thing.

id try a Z4M. I drove one before settling on the S. Handling wise, not as good as an S but that engine is a marvel. Has the bonkers fizz of an S with a good slug of torque, running costs put me off at the time and I honestly preferred the S for its ballistic character and agility.

id give a 135 coupe a go, had a blat in one recently and it shocked me how nimble and fun it was, the N55 engine is a peach as well and sounds horny when you give it death.

left field, but a Fiesta ST or Leon Cupra 280 are worth a punt. Both are great value for money used now, especially the Leon with a DSG box which really is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:51 PM

I had a fiesta ST before my S and although I sometimes miss the usability, economy for the performance and toys, I wouldn't go back.
The ease of driving it fast and throwing it around back roads with very little skill needed gets old after a year.
You can't compare the thrill of driving the S to an ST, and mine was remapped to the power of a standard S, with around 100kg less weight. I reckon after nearly a year in the S I couldn't keep up with myself in the fiesta as it takes a lot more skill to drive the S2000 quick.

I'd love one as a daily and keep the S for weekends if I could afford it.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by GC84
I had a fiesta ST before my S and although I sometimes miss the usability, economy for the performance and toys, I wouldn't go back.
The ease of driving it fast and throwing it around back roads with very little skill needed gets old after a year.
You can't compare the thrill of driving the S to an ST, and mine was remapped to the power of a standard S, with around 100kg less weight. I reckon after nearly a year in the S I couldn't keep up with myself in the fiesta as it takes a lot more skill to drive the S2000 quick.

I'd love one as a daily and keep the S for weekends if I could afford it.
Guess that settles that one then haha. I actually seriously considered a Fiesta ST at one point and really enjoyed it to drive. It felt like it needed a bit of work to bring out the best of it though. Shorter gearing, lighter flywheel and LSD being the main things.

What about a DC5 Teg or a FD2 CTR? I can honestly say that if I drove a DC5 at the time around buying the S, I would have been in a right pickle as they are a cracking all rounder. Also found it to be a much nicer steer than a Breadvan CTR, both of which are pretty similar.

By the sounds of it, you're probably best off sticking with the S. Once a year I look at getting something else but I've just decided to get some goodies for the S and keep it for a few more years.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by djchocice
Guess that settles that one then haha. I actually seriously considered a Fiesta ST at one point and really enjoyed it to drive. It felt like it needed a bit of work to bring out the best of it though. Shorter gearing, lighter flywheel and LSD being the main things.

What about a DC5 Teg or a FD2 CTR? I can honestly say that if I drove a DC5 at the time around buying the S, I would have been in a right pickle as they are a cracking all rounder. Also found it to be a much nicer steer than a Breadvan CTR, both of which are pretty similar.

By the sounds of it, you're probably best off sticking with the S. Once a year I look at getting something else but I've just decided to get some goodies for the S and keep it for a few more years.
I don't remember feeling the need for shorter gearing, especially 1st and 2nd, mine would blow the tyres off in 1st gear, and 2nd gear wouldn't even do 60mph. Agree massively on the LSD though, the extra torque from the remap meant you couldn't put as much power down as you would like coming out of corners. The torque vectoring shite was no replacement for an LSD.

Dont' get me wrong they are great fun, i really enjoyed mine, and would recommend them to anybody looking for their first foray into hot hatches. I would even own one again, but I couldn't recommend one as a replacement for the S, and equally, I bet Lovegroova wouldn't recommend his 208 GTI as a replacement for an S2000.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Been thinking the same with regards to my S.

The only car that's ticking the boxes, in the right price range, the power and cornering ability is a 996 Turbo. Need to go out in a few before I decide I want to take that plunge.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by GC84
I don't remember feeling the need for shorter gearing, especially 1st and 2nd, mine would blow the tyres off in 1st gear, and 2nd gear wouldn't even do 60mph. Agree massively on the LSD though, the extra torque from the remap meant you couldn't put as much power down as you would like coming out of corners. The torque vectoring shite was no replacement for an LSD.

Dont' get me wrong they are great fun, i really enjoyed mine, and would recommend them to anybody looking for their first foray into hot hatches. I would even own one again, but I couldn't recommend one as a replacement for the S, and equally, I bet Lovegroova wouldn't recommend his 208 GTI as a replacement for an S2000.
I felt the jump from 2nd to 3rd and subsequently was massive. Bizarrely, it wasn't much of an issue in the Focus ST, but that lacked the handling and steering of the Fiesta ST.

I agree, as a replacement for the S in terms of a drivers car an ST isn't up to the task.

Ive given thought to what I would get after the S. Being realistic, the FK2 CTR or a DC5 ITR are the only cars I've driven in my price range that give me the same "fizz" as the S. Ideally though, I'd want an E92 M3, Lotus Evora, 911GTS or V8 Vantage N420, but sadly I'd need a lottery win for that to happen.