Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Best place in Raleigh NC to get collision damage repaired on S2000?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best place in Raleigh NC to get collision damage repaired on S2000?

The question's in the title - where is the absolute best shop to repair front-end collision damage to my yellow AP2?

Had to dodge some debris that came off a truck in front of me and bounced the front driver's side corner off a guardrail.

Both airbags went off, so those need replacing too - is that something I can buy and replace myself, or provide to the shop at a lower price?

I believe the engine is OK - no leaking fluids and the engine restarted to get me back out of traffic and onto the shoulder, although I didn't run it any longer than I needed to in case it had lost coolant or oil I didn't notice.

The front wheel is a bit cockeyed, so I don't know what's bent or knocked out of alignment.

Advice?

Still waiting on a determination from the insurance company about whether it's considered totaled or repairable.

The thing that kills me the most is everything that you don't see in the pics is perfect. No damage to the passenger side, even the driver's door is fine - both windows roll up and down and top works fine. The only interior damage is the airbags.

If I'm able to get this repaired, I want to make sure that the shop I choose is honest and cares about S2000's and will do the repairs right, get good parts for it (even if I have to help source them) and will match the Rio Yellow Pearl perfectly. Up to this point, every panel on the car was original with matching VIN stickers.

This is crushing me...

Last edited by LZeitgeist; 10-05-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Many factors determine best. The highest quality, care, attention to detail, etc is Kenny Hawkins Automotive on Germantown Rd. He has had the contact for all the exotic dealerships at least since 1995. He is a passionate car nut and has quite the collection himself. I think he owned the first Viper in NC.

Buy the way, that car collection was paid for with collision repair, so if cost is part of your 'best' equation, be seated when you get the quote.

Last edited by will010100; 10-06-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Apex Autobody. A lot of us have used them in the past. They do excellent work.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:34 AM

I'm assuming the insurance company will total it, but if they don't and they ask me where I want it to go, then I'd like to have some idea.

Thanks for the suggestions, gents...
Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LZeitgeist
I'm assuming the insurance company will total it, but if they don't and they ask me where I want it to go, then I'd like to have some idea.

Thanks for the suggestions, gents...
If they "total it", DEFINITELY ask how you can buy it back, before anyone else gets the chance! Don't let someone else get your baby. It can be restored for sure mind as well make it yours again.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky
If they "total it", DEFINITELY ask how you can buy it back, before anyone else gets the chance! Don't let someone else get your baby. It can be restored for sure mind as well make it yours again.
I don't know that I can afford to do that. Depends on what they give me, what they list as being broken, and what a shop quotes me for repairs. Right now I can't help but feel I'm going to get screwed.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't despair. I had similar damage to one corner of my front end many years ago when I spun out on some black ice and hit a guardrail. My car looked a lot like yours, except with a completely sheared lower control arm and bent rim. I used Apex Autobody (as others have recommended for years on here). Not sure if Darrin is still there, but he's a perfectionist and has worked on many S2000s before. He did a fantastic job with my car and took the extra time/effort to completely blend the front end and doors so that the Suzuka Blue matched all around. It took some time, but he actually came in under the estimate and saved me some bucks. I'd definitely go with them provided you don't have frame damage and the car isn't totaled.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ofsalesmen
Don't despair. I had similar damage to one corner of my front end many years ago when I spun out on some black ice and hit a guardrail. My car looked a lot like yours, except with a completely sheared lower control arm and bent rim. I used Apex Autobody (as others have recommended for years on here). Not sure if Darrin is still there, but he's a perfectionist and has worked on many S2000s before. He did a fantastic job with my car and took the extra time/effort to completely blend the front end and doors so that the Suzuka Blue matched all around. It took some time, but he actually came in under the estimate and saved me some bucks. I'd definitely go with them provided you don't have frame damage and the car isn't totaled.
Update - it's totaled. I would be tempted to buy her back and have her fixed, but I don't want to be saddled with a Salvage Title - the car held its value beyond all expectation. State Farm is doing me all right - probably won't see a replacement for a few months if that's the way things go, but I can take care of what needs to be handled in the meantime. I'm going to miss this gal terribly. She kept me safe, though. I hate I couldn't do the same for her.

Last edited by LZeitgeist; 10-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LZeitgeist
Update - it's totaled. I would be tempted to buy her back and have her fixed, but I don't want to be saddled with a Salvage Title - the car held its value beyond all expectation. State Farm is doing me all right - probably won't see a replacement for a few months if that's the way things go, but I can take care of what needs to be handled in the meantime. I'm going to miss this gal terribly. She kept me safe, though. I hate I couldn't do the same for her.
I hear ya with the salvage title thing. I wish I was in a better financial position or I might actually buy it and fix her right. Doesn't look like something that should be a "totaled" situation. Cars are looked at as disposable at this point unfortunately.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Track car!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (10-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Best place in Raleigh NC to get collision damage repaired on S2000?