Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates

Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Jek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
I may be at VIR also since the following week I'll be up at Chapel Hill for the entire weekend. I'll know after discuss with family later tonight.

For NASA, if I have a fixed bucket seat/6pt harness on driver side, do I need to match the setup on the passenger side?
I'm a little late on my reply here, but it's worth mentioning that while Brett is technically correct, if you have an instructor it is up to the instructor's discretion as to whether they will ride with you or not. If they will not, then there may be another instructor that would ride with you, but if no instructors will ride with you then you are screwed. So it's usually worthwhile to bring an equal level of protection for your instructor.

My personal choice is that I should have the same "level" of protection as the student, although not neccessarily the same quality of product. For example, if the student has a Recaro bucket with a Schroth 6-point and I have a Kirkey with a G-Force 5 point, that's fine. Same level of protection, mostly just comfort and convenience difference between the two. If the student has a Recaro bucket with a 6-point and the passenger seat is factory with a 3 point belt, no way in hell would I ride in that, and I think most instructors would agree.

That may sound weird since I would ride in a car with entirely factory safety equipment levels, but I think increased safety makes people take more risks and that's not fair to the instructor if they don't have the same level of protection.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jek
I'm a little late on my reply here, but it's worth mentioning that while Brett is technically correct, if you have an instructor it is up to the instructor's discretion as to whether they will ride with you or not. If they will not, then there may be another instructor that would ride with you, but if no instructors will ride with you then you are screwed. So it's usually worthwhile to bring an equal level of protection for your instructor.

My personal choice is that I should have the same "level" of protection as the student, although not neccessarily the same quality of product. For example, if the student has a Recaro bucket with a Schroth 6-point and I have a Kirkey with a G-Force 5 point, that's fine. Same level of protection, mostly just comfort and convenience difference between the two. If the student has a Recaro bucket with a 6-point and the passenger seat is factory with a 3 point belt, no way in hell would I ride in that, and I think most instructors would agree.

That may sound weird since I would ride in a car with entirely factory safety equipment levels, but I think increased safety makes people take more risks and that's not fair to the instructor if they don't have the same level of protection.
I got an email from a NASA-MA rep stating that my setup is good to go, but I appreciate your info and I'll keep your note. I may upgrade the passenger side sooner than later as planned.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just signed up for CMP with PCA on 09/09-10/17 if anyone else is interested.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I signed up to drive two 2-hour stints in the ChumpCar 24hr race at VIR on 8/12-13. Anyone here going to be there?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 PM

Is anyone here going to the THSCC event at VIR on 9/9?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by will010100
Is anyone here going to the THSCC event at VIR on 9/9?
I was hoping to be there but then I realized we have a friends wedding that weekend in Asheville :\

BTW who did you drive for in the 24? Have fun?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Doubt I'm making THSCC since I just got back from Mid-Ohio, though we're skipping NCCAR this weekend.

Speaking of Mid-Ohio, here's the Saturday race on the Pro Course:

Old 08-30-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by humbucker87
I was hoping to be there but then I realized we have a friends wedding that weekend in Asheville :\

BTW who did you drive for in the 24? Have fun?
I drove for Late Apex. The cars had driven in the Laguna race two weeks before and had a lot of reliability issues by the time it reached VIR. One car was in a wreck before my stent, so it didn't handle well when it was my turn to drive.
Silver lining: I met some good people and drove in the dark (albeit briefly). Best of all, I had almost 2 hours of experience catching a car darting off track, so I'll be more comfortable driving my car closer to the limit.

Last edited by will010100; 08-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure how many of you are aware but Randy Pobst lives very close to Atlanta Motorsports Park and frequently visits during track days/nights. While he was standing in the paddock, I asked if he would like to drive my car expected him to decline but he said yes and was waiting all day for someone to ask him to drive their car. He was pretty critical of the way the car handled and I agree with him. So I've got some setup work to do.

Disregard the fact his was his 5th full lap in the car, he was holding a conversation and he had a bit of a ballast in the passenger seat.

Last edited by ckowalc; 08-30-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

and here's the Sunday race on the Club Course

Quick Reply: Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates