Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Differential issues

Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Differential issues

I'm looking for some advise, and perhaps a honest answer about my rear diffential. It makes a whining noise when i make a slow sharp turn, mainly when i'm starting out and turning. I took it to my dealership and they replaced the differential fluid, which was black I heard them oversay. Then they proceeded to tell me that the noise was normal when doing lock to lock turns. I just can't believe that it's normal to have the whining noise. My car is a new 07 and has 1,500 miles on it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...'07 and such lite mileage...I would take it to another dealer.

Just like when we don't like what _we_ hear at a doctor's office... Seriously, get a 2nd opinion. The dealer you took it to may not be familiar enough with S2000s and may be taking the "easy" way out.

This early on...I think you may have a real issue with your rear diff and you definately want that handled ASAP.

I know some folks here on the board have experienced rear diff issues...just recently, nfrs2k. You may want to "PM" him and see if he can describe the sound.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM

I am not sure what lukas2k means by "whine." Are you saying that your car makes a lot more noise than other S2000's? Skin_Graft lives near you, N. Augusta I think. so may you could do a back-to-back comaprison.

However, one of the S2000 noises (music to some) I heard when I first test drove the S was the gear whine from the diff when turning at low speed, like in a parking lot.

90W gear lube is always a pretty dark, stinky stuff. I just changed mine at 14k miles and it looks "black" as it flows out. I replaced it with LE-607 which seems to quiet some of the start-up whine.

I really do not think you have anything to be concerned about. Heck, you have at least 2 years of warranty left.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM

I hope the dealer put in the RIGHT differential fluid after you brought it in

Not to alarm you, but the S2000 has a special diff. fluid from Honda(i.e. NOT the CR-V/Pilot fluid)
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 AM

It's definitely not music to the ears, more like a metal bending whine(like you would hear in a movie when some large metal structure bends, except not as deep of a sound) Yes I do have the 5year 100k warrany, but i still don't like to hear something functioning improperly. I hope the dealer put the right fluid in...no way to know unless I replace it again.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Former Moderator

Again...my suggestion would be to take it to a different dealer...speak with the Service Manager and explain your concerns:
  • The noise (whine)
  • The dealer perhaps misdiagnosing the problem
  • Your concern on rear diff. fluid
Let the "other" dealer help you out... Of course, since you live in Aiken, you can always just go back to the same dealer and speak with the Service Manager there. Explain the concerns and see where it goes.

You gotta think, Aiken probably sees 1% of S2000s in their Service Department as compared to Columbia or even Augusta/Atlanta, etc.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 PM

Next time you're up near Greenville, bring it by and I'll take a look at it. I'm quite familiar with the s2k diff.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:26 PM

The whine that I had in my diff was a very pronounced whine that happened more at high speeds. I would agree with airgate, take it to another dealer or, like Yflyer mentioned, have someone else that is familiar with the car see what they think. Now that I have replaced my diff, I don't really hear anything out of the rear end.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start by taking it to another dealer, perhaps in Columbia since I have been going to the one in Augusta. I'll see what they say and go from there.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by lukas2k,Nov 22 2007, 03:34 PM
It's definitely not music to the ears, more like a metal bending whine(like you would hear in a movie when some large metal structure bends, except not as deep of a sound)
That does not sound good.

Quick Reply: Differential issues