Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Going E85/Flex Fuel

Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I lucked out and found some seemingly nice adapters that convert the EFI fittings on the sensor over to appropriately sized hose barb fittings for the stock fuel return line. They were only $6 for the pair! My ethanol content analyzer should be here on Monday which would be the last physical piece I need for the install. Unfortunately I think I have to go out of town next week for work, ugh.

were did you buy the adapters?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^Autozone! Just ask them for this part number: 800-085

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=839138_0_0_

Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome project, thanks for documenting it so well.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 AM

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm considering doing a flex fuel set up as well....
How have things been running for you? Any issues with the computer maps compensating for the different fuel types/mixes?
Have you changed much since your initial install and/or would you recommend doing things differently if you were going to do it again?
Thanks!
Andrew
Old 06-17-2015, 04:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Andrew. Only a few months after switching to this Flex Fuel setup I decided to rip the SC kit off the car and start an LS1 swap project. I only had about three months experience with it and in that time I kept E85 in it all the time so I didn't have many times when the mix was between E10 and E85. The car ran fine, especially at WOT and idle.

The only "issues" I ever had were under transient throttle conditions such as when you're going 55 MPH over some hilly roads and you are constantly modulating the throttle position to try and stay a constant 55 MPH. Small throttle inputs would sometimes cause a lean condition for a split second that the ECU would correct for, but it would cause a slight hesitation in acceleration. It wasn't noticeable to my passengers as I always asked people if they felt it but they always said no. But being the driver I was capable of feeling the lag between throttle input and result. I spent about two hours one day messing with the transient throttle settings in my Haltech and got it to where it was nearly gone, but it certainly takes some seat time and tuning time on the street to get it perfect.

I went the less expensive route on my Flex Fuel components, electing to buy the smaller sensor and source my own lines and fittings and allow the sensor to simply "hang" in the return line versus trying to find a mounting solution for it. This was completely fine and everything was stable and safely sealed up, but there are cleaner (and more expensive) solutions out there. SOS now makes an awesome kit that includes the sensor, a mounting bracket, all the lines and fittings, etc. for a beautiful install that tucks away under the engine bay. If I were doing it over again I would probably spend the extra cash on their kit just because its so professional.

I would also reserve about four extra hours with my tuner purely for street tuning purposes, or even just leave the car with him for a week and let him drive it himself and make small changes as he did to get it as good on the street as possible. Like I said, it takes a lot of seat time and tuning on the street to get it as close to perfect as possible. But at the end of the day you have to accept that it won't drive like a 100% stock car on the street. You might get it to 95% though, lol.

I think the best benefit (besides the extra power) was that my test pipe smell changed from the typical foul gas and sulfur smell to a subtle and sweet smell of E85. It smelled great!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!