Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Hydrolocked Engine... Can't Believe It Happened

Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocked Engine... Can't Believe It Happened

I think it's time to sell my cold air intake.

So, I went out of town last Thursday night. That day, I drove my car back from work with no issues, right before the sleet started to come down. I left the car parked all weekend on my driveway. Yesterday (Monday) morning, I tried to start the car. The engine turned over but wouldn't catch. At this point, I suspected a weak charge on my battery and attempted a jump start with the same outcome. At that point, I smelled gas in the exhaust and assumed I had some sort of fuel flooding in the cylinders. Since I had to leave for work, I took another car and left the S as is.

After work that evening, I came home and tried cranking it with the fuel injectors unclipped to burn off any excess gas in the cylinder (still assuming it was gas due to the strong smell). After doing that with no success, I pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine over with the starter to push out any fuel. To my shock and surprise, a decent amount of water shot out from each cylinder.

I entered full freak-out mode and dismantled my intake. Lo and behold, the bottom arm was full of water. There was water pooled in the throttle body. There was water in the cylinders. My heart sank as I assumed the worst.

At this point, I turned over the engine a few more times to get out as much water as possible from the cylinders (with the intake off and most water removed from the throttle body). It didn't take long to eject the water. I eventually ended up with fuel mist being shot out of all four cylinders.

I'm still questioning how that much water managed to get into my intake. Being wary of the possibility of hydrolocking with a CAI, I have NEVER driven through a deep/heavy puddle in my car. I blocked off potential flow/trickle passages in the engine bay. The car ran strong up until this Monday, and I can't imagine that one day's worth of precipitation led to that much water getting into my intake...

Regardless, it is what it is. Forget how it got there. There's water in there, so I have to deal with it.

I ran out of time last night, but I plan to do a compression test today. I've been doing a ton of research, but had a few questions that I'll ask you guys:

1) Would a good compression test result necessarily mean that I'm in the clear as far as mechanical damage (i.e., bent rods)? I know there's still some fouling/corrosion on valves and rings that could be an issue, but my main concern right now is a bent rod. Also, would a cold compression test be helpful at all? Obviously, I can't warm up my engine at this point.

2) What other testing should I perform? I plan to do a leakdown test if I can secure an air compressor. What other diagnostics can I do without tearing the engine apart?

3) Any general advice going forward?

Obviously, I'll be uninstalling this intake and changing the oil (which is probably laden with water now). Maybe Seafoam to clean up the combustion chamber a little, if only for peace of mind.

I'm extremely upset right now and wishing I had taken more precautions with shielding the intake, not leaving the car outside, inspecting the intake more often... it goes on and on. But I'm stuck in this situation now and need to deal with it as best as I can. Any support is much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water in your oil? Change oil regardless. If all water was just in top end u might be ok since it never actually turned over. Change plugs, make sure all water is out, change oil and crank. If it starts, let idle for a awhile (as long as no loud knocking noises are there). I'd also adjust valves too just to be safe. Ten change oil again and drive easily. If after that no knocking is present if think u were ok. I had this happen to my civic once. Exact same situation, I did the above and it ran for another 50k before I sold it.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The starter ususally isnt strong enough to bend rods. I'd change the oil and see how it runs, hydrolock at low speed wont mess with anything in the head at all.

A compression test wont tell you much unless a rod is bent reallllly bad. If you have a stick to put down each spark plug hole with some index marks on it you can use that to sort of measure how far each piston comes up and if you see one not come up quite so far then you know you have a bent rod. Assuming the motor ran good before i'd just pop another rod in it if that was the case.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Damn Jon, this is terrible news. Doug's advice is solid and I hope it works out. I'd also pull all the plugs to aid evaporation. You need to get the cylinders completely dry. Ditch the CAI man!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running AEM CAI? I've read somewhere in hear that when the AEM V2 is installed you will get a constant drip on the top of the filter when it rains (something to do with the way it drains ends up landing right where the filter is). People ended up fabbing little umbrellas over the filter to direct the water elsewhere.

Any chance you were running AEM without a cover over the filter?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM

I have an Injen which is the same design as the AEM. I taped off holes above the intake filter but didn't install an umbrella. When I was looking at intakes, I didn't think hydrolocking would be an issue unless I drove through a puddle or otherwise submerged the filter.

I'm still surprised that so much water got in there by trickling onto the filter. Anyway, I'll be working on it tonight. I'm assuming the worst, but I'm hoping that I'm okay since 1) the engine wasn't ever under any load (car was stationary) and 2) it was only cranked for seconds at a time. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Compression results: 150-220-50-220. Cylinders 1 and 3 are trashed.

I guess I'll be doing a rebuild at this point. Any leads on local parts in Raleigh? Looking at connecting rods and maybe a crank for now, but probably more down the road.

Damn this sucks.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Give me a call tomorrow I've got some stuff laying around.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ofsalesmen
Compression results: 150-220-50-220. Cylinders 2 and 4 are trashed.

I guess I'll be doing a rebuild at this point. Any leads on local parts in Raleigh? Looking at connecting rods and maybe a crank for now, but probably more down the road.

Damn this sucks.
Oh man...sorry to hear that Jon!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be cheaper to just get a new block. Sorry to here that man

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine... Can't Believe It Happened