Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Hydrolocked Engine... Can't Believe It Happened

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ofsalesmen
I think it's time to sell my cold air intake.

So, I went out of town last Thursday night. That day, I drove my car back from work with no issues, right before the sleet started to come down. I left the car parked all weekend on my driveway. Yesterday (Monday) morning, I tried to start the car. The engine turned over but wouldn't catch. At this point, I suspected a weak charge on my battery and attempted a jump start with the same outcome. At that point, I smelled gas in the exhaust and assumed I had some sort of fuel flooding in the cylinders. Since I had to leave for work, I took another car and left the S as is.

After work that evening, I came home and tried cranking it with the fuel injectors unclipped to burn off any excess gas in the cylinder (still assuming it was gas due to the strong smell). After doing that with no success, I pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine over with the starter to push out any fuel. To my shock and surprise, a decent amount of water shot out from each cylinder.

I entered full freak-out mode and dismantled my intake. Lo and behold, the bottom arm was full of water. There was water pooled in the throttle body. There was water in the cylinders. My heart sank as I assumed the worst.

At this point, I turned over the engine a few more times to get out as much water as possible from the cylinders (with the intake off and most water removed from the throttle body). It didn't take long to eject the water. I eventually ended up with fuel mist being shot out of all four cylinders.

I'm still questioning how that much water managed to get into my intake. Being wary of the possibility of hydrolocking with a CAI, I have NEVER driven through a deep/heavy puddle in my car. I blocked off potential flow/trickle passages in the engine bay. The car ran strong up until this Monday, and I can't imagine that one day's worth of precipitation led to that much water getting into my intake...

Regardless, it is what it is. Forget how it got there. There's water in there, so I have to deal with it.

I ran out of time last night, but I plan to do a compression test today. I've been doing a ton of research, but had a few questions that I'll ask you guys:

1) Would a good compression test result necessarily mean that I'm in the clear as far as mechanical damage (i.e., bent rods)? I know there's still some fouling/corrosion on valves and rings that could be an issue, but my main concern right now is a bent rod. Also, would a cold compression test be helpful at all? Obviously, I can't warm up my engine at this point.

2) What other testing should I perform? I plan to do a leakdown test if I can secure an air compressor. What other diagnostics can I do without tearing the engine apart?

3) Any general advice going forward?

Obviously, I'll be uninstalling this intake and changing the oil (which is probably laden with water now). Maybe Seafoam to clean up the combustion chamber a little, if only for peace of mind.

I'm extremely upset right now and wishing I had taken more precautions with shielding the intake, not leaving the car outside, inspecting the intake more often... it goes on and on. But I'm stuck in this situation now and need to deal with it as best as I can. Any support is much appreciated.

Damn man, really sorry to hear about this happening to you.

However, I'm 100% confused as to how your engine sustained damage. How the heck does a CAI accumulate water within when the car is just sitting there, not on!? I've been running a CAI on my Integra for 12+ years now, and twice while running at near idle speed I've accidentally sucked up enough water to shut off the engine. No damage either time. I don't see how the forces involved could be enough to damage an engine in that situation.

I'm really sorry, and good luck with the rebuild!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The AEM V2 has a low point in it that can hold water. OP may have an older model because the new models have a duck bill drain in them to let any accumulation out. I've had a newer V2 for years and have never seen a drop in it. It is curious that you could get enough water to flood all four cylinders though...are we sure there isn't water in the tank? I've worked on an S that had over 4 gallons of water in the tank!

I'd seriously check your tank ofsalesman. The fact that the motor didn't start is strange. It usually takes a lot of effort to pull such a small amount of water out of the CAI, and I don't think there would be enough volume to pull it up the tube just cranking it.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB
The AEM V2 has a low point in it that can hold water. OP may have an older model because the new models have a duck bill drain in them to let any accumulation out. I've had a newer V2 for years and have never seen a drop in it. It is curious that you could get enough water to flood all four cylinders though...are we sure there isn't water in the tank? I've worked on an S that had over 4 gallons of water in the tank!

I'd seriously check your tank ofsalesman. The fact that the motor didn't start is strange. It usually takes a lot of effort to pull such a small amount of water out of the CAI, and I don't think there would be enough volume to pull it up the tube just cranking it.
Not a bad idea. For the record, I have an Injen and I'm not sure if it's closer to the older or newer AEM design. It does have a low point where I found a good amount of accumulation, so I am pretty certain that the water came from the intake.

As for that much water accumulating, it could have very well been there for a while, just filling up more and more over time. Maybe it took this last rainfall to finally fill it up to the point where it got drawn into the throttle body and cylinders. It is a mystery since the car was parked since Thursday and ran like a champ in the last few days/weeks.

I know I should get rid of the CAI, but I do love the sound. Injen makes a water-repelling shield that goes over the filter, but it seems like a way to fix the symptom rather than the cause, y'know? Might try and get my hands on a K&N FIPK now.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Sorry to hear about this Jon, was looking forward to seeing you at this years dragon events. Hopefully everything gets worked out with relative ease!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Jon, this sucks. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Hopefully with a little effort you'll be back up and running without a major hit to your wallet.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

AEM-style design is just bad imo - no benefits over other CAIs and some big disadvantages. When you get your engine back together, just get a K&N FIPK and call it a day.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
AEM-style design is just bad imo - no benefits over other CAIs and some big disadvantages. When you get your engine back together, just get a K&N FIPK and call it a day.
If you have to go with the FIPK stay stock. It's a downgrade. The new AEM has a drain and does not hold water. I've been running one since 2007.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Fwiw, me and a friend did roll ons with stock and K&N intakes. The K&N consistently had quicker throttle response, sounds better, and supposedly grants a few hp. Can't think how it would be a downgrade, especially with the reusable filter.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Fwiw, me and a friend did roll ons with stock and K&N intakes. The K&N consistently had quicker throttle response, sounds better, and supposedly grants a few hp. Can't think how it would be a downgrade, especially with the reusable filter.
The thing about that is that stock S2000's can have up to 15hp differences in power depending on age and how it was built. I can't recommend the K&N oil style filter. It does a poor job of filtering the air compared to a stock filter, and you have to clean and oil it which is a pain IMHO. I'm a fan of the reusable dryflo style filters though. My overall gripe with the FIPK though is that it's just cheaply built. For what you get it's way overpriced. YMMV.

That being said, I run my V2 because it sounds good. That's it. It does add a little throttle response and a smidge of midband, but the roar is what keeps it on the car. (Oh and the fact that you could sleep under the hood with all the extra space.)

You still in Charlotte?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 AM

Yup for now - I miss the windy roads north of Raleigh, but at least Charlotte's closer to Fontana.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine... Can't Believe It Happened