Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Living in Durham-Raleigh. What's it like?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living in Durham-Raleigh. What's it like?

I'm currently researching possible locations on where I may want to move to, and am looking for some feedback and thoughts on what it's like to live in NC, more specifcallly, in the Durham-Raleigh area, and surrounding cities. My family and I currently live in Dallas, Texas, and have lived here for almost a year. While there's nothing specifically wrong with Dallas, I am in a fortunate position recently getting a job flexible enough to work from anywhere. That, combined with the fact that I am not interested in paying rent long term, and a wish to buy a house at some stage, has me on a mission to research potential areas to live. The reason for looking at Durham or Raleigh is that my company has a large office within the area, which makes it easy for me to have access to resources when needed. Also, part of the reason that I was attracted to the area was how beautiful and green everything is (when compared to Dallas), as well as it's closer proximity to the beach (2 hours vs 8+ hours).

If you can give me any feedback on your experiences living in the area, whether you have lived here all your life, or, if you moved here from another city, would really help me out a lot. The main things that are important to me are somewhere reasonably peaceful, clean, green and beautiful, with good schools (from primary to college, if we settle down, I'd like my kids to go to a decent school, be it private or public), decent shopping (malls and other outlets) and outdoor activities (I drive my S2000 with the top down 95% of the time, and really miss driving on winding roads. Also, my family and I miss the ocean A LOT, and, I love mountain biking).

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
mlc

It is always really a subjective thing when you ask a questions like this.

I have lived in several southern cities and am orginally from NY and really like it. It is a great place to raise kids. You get a good bang for your buck as far as housing relative to most places. The schools can be shaky depending on what county you live. I am in Wake county and find the primary schools pretty good overall. Some of the outer counties are really not very good. There are several very good private schools in the area but be prepared to pay. Secondary schools here are good. You have UNC, Duke and NC State all within 30 miles or so. Traffic is relative but compaired to NY it is great. You have the normal morning and afternoon issues but that is about it. There are 3 malls and a new outlet mall within 30 miles or so.

As far as driving the S. We DO have a winter here and there are several months that you won't drive it much if it isn't your DD. You are about 4 hours from the Dragon and the mountains and about 3 hours from the beach. We do get together every month in Raleigh and have a good time.

As for the MTB. I just brought my bike in for a major overhaul and there is a pretty decent mountain biking community around here. Check out trianglemtb.com for some more info. There is also EPIC trails in the western part of the state around 3 to 4 hours from here.

I hope that helped some...

Kevin
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Hey Kevin,

Thanks, that does help. And I know what you mean about it being "subjective". I was hesitant at first to post, because I didn't want to start a potential argument (as most subjective things can tend to do), but I know for the most part, the S2Ki members are quite friendly and helpful When you say you DO have a winter, I am guessing you're talking about weeks and weeks of snow fall, with no possibility of driving the S (unless I'm prepared to have two sets of tyres) right? Also, coming from NY, did you ever feel like you are missing out anything that NY offered but you can necessarily have in NC?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 AM
mlc

No I am not talking about that much snow. It snowed maybe 4 times this winter and was fairly cold. You can certainly get by with a good set of winter tires and some caution. The good thing about around here if it does snow AT ALL pretty much everything shuts down so there really isn't a need to drive and as a rule it will melt off the roads quickly. Sorry to give the wrong impression but some people think because it is NC that it is 75* all year round.

Probably the only thing from NY that I miss is the food. The restaurants in NY are excellent. Here you have to do some searching to find a good one. They are around you just have to do some hunting to find them. Besides that not a thing, when I do go back it looks old and well, dirty compaired to here. Remember most things here are fairly new, 5 years old or less so newer designs ect.

I would say the best thing to do if you can is come and spend some time here, say a week, so you can see traffic in the morning and evening and get a feel for the place.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM

Been in Northern Durham for a lonnnngggg time... I love it. Where else do you have all the seasons and 2 of the top college basketball programs/traditions w/in a 10 mile radius? Winding roads, plenty of them. The schools are good, but if you want upper echelon Chapel Hill is right up the road. Plenty of malls, lakes, beach is only a 1 1/2 or few hrs depending on which one. You'll love it
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Raleigh is nice. I live out in Apex which gives me a 30 minute commute to work but the traffic isn't terrible and the housing costs are much lower outside the city. There is an elementary middle and high school all within a few miles of my house. The best part is Myrtle Beach is only 3 hours away and we have a condo there. And the mountains are only 4.5 - 5 hours the other way. The weather is nice 7-8 months out of the year. And the S2k community is pretty big in Raleigh.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

it's like....

Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I've been all over the USA, and NC was where I wanted to live. Its relatively inexpensive, new, great roads, green, has four seasons, but doesn't get nasty like the north, it can be 70° in January so you get breaks from winter, my S runs summer tires all year and is usually top down (although others here can't believe I do that), its 2 hours to the beach, 3 to the mountains, etc etc... Chapel Hill is still pretty much the best public university in the nation and its a bargain, but its so popular only about 30% of applicants get in anymore. Still the entire state university system is very strong.

Also, the owners community is active and strong, there's the Dragon, several other group drives... etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm southeast in Clayton and love it here. I moved from Baton Rouge two years ago and don't miss it. The weather is great, there are hills, and like everyone said above, there are so many good places within driving distance. The roads are some of the best, and when they decide to redo the pavement, it isn't like the gulf states where it takes 3 years. They repaved a 17 mile section of two lane US64 here in two weeks. My road had some bad spots and the repaved a few spots of it in hours. The equipment appeared, did the work, and was gone. *poof*

Taxes are higher, but I feel like they do something here. Cary is a nice spot too that's not far from Durham. Something to look into. I know a lot of the burbs are close to the cities they surround so you can always find a short commute.

The state is VERY clean and very green, and they have a ridiculous amount of really good state parks.

What company are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 AM

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it's been quite informative and helpful. I appreciate it.

Kevin: I agree, I think I do need to come up for a visit for at least a week to get a feel for the area, and to see what I think in person. I might do this probably late summer or in the fall.

SgtB: I am not working for a specific company, as I am a consultant, but would like to be near RTP (Research Triangle Park) as a lot of my clients have offices in that area.

Perhaps when I do come up, I can meet up with some of you and go for a drive (I'll have a rental unfortunately, rather than my S, but such is life). Thanks again for all the advice everyone

Quick Reply: Living in Durham-Raleigh. What's it like?