Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New baby is finally home

Old 04-25-2016, 04:43 AM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Eh, still getting the clicking/clunking. Since I wasn't getting any vibration to begin with I'll be taking the spacers off soon and posting them for sale. Car did really well at the dragon, very impressed with the RS3s in the wet...didn't think they had that much traction, but they did really well.
The clicking is from the rear bearings not the inner cups. Once they start to go bad retorquing the axle nuts may help for a while but it usually comes back.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Kev...I just did a retorque about 2 months ago.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 AM
mlc

So if you have to do the bearings you might as well also swap the cups while you have everything apart.

Can you hear the clicking from one side?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:32 AM

Seems like passenger side, but not 100%. Tempted just to order new axles. The car has 30k on it...the bearings shouldnt be going bad!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 AM
mlc

Seems like passenger side, but not 100%. Tempted just to order new axles. The car has 30k on it...the bearings shouldnt be going bad!
Don't order the solid axles from most parts places or the refurbished ones. The OEM ones are hollow and very good quality. The bearings go bad because the axle nuts were not torqued to the correct specs keep in mind those 30K miles weren't exactly "gentle". Why would you spend money on new axles when you can just put new bearings in it swap the cups and be done?

Welcome to the world of AP1
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM

idk...just seems easier in my head. Was looking at both OEM and the Driveshaft Shop versions (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...evel-2-9-axles). The click/clunk is only on initial movement either forward or reverse; more pronounced in reverse. I'll check for bearing play when I have the car in the air this weekend.

well...doesnt sound like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8LqinHGnU
Old 04-25-2016, 08:40 AM
mlc

Your going to spend a $1000 on something that can be fixed correctly for about $120 for both rear bearings???? You might have to pay someone a couple of bucks to press out the old ones and press in the new ones. Doesn't sound like the tight ass Brett I know

Mine actually sounded like the brakes were dragging just a little bit when I turned and then just kept getting worse.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mlc
Your going to spend a $1000 on something that can be fixed correctly for about $120 for both rear bearings???? You might have to pay someone a couple of bucks to press out the old ones and press in the new ones. Doesn't sound like the tight ass Brett I know

Mine actually sounded like the brakes were dragging just a little bit when I turned and then just kept getting worse.
Actually that's EXACTLY what it sounds like, but going straight too. The car is so damn noisy I have a hard time distinguishing the sounds
Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mlc' timestamp='1461602405' post='23947758

Actually that's EXACTLY what it sounds like, but going straight too. The car is so damn noisy I have a hard time distinguishing the sounds
I thought I had a rock in my brake pads! Swapped out pads and everything still same noise only on the passenger side though.

Sure enough bad bearing. You don't need to swap cups unless it's vibrating.

The D-man or I can help you with doing the bearing. Be the tight wad we know you are and order up a bearing and just do the side the is messed up.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1461603536' post='23947780
[quote name='mlc' timestamp='1461602405' post='23947758']

I thought I had a rock in my brake pads! Swapped out pads and everything still same noise only on the passenger side though.

Sure enough bad bearing. You don't need to swap cups unless it's vibrating.

The D-man or I can help you with doing the bearing. Be the tight wad we know you are and order up a bearing and just do the side the is messed up.
[/quote]

Thanks Jim. Will get some bearings ordered next payday and go ahead and rip the knuckles out this weekend. Might as well do both and hopefully selling the spacers will net me a zero-loss on the new bearings.

Quick Reply: New baby is finally home