Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New baby is finally home

Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Brett! Where are at now with a replacement?
New heart is on the way to Inline Pro for a transplant. Will post all the details once things come to fruition.

btw...road trip
Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Will post all the details once this thing is back running and everything is buttoned up, but for now, I'll send a few pics.

New baby is finally home-oqzgt8r.jpg

New baby is finally home-spckuux.jpg
Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM

She lives again...and pretty decent numbers I must say

New baby is finally home-pytlfj0.jpg
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time lurker here. Those are very good NA numbers from what I've seen in other threads. Willing to share the details of your new engine?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2K Someday
Long time lurker here. Those are very good NA numbers from what I've seen in other threads. Willing to share the details of your new engine?
2.4L Inline Pro build
12.5:1 pistons
Stage 2.5 head
4 puck clutch
Stock cams, injectors, header and pump
Berk 3" headerback exhaust

These are actually rather low numbers for a 2.4, but I needed to keep the power as low as I could to not outclass myself (and I was already overbudget). If the HC1 dudes start running higher numbers, I'll look at doing a fuel system upgrade later down the line. I'll detail things a bit more once I've got the car back and things are settled.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That mean you're actually going to run H1?
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (04-02-2021)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
That mean you're actually going to run H1?
I guess that's the ultimate plan now. I've practically got a TT3 car now and I'd get my ass handed to me by the M3s and vettes. The power being low, I'm going to see what I weigh now in August and go from there.

----

Okay, I'll try and document the past 3 months the best I can now that the car is fully back home and running. After my failed attempts to source a salvage s2k from IAAI, a buddy texted me a facebook post where a prominent member of the s2k community was selling his built F24 w/ 10:1 compression and IPs stage 2.5 head. He advertised that it only had 10k on the clock, and it came out of one of the ex-employee's car who worked at inline pro. The seller had it supercharged w/ meth injection for the time he owned it (about 5000 miles) and was selling because he was going through a divorce. Price tag was $5k and he wasn't budging; but it did have all the upgrades, he stated the compression numbers were good, and given his social leanings and good feedback on this forum, I felt confident I was buying a good motor for a good price. So we worked out a shipping deal (I paid for that too) to Inline Pro, and he shipped within days of payment and communicated with me very well. The motor arrived at Inline Pro during the week, and I took the car up that weekend and dropped it off with IP. I made notes for them to check the driveshaft bolts (since those had mysteriously backed out), gut the AC, and asked them to do a bore scope inspection of the motor before starting work just to be sure. Christian, who I was working with at IP, was very helpful and communicated on and off with me via text and phone, but they were (and are) pretty swamped. A few days later Christian called with bad news. The bore scope results didn't look promising, but he wanted to inform me that they were seeing scoring on the cylinder walls and that the head was rather gummed up. I asked him what he would do in my situation, and he said he would contact the seller and see if I could get a refund, and if not, if the seller would help me with any repair costs. So I did just that. Refund was not on the table, but he did say that he would help me with the repair costs up to a point. He was politely and respectfully defensive of the situation; standing by that the motor was in perfect shape when he took it out and was running fine and didn't even burn a drop of oil. All oil changes done in 3000 mile intervals or less he said. I told him I understood his position and would appreciate any help financially he would be willing to make things right. We had the conversation a few times over the course of all of this, but during the last one, where I finally received a quote for the repairs, that was the last he spoke with me. I sent pics of the scoring and invited him to call IP to hear it from them personally. Nada. IP wanted to do a full rebuild, and since it would require a slight overbore, to sleeve the block, put in 12.5:1 compression pistons, clean the head up, and get the car tuned. I also kicked around their F22 build, using their longblock to the tune of $7k, and keep the F24 to build later as a spare motor in case this shit happened again; but ultimately I cleared them to do the F24 rebuild with a conservative tune to not class me into something like TT2. Total bill came to something like $5900 after a credit on my old trashed F20. Esh, so I'm basically $11k into this thing by now, and the seller has basically abandoned me.

A week or two goes by and Christian calls again. The build is done (hence the pic above), but the car keeps blowing alternator fuses and they can't figure it out. They've replace the harness, bypassed the alternator, and as soon as they turn the key...pop. I thanked them for their diligence, but I didn't have any ideas other than maybe the ECU harness was bad? They said they had even replaced that too. A week later he called and informed me it was the ECU itself. Good thing it was under warranty! So they shipped the old one to AEM and got another Infinity installed, did the tune...and here we are. Christian said that with injectors and even the stock fuel pump I could squeeze a considerable amount more power from the motor, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I get classed later this year, maybe run 2020 with this tune or bump the power to be competitive. Gotta go through comp school first! IP was great to work with and while the project timeline was WAY over, you cant account for things going south, like ECUs blowing alternator fuses. Only complaint is they did lose my front towhook, and Christian has offered to order me another one and ship it to me at no charge. We'll see if that panes out because WHO CAN YOU TRUST ANYMORE?!

Test drove it around their parking lot and the 4 puck clutch they installed to handle the power is gonna take some getting used to, but just glad I didn't stall it out! Ken met me up there in Grover (his blue CR) to chat while I got the car onto the trailer and loaded up. Towed back home in great weather until I got about 20 minutes from the house and then it started pouring down rain. Unloaded and she's in the garage.

Current list of things to do over the summer since it's too hot to be at the track with no cool suit:

1. Fix brakes. Sometimes the pedal will not return to the top. Texted Stephen and he's thinking bleed the brakes and if that doesn't fix it it's a vacuum problem that needs to be diagnosed.
2. Install kill switch
3. Install fire extingusher
4. Either install a seat back brace or get a new seat to be compliant with regs.

I'm just really glad to have the car back and running, but damn that was a big bill. Hindsight being 20/20...I really probably should have just taken it to IP and said "Make it run again as reliably and cost effectively as possible" That would have saved me at least $4k. Hey...live and learn. But now I have a 2.4 stroker s2k and this should be fun. Alls well that ends well I guess.

TLDR; Bought a used F24 from a so-i-thought reputable member of s2ki, got screwed, rebuilt by IP with new 12.5:1 compression. Still got a few things to do before getting back out there.

Now this is how you fuel up efficiently:

New baby is finally home-sq90xit.jpg
Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story Brett, sorry to hear you got hosed on the engine but I guess that's the risk you take when buying used stuff. As they say, "the proof's in the pudding's in the eating"

Let me know if you need any help with the car, always down to help!
RedCelica (06-04-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Drama sucks, but looking forward to driving impressions.
RedCelica (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Well found the solution to my brake issue and got that buttoned up tonight. Apparently, and since it demonstrated a problem back in October before the engine went, my cage guy forgot to put the nuts and bolt back on the brake pedal assembly that holds the brake pedal to the firewall. Which means I ran an entire day on track with the pedal technically not bolted to the car. I have no further words other than I'm glad it didn't go south. Rather have a blown motor than a brake failure. Anyway, time to bleed the brakes in July to get ready for an August shake down at VIR. Hope to see yall there.

Kill switch and cables are on order. Just need to find myself a HC legal fire extinguisher. Any recommendations?
Pinky (06-07-2019)

Quick Reply: New baby is finally home