Carolinas A Better Place to Be

The OFFICIAL Charlotte Chat Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I just got the glovebox organizer from starrman as well. It is very convenient. But it does in fact require that you still have a glovebox in order to use one. I also use his windscreen camera mount and like it very much. He makes a lot of good products. I reminded him yesterday of how lucky we are as a community to have guys like him that pioneered some of the earliest trinkets for our cars that are still on the market today. Bob's an older dude, but he still drives a KW supercharged S2K. I think that's awesome.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my coverage from my visits to ASM, Spoon and Amuse are up in my build thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106.../page__st__100

check it out and let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The repairs to my car have been done, and now she's getting ready for an all over paint job. Pics when I get it back! It's been hard waiting to get her back.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats to people who are moving their car forward in progress. Can't say the same for mine.

So I am 99% sure this is a valve cover gasket leak. I know ap1s burn oil but not 2 Quarts per 1000 miles so it must've been a leak.

It looks like its not enough to drip out on the floor when car is off but will push out when engine is on. Ive been checking my oil every time I drive it and was wondering why I keep having to top it each trip.

My question is, what else should I do once I have the valve cover off?

-Tube seals?
-Valve stem seals?
-Check retainers, if bad get ap2 retainers?
-Another Valve adjustment?

The mechanic who did my valve adjustment said he did do it but I was not there to witness it. So if he did do it, he might have rushed it and pinched the gasket. Yea, might have to hit up coolguy for valve adjustment. Wadzii from Raleigh also offered a fair quote to do retainers but I am not comfortable at the moment to drive my car 2 hours to his shop.

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM

Yeah looks like its just leaking out the valve cover seal. You can buy a new gasket kit from Honda, comes with the VC gasket and the five bolt gaskets. I'd at least check the cams/rockers for wear which could mean a retainer issue and check the valve clearances, adjusting if necessary.

More than likely whoever adjusted your valves didn't torque the VC bolts progressively and in the correct pattern (and probably not to torque spec).

As you mentioned I can help you out with all this.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM

I know this coupon expires tomorrow, but I'm sure it will pop back up again. If any of you guys (particularly the track guys) are tired of cranking your lug nuts off with a breaker bar when you swap wheels or change pads/rotors, I bought this Harbor Freight electric impact a few months ago. I had low expectations but it has plenty of power to get my lug nuts off (I torque to ~85 ft-lbs). Spins em off quick and I use it to quickly spin them back on too (but only with light trigger pressure, I tighten to final torque with a torque wrench). It cut my wheel swap time and effort drastically. The battery charges pretty quickly and last quite a while. I've forgotten to charge between events several times and never had a problem.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...l_s1022_c3014b

LMK if the link doesn't work for some reason.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My track bud has this and agree its nice to spin lugs off and on. His doesn't want to break lugs loose at 85lb-ft but once started, it drastically cuts time for tire or brake swaps.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM

As long as the lug nuts were properly torqued the last time they were installed, I don't see any problem using this impact to remove the nuts. Sharp peak forces like that of an impact wrench are less likely to strip threads off of a fastener compared to applying steadily increasing force like leaning harder and harder on a breaker bar. Of course I always recommend a small dab of anti-seize on all wheels lugs (and spark plugs). A tiny bit of anti-seize can save you from the massive PITA of removing your hub and replacing your lugs. You know how it is, lol.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Completely agree that there's no issue, I'm just saying he has that electric impact and it WON'T break the lugs loose after they're torqued to 85. Believe me, we've tried. We change brakes and tires a LOT at the track.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
Completely agree that there's no issue, I'm just saying he has that electric impact and it WON'T break the lugs loose after they're torqued to 85. Believe me, we've tried. We change brakes and tires a LOT at the track.
Sorry, I misread your post as saying "He doesn't want to break lugs loose...". My bad, hahah.

So C&C this Saturday. Looks like the weather might be crappy over the next couple days. Kinda a bummer, was planning on coming out. But if its raining I'll probably just sleep in, lol.

And its my birthday this Sunday!

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Charlotte Chat Thread