Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Shady Valley Run

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shady Valley Run

Doug (DougEFresh) and I got to talking and decided it has been far too long since we made a run up to Shady Valley. We plan on heading up that way Sunday October 5th (the day after the Zaino Clinic) and wanted to invite anyone else interested in joining in.

The drive will be very loosely organized. We will be leaving from Charlotte at 8:00AM and should arrive at Mountain City, TN at 10:00AM to 10:30AM (we try to drive pretty leasurely on the way up there). From there we'll head on to Shady Valley. You've pretty much got 3 - 5 to 8 Mile runs from the main intersection of 421 & 91 to choose from. So an "out and back" to the main intersection takes about 30 minutes (including plenty of time to bs in between). So the idea is to do some runs until we get hungry. Head back to Mountain City for some lunch. Then back to Shady for a few more out and backs before heading home at 3:00PM to 4:00PM. You'll be home in time for dinner.

If you think you want to join in, just post up and we'll get you on the list.

1. DougEFresh
2. _rs_
3. Airgate (maybe)
4. my2ks2k (maybe)
5. Jack
Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come on guys!!! we need atleast one more person so that there will a car in between mine and Ricks so that road debris won't hit my car again. haha!!!! We had a blast last time, i promise everyone will like 181.

Doug
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM

No question Shady Valley has some decent twisties....but I still prefer the Dragon.

A few of us were up there in the spring...NOT a good trip...with one S pretty much totaled...going over the edge and down the mountain side about 50-60 ft...stopped by a tree (thankfully).

Just BEWARE...the tow truck driver mentioned that the locals HATE people up there enjoying the roads...and have even gone so far as to pour oil on the roads, or scatter nails, etc...so be very careful...some of those TN mountain folk are not too friendly.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sheadlee,Sep 18 2008, 01:20 PM
No question Shady Valley has some decent twisties....but I still prefer the Dragon.

A few of us were up there in the spring...NOT a good trip...with one S pretty much totaled...going over the edge and down the mountain side about 50-60 ft...stopped by a tree (thankfully).

Just BEWARE...the tow truck driver mentioned that the locals HATE people up there enjoying the roads...and have even gone so far as to pour oil on the roads, or scatter nails, etc...so be very careful...some of those TN mountain folk are not too friendly.
The Dragon is hard to do as a day trip. Last time we were there we had no issues at all. Hoping this time is as much fun!!!

-Doug
Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Love to joined you guys, but it would too far for a day trip drive from Raleigh. Have fun.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DougEFresh,Sep 18 2008, 06:21 PM
The Dragon is hard to do as a day trip. Last time we were there we had no issues at all. Hoping this time is as much fun!!!

-Doug

I don't consider the Dragon a day trip, either...5 hard hours...each way.

However, it still took between 3-4 hours to get to Shady Valley from the Greensboro area...and if I had known that it was in TN, then I might have begged off.

I'm going to start investigating what appear to be nice twisty roads in Northern/Northwestern NC...to see if I can find something closer.

Good luck guys...and be safe!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sheadlee,Sep 18 2008, 03:53 PM

I don't consider the Dragon a day trip, either...5 hard hours...each way.

However, it still took between 3-4 hours to get to Shady Valley from the Greensboro area...and if I had known that it was in TN, then I might have begged off.

I'm going to start investigating what appear to be nice twisty roads in Northern/Northwestern NC...to see if I can find something closer.

Good luck guys...and be safe!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM

bump
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks for posting Steve & Tomas. Maybe we'll get you guys out there next time.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can add me as tentative...I need new front tires for my other wheels...if they come in and I'm able to get 'em swapped out, then I'm in.

Lotta ifs...sorry.

Place me as tentative. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Shady Valley Run