Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Tech Day

Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tech Day

It's been a few years since we've had a proper TECH day. Now is the time to start planning something.

Date:
Location: Ideally a large, shaded, flat area. Barn? Airplane hanger? Someone have lifts?
Services: Fluids, Brakes, Soft-tops (Tphong?), Retainers/Valve Adjustment (if engine is cold, ie - having the car at the location the night before), Aftermarket parts install, radiator flush, whatever else you want...

Usually BYOFood and BYOTools (but people will share specialty tools)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i was thinking about the same thing.
i need to change all my fluids since i never drive anymore and it has been years since the last interval.
i have a 2.5 car garage and plenty of land if no one else has a space.

i an in NE raleigh, so may be able to coordinate a time after the Wake Forest C&C
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm up for it.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I tried this and posted to HOST 2+ years ago but like nobody showed. Located on the Pittsboro side of Jordan Lake on RT 64.

I have a 3 car garage NO LIFT.(neighbor has 2 but we aren't THAT good friends) I have 2 jacks, 4 jack stands and enough tools to dismantle an S2000 to the frame! I know how to replace retainers, flush brakes, bearings, valve adjustments, shocks, etc.

Just need to know well in advance of when this would be so I can clear it with the wife and make sure the garage is EMPTY and place is ready to go.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

As I kind of fell into this recently I will put it out there for those that might not have the time, knowledge, or ability to really wrench on their own cars. I would happily do some lighter mechanics work in which I could COME TO YOU and your garage to work on your S. This way valve adjustments can be done upon arrival and not have to plan ahead for letting the car sit. Same goes for fluid changes etc. Most my experience is with AP1's but AP2's should not vary but I will double check before if there is any doubts.

Having parted out an entire S2000, swapped suspension, brakes & rotors, diff, tranny, engine, valve adjustments, AP1 to AP2 retainer swaps, bearing replacements, K-Pro conversion(oil pan, cam timing, stereo installs etc. and of course fluid changes are easy at that point. I have done most all there is to do except internal mechanical work, welding & paint. I used to detail cars before power buffers etc. really got to be what they are today. A disk and / OR D.A. power buffer is on the potential buy list at some point.

I don't have any specific set prices at this point because well this is more hobby than JOB but we can figure out what is well let's be honest......fair and reasonable. The prices I heard for valve adjustment alone made me gag!(not fair nor reasonable IMO)

Please PM me if there is any interest.(I am located around where 64 crosses Jordan Lake on the Pittsboro side)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

My name's David, somewhat recent NC transplant (4 years ago) in Durham that picked up his first S2000 two years ago and have been lurking S2KI ever since. I am super interested in a tech day! I have some basic/intermediate skill with a wrench, I can do pads/fluids and some suspension work but I shy away from the hard stuff. I had been getting ready to do a couple of things; shifter re-grease, IACV clean, clutch pedal adjustment/bleed among them.

However, this past week my car has started to idle rough (~1 to 1.1K idle that does and doesn't fluctuate while the engine sputters a lightly but eventually goes away), then yesterday I got a check engine light which was a P0303 cylinder #3 misfire : (. I know I should start swapping around plugs/coils and checking numerous other things but I have never done that stuff before. Since I know worse case it could be the head gasket or a bent valve, I figured I would take the opportunity to inspect those things, do a valve adjustment, replace the retainers, etc... but all of that is way beyond my comfort zone, I figured I would take it to J.Mills tuning since that was recommended by someone else on here in another thread, but if there is anyone willing to help me during a tech day I would jump at the opportunity to learn how to do this stuff!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sp0nger
Hey everyone,

My name's David, somewhat recent NC transplant (4 years ago) in Durham that picked up his first S2000 two years ago and have been lurking S2KI ever since. I am super interested in a tech day! I have some basic/intermediate skill with a wrench, I can do pads/fluids and some suspension work but I shy away from the hard stuff. I had been getting ready to do a couple of things; shifter re-grease, IACV clean, clutch pedal adjustment/bleed among them.

However, this past week my car has started to idle rough (~1 to 1.1K idle that does and doesn't fluctuate while the engine sputters a lightly but eventually goes away), then yesterday I got a check engine light which was a P0303 cylinder #3 misfire : (. I know I should start swapping around plugs/coils and checking numerous other things but I have never done that stuff before. Since I know worse case it could be the head gasket or a bent valve, I figured I would take the opportunity to inspect those things, do a valve adjustment, replace the retainers, etc... but all of that is way beyond my comfort zone, I figured I would take it to J.Mills tuning since that was recommended by someone else on here in another thread, but if there is anyone willing to help me during a tech day I would jump at the opportunity to learn how to do this stuff!
303 might be #3 coil pack. I just did mine on #2. Works fine.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im down, Lets do this
Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im down.

Pinky I need my ap1 retainers swapped to ap2.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to join, depending on timing. My soft top is on its last legs and I will likely get a replacement this spring when I take off the hard top. Is anyone else interested in getting Toyo (TPhong) to come to the Triangle for a soft top replacement? We can likely get a discounted rate if he comes down for 2-3 jobs.

Quick Reply: Tech Day