Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > North America East > Carolinas
Reload this Page >

Y'all ready for Florence?!

Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Y'all ready for Florence?!

Old 09-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 284 Likes on 265 Posts

The brand name is ProTran2 by Reliance Controls. The panel is available in 120vAC or 240vAC versions with the appropriate inlet receptacle and with or without the meter(s). The 240v model has two meters with the recommendation the owner run things and then change connections if needed to equalize both sides of the generator load. With six (6) 15 amp breakers I could run 90 amps and if I replaced the A and B breakers with 20a versions (the wiring is of sufficient grade) I could run 100 amps. But the genset I'm using really only produces 25 amps continually.

Storm damage here in Richmond as of 1600 local time today. Massive branch! It's a good thing Virginia is so "white" that President Trump will ensure FEMA gets to my house ASAP or should this be in the political thread that's running already "protesting" the pitiful response for a storm that has not yet occurred other than in my back yard. My mini Dachshunds did NOT like this branch and their barking at it was what alerted me.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 09-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Chuck
- So does this then basically OPEN UP breakers in your main panel?
- Obviously you need to take up at least 3 spots(1 double pole and 1 single pole breaker). I need to get some extra breakers so I can wire something to my shed for power & 1 or 2 more circuits for the garage.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

s2k is safely inside the trailer, which I'll move a couple hundred feet down the driveway tonight so as to not be in the path of any trees that might fall. Truck and tractor are full and we've 20 gallons of diesel in cans just in case. Honda eu3000is is full and I've got 36 gallons in reserve, enough to run it wide open for ~10 or be more selective about usage and run it for ~15 days. Electrician stopping by later today to wire in a 50 amp connection to the house panel - figure that way if I ever upgrade to a larger generator later I don't have to re-do the wiring. Really just trying to power the well and fridge, plus keeping phones charged and possibly internet up.

It's a bit early but I also started the time-lapse like I did last year with Irma. The 128gb card will run a 5s interval for 26 hours, so I'll plan to pull the files down tonight after dark so I can keep it going again tomorrow and play with the video settings to either make it longer or adjust the frame rate.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 AM

Pinky --

The installation manual for the Protran 2 is in my last post and should answer your questions.

Executive Summary:

The wiring only goes thru the generator box breakers when the circuits are being powered by the generator. The breakers in your main box are still used when the line power is on.

The wiring provides two (2) power inlets to the switch box and the switches there determine what feeds the house circuits. GEN or LINE. (Or OFF.) The inputs are totally isolated. The house breakers do not have to be fiddled and the Master Power line breaker from the power company is not touched. When the line power comes back on all the circuits not routed thru "the box" come on automatically with the genset still powering the other circuits until the switches in the box are moved from GEN to LINE.

There are, of course, totally automatic boxes to do this but with a portable genset they don't make sense.

Murphy's Law of Available Generators seems to have diverted the storm well south of Richmond.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 09-14-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Pinky --

The installation manual for the Protran 2 is in my last post and should answer your questions.

Executive Summary:

The wiring only goes thru the generator box breakers when the circuits are being powered by the generator. The breakers in your main box are still used when the line power is on.

The wiring provides two (2) power inlets to the switch box and the switches there determine what feeds the house circuits. GEN or LINE. (Or OFF.) The inputs are totally isolated. The house breakers do not have to be fiddled and the Master Power line breaker from the power company is not touched. When the line power comes back on all the circuits not routed thru "the box" come on automatically with the genset still powering the other circuits until the switches in the box are moved from GEN to LINE.

There are, of course, totally automatic boxes to do this but with a portable genset they don't make sense.

Murphy's Law of Available Generators seems to have diverted the storm well south of Richmond.

-- Chuck
Thanks man. Watched the videos and saw how it all works. Makes sense now. Pretty cool and something that I could probably handle myself over a weekend!

Yeah it seems that we prepared too well and it turned south............which is probably WORSE because those people were like "AHH WE COOL.......storms go NORTH!"

Might be a winter time project.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Wiring the box is dirt simple and mine is fully functional albeit just temporarily on the wall. Where I need professional help is getting the wires inside the wall. My former house had the main panel mounted on (not in) the wall in the basement and I just connected the supplied armored conduit per the instruction sheet. No more than an hour job including reading the instructions.

Current box is inside the wall in the garage secured to a stud on at least one edge. Not confident I can get the wires thru that area.

-- Chuck