The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

Advice appreciated

Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

Quitting is an absolute demonstration of disloyalty. That's just how it works. A "counter offer" is a ploy to give the company more time to hire your replacement. This ain't 100% but extremely common.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
The Prophet. (09-17-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

@The Prophet. what did you decide?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
@The Prophet. what did you decide?
@zdave87 wants to know.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Read most of this & you've certainly received some good advice here

Yes most folk are sincere people

mom is pretty much with the previous suggestions as I've had my offspring in your very situation at times... both mom & their father have always tried to advise them to think before jumping as its usually a good idea.... that said main priority is their health & well being both physically & mentally so never did we tell them to stay somewhere they weren't happy

My 1st born started out in Photography as a hobby & had a gig for back up , he later was ready to leggo the & go full force into 's and I'm proud to say he's now a VERY successful photographer

2nd born moved several times from situations non appealing and is now in one that he seems to really be doing great at!

3rd left what I felt was a great opportunity working for that G company that you probably use often OOGLE as a gal recruited him for her start up & I was like " " why would you leave there???? He has been at the start up for years now & worn many hats but seems it was a GREAT move for him

Hang in there & be HAPPY < key in mom's opinion

Good Luck
The Prophet. (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I think speaking as someone essentially your age, there are a few things to consider

1. Current employer - Will your employer give you a good recommendation if you part ways with them? - A disgruntled parting would most definitely nullify all the hard work you've done there for 8 years - I would approach management and let them know you're not satisfied where you are currently, and feel like you need to look elsewhere and would like their support one way or another - Emphasize that it's not an ultimatum in any form but rather you being transparent -

2. Job market - With you current skill set, education background etc, what are your options? Start throwing out feelers, send your resume where you can

3. Current income and savings - Personally, I think 3-4 weeks of savings is not adequate to start a job search after you quit - to reiterate, better to find something, even if it's low paying to hold you through the search period

---
That's the objective, logical side of this. From an emotional standpoint, I can relate to the high stress environment that doesn't always commend you for the work you do, but to the extent that you can set yourself up for success in your next chapter of life, would do so.
The Prophet. (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
I think speaking as someone essentially your age, there are a few things to consider

1. Current employer - Will your employer give you a good recommendation if you part ways with them? - A disgruntled parting would most definitely nullify all the hard work you've done there for 8 years - I would approach management and let them know you're not satisfied where you are currently, and feel like you need to look elsewhere and would like their support one way or another - Emphasize that it's not an ultimatum in any form but rather you being transparent -

2. Job market - With you current skill set, education background etc, what are your options? Start throwing out feelers, send your resume where you can

3. Current income and savings - Personally, I think 3-4 weeks of savings is not adequate to start a job search after you quit - to reiterate, better to find something, even if it's low paying to hold you through the search period

---
That's the objective, logical side of this. From an emotional standpoint, I can relate to the high stress environment that doesn't always commend you for the work you do, but to the extent that you can set yourself up for success in your next chapter of life, would do so.

Thanks for the continued advice everybody. And vtecmom, coincidentally I used to have a photography business myself so I experienced the difficulties in achieving any sort of success in that field.

Kryptonite, thanks for the tips man!

1) Yes they sure will. A big cause of this issue is because the "big fish" that bought our "small fish" of a company a few years ago is running everything entirely from the other side of the country with very minimal authority or power given to management here. They have no idea what we really do or what happens here. They came, cut half the jobs, ran us lean, and we're still growing at about 10% per year. My point being, my GM, OM, supervisor, and lead, etc. all know this situation is unfair and have all told me to use them as references and will provide letters of recommendations for me. I consider them all to be important people to me as well.

2) I have 1 good job at a major airplane mfg. company waiting for me, and my resume is going everywhere right now. The job market in my area is great due to the number of big name mfg. companies around, but I'm really interested in finding a job more in line with my passions. The problem is all the fields associated with what I have a passion for are all difficult to make any money in. So right now, I will focus on getting a solid job and I'll pursue my passions on the side... for practicality's sake.

3) I have a lot more saved up, the 3-4 weeks was a timeframe I wanted to give myself to take a little break and restrategize and all that. My intention was to jump on the other jobs waiting on me afterwards. I'm glad I have options and people waiting on me, this could have been a lot more difficult and I would definitely would have been sucking this up like a man and toughing it out.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 AM

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

I have said this many times in this thread but I really mean it more each time as it has really helped me reach my decision. THANK YOU ALL!! Especially considering everybody sent actual helpful and mature insight.

I submitted my 2 week notice. This past Monday morning, I wrote my notice. I felt like my ground level title didn't represent my higher level management responsibilities at all. And the rate things are going here and with the disappointing counter offers they gave me, this situation would just continue.

I didn't submit it till Wednesday as I kept going back on forth on whether or not my decision was right. Wednesday morning I left it on my boss's desk before he came in. As soon as he arrived, he read the letter, pulled me for a meeting, and threw me all the counter offers. He essentially told me I can give up the responsibilities that I was never paid for that I have continued to do, and only do what I'm paid to do. Then he said that they really needed me and this would pose a problem for them going forward if I was to leave.. He also threw me a new title, a raise, etc. I told him I would think about it and now he has HR working on another package to offer me.

The hardest part was breaking it to my team and my close friends here. Not sure how many times I cried and others cried in front of me... that didn't make things easy at all. It's really showing me that the people around me kept me here, not the people above. Thankfully they all had my back.

I already feel such an enormous weight lifted off my shoulders. Last night, I slept like a baby for the first time in who knows how long. The anxiety is slowly subsiding, although it tends to hit hard when I simply talk to somebody here, because then I realize I'll either miss them, or think about how good they were to me. I've been avoiding people left and right until it really sinks in before I talk to them... haha. I know.. I'm weak. So right now, just dealing with the emo side of everything and my personal relations. I think that's more important.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN SO MUCH. I know I said a lot of cheesy and mushy and slightly depressing crap here, but you all read through it and actually helped me organize my thoughts and make a plan. If ever there is an s2ki meet on the east coast, beers and dinners for you all on me
The following 2 users liked this post by The Prophet.:
sam_spider (09-24-2018), vtecmom (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by vtecmom
Hang in there & be HAPPY < key in mom's opinion
You're right... this was the biggest factor of it all.
vtecmom (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

I have said this many times in this thread but I really mean it more each time as it has really helped me reach my decision. THANK YOU ALL!! Especially considering everybody sent actual helpful and mature insight.

I submitted my 2 week notice. This past Monday morning, I wrote my notice. I felt like my ground level title didn't represent my higher level management responsibilities at all. And the rate things are going here and with the disappointing counter offers they gave me, this situation would just continue.

I didn't submit it till Wednesday as I kept going back on forth on whether or not my decision was right. Wednesday morning I left it on my boss's desk before he came in. As soon as he arrived, he read the letter, pulled me for a meeting, and threw me all the counter offers. He essentially told me I can give up the responsibilities that I was never paid for that I have continued to do, and only do what I'm paid to do. Then he said that they really needed me and this would pose a problem for them going forward if I was to leave.. He also threw me a new title, a raise, etc. I told him I would think about it and now he has HR working on another package to offer me.

The hardest part was breaking it to my team and my close friends here. Not sure how many times I cried and others cried in front of me... that didn't make things easy at all. It's really showing me that the people around me kept me here, not the people above. Thankfully they all had my back.

I already feel such an enormous weight lifted off my shoulders. Last night, I slept like a baby for the first time in who knows how long. The anxiety is slowly subsiding, although it tends to hit hard when I simply talk to somebody here, because then I realize I'll either miss them, or think about how good they were to me. I've been avoiding people left and right until it really sinks in before I talk to them... haha. I know.. I'm weak. So right now, just dealing with the emo side of everything and my personal relations. I think that's more important.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN SO MUCH. I know I said a lot of cheesy and mushy and slightly depressing crap here, but you all read through it and actually helped me organize my thoughts and make a plan. If ever there is an s2ki meet on the east coast, beers and dinners for you all on me

WOW great news

I take it your not changing your mind though I think just not sure since you mentioned all the offers he gave ya??

Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
You're right... this was the biggest factor of it all.

Yeah it kinda helps to be happy sounds like you ARE

as for the east coast 's I think maybe YOU should plan to join us here on the West Coast next Summer if & when mom has her s2ki BBQ you'd meet some wonderful forever friends

Stick around the too if you like the outcome of this tread & like to once & awhile thats what we're here for

Quick Reply: Advice appreciated