Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?

Hey guys!

I'm looking to do a track day at NJMP in May, it will be my first time there. I'm looking to do the Progressive Paced Laps (Beginner). My car is pretty much stock and an employee told me that I can run the OEM rollbar, but I'm not too sure if I'll pass the broomstick test. I'm looking to get my own helmet, but for the mean time I wore my brother's helmet (which appears to be on the larger side) to do the broomstick test. I'm only 5'6'', I thought I would have clearance but unfortunately did not clear the rollbar. I'm wondering if this could be down to his helmet model????

I've ran at the Englishtown Road Course and they didn't even bother checking, but I'm pretty sure NJMP has a lot more strict rules and regs.

Has anyone ever run there with the stock roll bar? If so, your model helmet and height would be very useful information to see if I can attend the event.
Any sort of information would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Can't answer your roll bar question directly as all organizations are different and you didn't mention who exattly you'd be running with. NASA NE, Hooked On Driving, SCCA ....

As for helmets, you'll likely need to have or borrow an SA2005 ( at minimum) or newer helmet. Most organizers will no longer allow motorcycle helmets. FYI.

I believe a stock S2000 is approved for Track Nights in America being run by SCCA.

Quick search says you might be running with NJMP directly, have you called them to confirm?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does appear to be run by NJMP directly. I did contact the track day organizer and he did say I have to pass the broomstick test with helmet on. A tech inspection form also confirms this.

I am looking to purchase my own helmet. I'm just wondering if the dimensions of my brother's helmet is larger than say some other manufacturer.

http://www.typhoonhelmets.com/snell-m2010-rated-helmets - what he owns

I know the dimensions are probably not listed, but it does seem rather large than usual when wearing. Being 5'6" I thought it would have been no problem to clear the OEM rollbar, but I guess I could be wrong. I'm hoping to run my S2000, as I really enjoyed my last track day at englishtown with it, but I also have an STI if it's not possible.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 AM
Community Organizer

When on track you'll likely move your seat closer to the steering wheel, you'll want your left foot firmly planted on the dead pedal. Then recline 2 clicks from normal and you may just pass the broomstick test. This likely won't be your ideal seating position when on track but it might just work to "pass the test".

At a quick glance, Typhoon doesn't make an SA rated helmet. The General's Store @ NJMP has helmets that you can try on for size but be warned, they don't carry bargain brands. An HJC SA2010 fullface helmet can be had for about $175, but trying them on first is highly recommended.

You're in a tough spot. The S2000 is really a great car on track, even a fully stock car. The rub is, as you've come to realize, most organizations won't allow a stock S2000 on track.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I decided just to go hard dog. I don't want roll the dice and show up to a track to be turned away. Imo it's not ideal because I like the look of the roll hoops but the added protection and peace of mind will be nice.

As for helmets I went with a sparco wtx 5w. The visor area is a little wider than most that I tried on which is nice and it's comfortable.

The roolbar dilemma is definitely a hot topic, and a tough decision but I figure the car is meant to be driven hard. The best place to do that is the track so you have to adhere to their rules to play.

I know S-factor is selling a seat (not sure if ap1 or ap2 v1) with a custom 2 inch drop which would probably help your case if don't want to go the roll bar route.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen NJMP do the test, also I've seen Miata's run with no roll bar so I think it comes down to who is working on the NJMP staff that day. The broomstick rule is an NJMP rule not SCCA/PCA/NASA/etc, but those organizations have their own similar rules. FYI, BMWCCA would only let you run any track with a full cage.

You can modify the seat pan to gain some space, do a search. Or go through tech inspection with the top up and cross your fingers.

I'm 6'1" so with hard dog and Recaro's I just pass.

Last edited by rosica; 08-27-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Tdoolin18
I know S-factor is selling a seat (not sure if ap1 or ap2 v1) with a custom 2 inch drop which would probably help your case if don't want to go the roll bar route.
Likely AP1.

I'm a midget too at 5'6" and I know if I sit any lower I won't be able to see over the dash.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gone to NJMP twice and passed tech on the stock roll bars. For reference, I am 5'5" and I use a Shoei RF-1100 (which is a Snell M2010 that they allow). The first time I was subjected to the "broomstick test" and although it touched the top of my helmet, they allow you to adjust your position to pass, so they're cool like that. The second time they didn't even bother.

PPL is fun man! Try to get to the front of the group if you really want to push the S2000.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Community Organizer

Looks like this is state of NJ specific stuff:

TRACK SPECIFIC RULES
  • Convertibles: All non-racing convertible or open-top cars, except for touring laps behind a pace car, must be equipped with a proper fixed rollover protection bar, or bars as set forth in Chapter 62 of the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations. Factory installed self-deploying or “pop-up” bars or roll hoops are not compliant, and will not be allowed to participate. Furthermore, fixed roll bars or hoops must terminate above the head of any driver or passenger (pass the “broomstick test”). Convertibles with fabric tops must run in driver education or lapping events with the top in the down, or stowed position. Retractable hardtop cars with proper rollover protection installed may run in driver education or lapping events with the top in the up or down position. Removable hard tops are not considered rollover protection. NJMP may, at its discretion, deny any convertible or open-top car access to the race track for any reason. All participants in convertible vehicles must wear a full-faced helmet with the visor fully closed.
Not sure how Englishtown is getting away with this.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got away with speeding today. I just did it and no one checked.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?