Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?

Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I came back to edit my post after I saw your name on the list.

Yes, see you there.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Mrhwin
Ok the event I'm attending will be with NASA.

So is it safe to assume that tracks which requires broomstick test can pass inspection by utilizing an aftermarket hardtop? Mugen replica to be specific?
You'll be fine, promise. Be nice to the girls in registration,one of them is my wife.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My understanding is nj has state laws that apply to safety on racetracks. I have never bothered to bring the s2000 to njmp for this reason. However I do know other people with stock s2ki that have been able to drive. I myself have been able to drive at all the ne tracks with stock safety gear. I am 6.0 and I would never pass any broomstick test. It depends on who you run with to, I usually go with scda. However here are my rules for getting stock s2ks on the track.

1). Your car should look stock. Race wheels, big aero, blower, etc, will mean your car will get extra attention.
2). Always keep the top up. You can't even get a broom stick in a s2k with the top up.
3). Don't have your helmet on when you go through tech. Keep it in the bag, and just show them the tag. The whole point is to make it a pain to slow up the works. If they see a stock car with the top up, stock seats etc. see a sa2005 or better helmet, they are happy to waive you on.
4) Don't drive like an idiot. Whatever class you are in don't be the guy getting all the attention. The track workers and flagman may call you in to take a closer look at your safety.

i have done many track days with the s2k following those rules. granted I have not tried njmp park. However if I ran with a club that knows me, like scda, I would probably give it a try.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input! No worries, I always try to be kind!

My vehicle is mostly stock, with stock wheels.

I'm also 6', and running a Recaro pole position seat, which has slightly reduced my seat height.

From what I've read - especially and specifically at NJMP, they enforce the broomstick test.

NJMP is the track I will mostly frequently be attending.

I want to minimize the chance of being subject to / or failing the broomstick test.

I cannot commit to a roll cage this season, therefore I was under the impression that if I have a hardtop, they will not be able to perform the broomstick test.

If I have the soft top up, they may ask to open the top and perform the broomstick test.

While with a hardtop, it's semi permanent and may not he subject to the broomstick test.

This is my thought process and based on the responses, it may be a valid assumption.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
granted I have not tried njmp park. However if I ran with a club that knows me, like scda, I would probably give it a try.

I want to minimize the chance of being subject to / or failing the broomstick test.
If NASA NE doesn't allow either of you on track at NJMP (Lightning or Thunder) with a stock S2000, I'll let you drive my car for the day. Promise.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
If NASA NE doesn't allow either of you on track at NJMP (Lightning or Thunder) with a stock S2000, I'll let you drive my car for the day. Promise.
That's the kind of response I like to hear! Confident reassurance at it's finest!

Stock S2000 with aftermarket hardtop of course would be considered "stock"?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

nice!!!

thank you.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Community Organizer

That's the kind of response I like to hear! Confident reassurance at it's finest!

Stock S2000 with aftermarket hardtop of course would be considered "stock"?
Yes.

One of these cars has a Cusco bolt in roll bar, one of these cars has no roll bar. Both were on track at the same NASA NE event at NJMP.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.

One of these cars has a Cusco bolt in roll bar, one of these cars has no roll bar. Both were on track at the same NASA NE event at NJMP.

Truth.
If you don't get in I'll also offer to let you drive my car (#26 in the pic) which I've never had a problem getting admitted without an aftermarket roll bar.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

NJMP rules will allow you to run if you pass bromstick. Im 5'9 and pass. Move seat forward and lean it back and you will be fine... But, here is the issue: Your instructor must pass also. So if you get anyone over 5'9 your day is trashed. You can have better luck at a SCCA TNIA where no instructor is required but you wont learn much.. Or like others have said, hard top and you're good to go

Quick Reply: Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?