Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Anyone ever run NJMP w/ OEM roll bar?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really late in replying but I'll give my some info since I've ran there a few times by now. I've signed up for track days directly through NJMP which they've had Demonte Racing running the event for the past couple years. It's now Skip Barber but I've been told they are the same instructors. For those track days, there were times where they didn't run a broomstick test at all and I would keep my soft top up for the day. I've also had a time where during the inspection, one of the instructors called me out and made me drop my soft top and ran the broomstick test. I'm 5'6'' and with my helmet on, I did not pass the test. He made me readjust my seat in different positions to get me to pass and told me to keep my soft top up. According to them, keeping my soft top up would prevent me from being flagged if a state trooper came by. The instructors are really nice guys that work with ya to get you out on the track.

I've also been at NJMP with SCCA TNIA but they specifically state in their rules that convertibles must have an aftermarket roll bar so my S2000 has always been out of the picture.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Looks like this is state of NJ specific stuff:

TRACK SPECIFIC RULES
  • Convertibles: All non-racing convertible or open-top cars, except for touring laps behind a pace car, must be equipped with a proper fixed rollover protection bar, or bars as set forth in Chapter 62 of the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations. Factory installed self-deploying or “pop-up” bars or roll hoops are not compliant, and will not be allowed to participate. Furthermore, fixed roll bars or hoops must terminate above the head of any driver or passenger (pass the “broomstick test”). Convertibles with fabric tops must run in driver education or lapping events with the top in the down, or stowed position. Retractable hardtop cars with proper rollover protection installed may run in driver education or lapping events with the top in the up or down position. Removable hard tops are not considered rollover protection. NJMP may, at its discretion, deny any convertible or open-top car access to the race track for any reason. All participants in convertible vehicles must wear a full-faced helmet with the visor fully closed.
Not sure how Englishtown is getting away with this.
I think the OP is talking about the at speed laps with a pace car at NJMP, so the first part of this applies IMHO. "... except for touring laps behind a pace car, " I've investigated a few NJ based events and decided it's not worth the risk for a regular track day. I don't like driving with the top down on the street, normally, let alone the track. So, places where it's "Stock Roll Hoops acceptable" or a "Broomstick Test", I can look at. I'm 6', and with the right seating position, I can pass - or at least did last time I tried at Watkins Glen many years ago.

Generally, a hardtop negates the need for a roll bar. The premise, again, IMHO is that in a rollover, the hardtop is skidding along the ground, not your helmet and head.

I think the best answer is CALL THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE EVENT. Get a definitive answer from THEM. We can all speculate on what we've done, what we've seen, but ultimately, it's you making a decision based on the information from the people in charge. Getting and there and saying a bunch of guys on a forum said you can go probably doesn't stand up as valid.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:28 PM

I appreciate all the input. Everyone has made valid points. I think the state law is pretty clear with their intent. I could see some flexibility with the concept of touring lap. Ultimately I think I can substantiate that I do not have a convertible since I have a hard top, therefore I am not obligated to perform the broomstick test. It's a judgement call on the tech inspector, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://nasaproracing.com/events/2806

Old 04-04-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

While a hardtop is great in getting away with running at NJMP, its not going to save you if you do have a rollover. The hardtop is worthless when it comes to any type of rollover protection.

This was an interesting read since I swore NJMP was a roll bar only track for the s2.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
While a hardtop is great in getting away with running at NJMP, its not going to save you if you do have a rollover. The hardtop is worthless when it comes to any type of rollover protection.

This was an interesting read since I swore NJMP was a roll bar only track for the s2.
Agreed. The objective of the post is to understand how the broomstick test is enforced. I do not consider the aftermarket hardtop to provide any additional support in an event of a rollover. The hardware mount is held in by resin. They will snap off with minimal force. Additionally there is lack of structural support built into the hardtop.

NJMP is not a rollbar only track. The fact that they are located in NJ and the laws governing safety requirements for convertibles on tracks are considered is the main point.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 AM

I have done every year for the last ten years with the PCA club. I used to go more, but now just for their club race day/ advanced DE day where I do the advanced DE. I have never been turned away and I can't recall ever physically having the broomstick test performed on me. A few years back I was physically on the track and got black-flagged 2x, once to tell me I had to run with the top down (I default to top up), and the second time one lap later to tell me I had to run with the top up . After that, I purchased a set of arm restraints just in case they got more serious, but they have stayed at the bottom of my helmet bag unopened for the last three years. I"m 5'9" with OEM rollbars with their plastic on and with the top up, it isn't easy to see anyway.

Typically its the club that is going to be more of a risk for what will or will not be an issue. DE is definitely different than club racing and more likely to be ignored. Safety is definitely an issue, hope you either actually pass that broomstick test or are still using the oem 3-point harness.