Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Daily driver/ commuter opinions

Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driver/ commuter opinions

I am having trouble deiciding what to do...

I currently am driving a 91 miata that has been great to me as far as reliability for the past 5 year. Unfortunately it is having a few cosmetic issues at the moment......anyway, I am transfering to a different college to finish up the last 2 years of my degree and it will be about an hour 15 to 2 hours away depending on where I go. I will be coming home once or twice per week. So basically do I commute in the miata and keep saving for my S or sell the miata and buy a better commuter and keep saving for my S...?

so:

1. Commute in miata and keep saving for S

2. Buy a little bigger commuter car and take 1 or 2k out of my S funds to go with the $ from selling the miata and keep saving for the S.

I'd hate to lose my toy but I guess maybe there is a bigger picture and a better toy at the end of option 2 though it will take a while longer.

The cars I have been looking at for commuter candidates/ winter cars once I have the S are Subaru Forester, Mazda protege5, mazda 3..... I do have access to the wholesale car business which helps

Just thinking out loud, but your opinions would be cool too!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts, or rather some questions to ponder.

Can you live with the cosmetic issues for now? Does your miata hold everything you need for your commute, or is a bigger car a big benefit?

As I see it, if your miata does the commute fine, has no mechanical issues, and you can live with the cosmetic ones for now; save your money.

(and whos messing with my sig image!! xD)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say if the Miata can do the job and live up to the commute than keep it and keep saving for the s2000.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude keep the miata... Ive seen your car it looks like a ton of fun! Plus Miatas get good MPG's and I dont see a point in setting yourself back a little.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Better yet... sell the miata and put street tires on your Spec Miata race car and just commute in that (JK JK)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather commute in a fun car than a boring one that gets good mpg.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 PM

save for the S
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM

....keep the miata.........for now!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Zak

Having had both a number of Miata's and now an S, save for the S. One of the biggest regrets was selling my mint 93 black and tan C package Miata. Loved that thing and it was bullet proof. Sold it and bought a series of "practical" and could not wait to get back into a 2 seater. Though after drving the S for a while I would have a hard time going back to the NA Miata.

My miata's got about the same MPG as my S. Averaged 30mpg on the highway, and I'm getting close to that with the S.

I currently have a Mazda MPV as the family hauler, Protege5 as the commuter car and the S as my toy. Though now work from home so none of the vehicles get that many miles. If you love the Miata, you will greatly regret selling it for a "practical" car. And you are only young once, so keep an unpractical car as long as you can.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zak,May 27 2010, 05:17 AM
My miata's got about the same MPG as my S. Averaged 30mpg on the highway, and I'm getting close to that with the S.

I currently have a Mazda MPV as the family hauler, Protege5 as the commuter car and the S as my toy. Though now work from home so none of the vehicles get that many miles. If you love the Miata, you will greatly regret selling it for a "practical" car. And you are only young once, so keep an unpractical car as long as you can.
Same MPG's but the miata runs on regular so thats cheaper

and AMEN on that last paragraph

Quick Reply: Daily driver/ commuter opinions