Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Your Town... My Town... Minersville? Mercercerburg? Mt. Holly? Mechanicsburg? Mountai

Old 03-31-2002, 02:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Your Town... My Town... Minersville? Mercercerburg? Mt. Holly? Mechanicsburg? Mountai

I thought it might be fun to hear about some of the areas in which we live. I put up this capsule of My Town in response to a mid-winter question from lehighwhiz. While you're LURKING & reading this, you could be posting a couple lines about Your Town

Maybe we'll decide to have an event there and terrorize the local Gendarmes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by paS2K

Narberth is a diverse, small town in the midst of affluent Lower Merion Twp, just west of Philly city limits along Rte.30. It's about 1 square mile and has all the elements of the currently popular Neo-Urbanism movement (walkable, front porches, July 4th parades). There is only 1 S2000 in town (but ample supply of run-of the-mill Boxsters, fat SUV's, M+B). It's right along the old Penn Central RR....thus called the Main Line. You probably have heard of some other nearby towns: Ardmore, Wynnewood, Gladwyne (big $$), Haverford, BrynMawr, Villanova Yeah, more than you wanted to know....

I think Minersville may be in Schuylkill County. Near Jim Thorpe?? My mother's family was from Schuylkill Haven, so I know a little bit about the area. So....if the S is now an interim keeper, you'll have to join one of our drives and meet some ppl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-11-2002, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd try and revive Jerry's thread on towns so here it goes:

Bear, Delaware.....

Experiencing a tremendous growth in population during the past 10 years, the Bear and Glasgow area in Delaware is now recognized for its ultra-convenience to Wilmington and main commuting roads.

Indeed, what was once a span of mostly fields and farm land is now home to the Route 40 stretch comprised of three major shopping plazas, including home-improvement centers, restaurants, clothing stores and grocers.

A little more than a century ago, however, this area consisted of only 25 residents, two churches, one blacksmith, one school and a few shops. The small town, which was originally named Aikentown after village tavern owner Matthew Aiken, was situated in close proximity to "Oulde Kings Roade," now known as Old Baltimore Pike.

One familiar reminder of the region's history is the Pencader Presbyterian Church built during the early 1700s by Welsh immigrants. Just across from the church's cemetery stood a Presbyterian meetinghouse used by the British as a hospital at the Battle of Cooches Bridge in 1777.

Today in Bear and Glasgow you'll find people from all walks of life living in old Victorian and colonial-style homes, stately ranchers, contemporary houses, or modern condos and apartments. A mix of students, executives, families and retirees make up the population in Bear and Glasgow.

Contrasting the major developments of this region are a few operating farms including Bear's historic McMullen Farm on Walther Road.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:14 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

West Deptford Twp. was established in the 1860s as an incorporation of a number of small communities, including Colonial Manor, Thorofare and Verga, and some unincorporated land. We along with Deptford surround the city of Woodbury which is the county seat and an historic area (settled in the mid-17th century by Henry Wood of the town of Bury England. Most of the land in the county was deeded by Wm. Penn from the original West Jersey Charter.....)
West Deptford was primarily a farming and industrial community until the late fifties and has become a bedroom community for Phila. since then with a lot development occurring in the past 10-15 years.
Our most recent claim to fame our community center www.riverwinds.org which is a very cool place. For those of you that fly into PHL, especially on commuters, you can see the building just before you cross the river.
It is a strong community which has quick access to 295 allowing for easy travel to Phila. (20 min.), and the NY-DC corridor.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:34 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paulieblks2k
[B]Thought I'd try and revive Jerry's thread on towns so here it goes:

Bear, Delaware.........stately ranchers,