Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

ALIEN- Covenant…hmmmm

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default ALIEN- Covenant…hmmmm

First off, a disclaimer- I am a massive Alien fan. Loved it since the first ALIEN i saw when I was 11. Oh yes, Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus are the only real Alien movies worth memorializing.

So I just saw Alien Covenant with my buddy- who is also a massive fan. This movie is a continuation 10 years after Prometheus. Incidentally, Prometheus took me 3-4 views to find its deeper meaning and appreciation.

Here is my problem, I don't know that I can provide a review after just one watch. I'll try. It was enjoyable in the realm of the ALIEN franchise- it had the aesthetic and feel of the original 2 movies, and Prometheus. So overall, very enjoyable- the ALIEN world is the best of the scifi genre. But there is something with this first viewing that i'm trying to figure out. I suppose I didn't feel the instant affinity for the characters I did the in the previous movies. It took time for the characters to develop. GIven that Ridley Scott directed, I figure this is the direction he believed the movie and story needed and I trust his judgement.

So for now, i give it an 8.5/10. If you're not an Alien fan or have not seen Prometheus, this movie may leave you wondering about what its all about.

darcy
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Plot was predictable, too much philosophical pontificating, and no suspense because the xenomorphs' appearance is always telegraphed and you are seeing full on shots of them.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Kinda like 2001 and Rick and Morty, you gotta see if more than once, but is it any good???
Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really enjoyed Prometheus but Covenant just didn't do it for me. I think they showed way too much in the trailer.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

i enjoyed it and appreciate who the villain turned out to be
Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't a fan of Prometheus. By the time the girl birthed a squid and said squid had vagina dentata... followed by her
running flat out despite just having been stapled shut, I'd had more than enough.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by MatosS2k
I wasn't a fan of Prometheus. By the time the girl birthed a squid and said squid had vagina dentata... followed by her
running flat out despite just having been stapled shut, I'd had more than enough.
One of the best parts in the movie! Or would you have prefered to see it birthed in typical fashion?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
One of the best parts in the movie! Or would you have prefered to see it birthed in typical fashion?
Don't care for how it was birthed, just found it silly that she gave birth to a squid and then ran a marathon 3 seconds after having her gut stapled back together. Amazing staples
too, the wound didn't open back up or even leak rofl!!!

The progressions is amusing though. Guy gets contaminated by black tar full of worms, starts becoming a zombie. Zombie manages to sleep with wife before going full zombie. Zombie
impregnates wife who gives birth to squid (Maury couldn't fix this one with a paternity test!! hahaha). Squid attacks a giant humanoid alien and kills it. The alien we all know then comes
out of that....
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I finally saw this via hbo or someplace like that. The way the plot unfolds and the things that happen to people seem a bit like a perfect storm. I was seeing this and thinking I know what happens next and it does? So the plot was not the draw for me. The aliens and their differing evolution were interesting and the special effects very well done. I also liked the casting....mostly believable folks. the plot seemed pretty stupid, to risk everything for a very long shot. the twisted synthetic has almost always been the villain....so I would pass based on the plot. If you want to see a well done scifi thriller with familiar stuff, watch this. I give it a 5 outta 10 for very good production values, except for the script/plot it would score higher.