Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

BLADE RUNNER 2049…oh boy…this IS good

Old 10-22-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default BLADE RUNNER 2049…oh boy…this IS good

Just got back from BLADE RUNNER 2049- even April came along. First off, I am a sci fi fan- I've watched and enjoyed all of the original Blade Runner's iterations. I've spent time discussing and analyzing it with friends over the years.

Blade Runner 2049 is excellent in the same vein as the original. If you didn't get the depth and intelligence of the first, you won't get 2049. It has the same great feel, look, implications, and debates the original sparks. It takes place nearly 30 years after the original and opens the discussion again. April has never seen Blade Runner and knows nothing about it- as i mentioned, she came along. She said it was too slow.

This was directed by Denis Villeneuve, who also did Sicario and Prirsoners- both fantastic movies. Like those movies, this is not a movie for kids. Some enlightened 16+ yr olds might get it. There is nudity, suggestions of sex, and very little swearing. I think most kids would fall asleep.

I give this movie a solid 9.9/10. It will be nominated for Academy awards. It is representative of the best of the Scifi genre.

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

Yeah this movie left me with questions... all replicant based.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Just got back from BLADE RUNNER 2049- even April came along. First off, I am a sci fi fan- I've watched and enjoyed all of the original Blade Runner's iterations. I've spent time discussing and analyzing it with friends over the years.

Blade Runner 2049 is excellent in the same vein as the original. If you didn't get the depth and intelligence of the first, you won't get 2049. It has the same great feel, look, implications, and debates the original sparks. It takes place nearly 30 years after the original and opens the discussion again. April has never seen Blade Runner and knows nothing about it- as i mentioned, she came along. She said it was too slow.

This was directed by Denis Villeneuve, who also did Sicario and Prirsoners- both fantastic movies. Like those movies, this is not a movie for kids. Some enlightened 16+ yr olds might get it. There is nudity, suggestions of sex, and very little swearing. I think most kids would fall asleep.

I give this movie a solid 9.9/10. It will be nominated for Academy awards. It is representative of the best of the Scifi genre.

​​​​​​​darcy
Well said, totally agree! I just don't see how it could have done better in creating a fresh story wile staying integral to the original theme. Its a refreshing departure from the superficial, fast pace non stop CGI explosions we see come out of Hollywood these days. I've already got the disc on order from Amazon to add to my scifi collection.

And leaving with some questions, leaves the door open for another movie possibly. Maybe in another some 30 years, in 2049

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-31-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

watched it... enjoyed it.

So does that mean Harrison Ford wasn't a replicant?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neither me nor Mrs. GM3 cared for it.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I eagerly anticipated this, having loved the first one. This is...more of the same over all feeling/mood of the original film...same unusual synthetic music, same dystopia suburban landscape, same fog, same this and same that...all good to revisit. There is some action, blood and violence...there is a complex and convoluted plot line, slllllllooooowwww moving and full of holes, lots of unnecessary characters introduced....discarded...onto the next. it's a journey of discovery for our main character, and of course Deker is back along with his pistol and cynical commentary. It's a romp down a familiar street....I can't say I like it at all. 2 outta 10 cause it's Ridley Scott, Harrison Ford, and Ryan Gosling. Very poor plot line with so much to choose from....So who is a replicant? Who is the child of Harrison Ford and Rachel? Why is Gerald Ledo even in it? Have to wait for Blade Runner 3 I guess.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Community Organizer

^^^Watch it again.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Watched it last night. I think I need to see the first one
Old 06-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

i was lucky enough to watch them both uninterrupted. i give 2049
Old 06-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Community Organizer

These are old school scifi movies, ones with a slower pace and a more complex plot, with action and cutting edge visuals all meant to immerse you for 2.5 hours. If you are too young/ADD used to shit flying across the screen every 2min and need a simple to no plot so you can still know whats going on wile your surfing s2k, than neither Blade runner will likely work for you. And like the first one, it wasn't perceived that well initially, but aged very well and became more appreciated for the work of art it was meant to be and became a cult classic. The new one parallels the original in many of these respects and I felt by today's expectations of the original to today's ADD crowd, it couldn't have been done much better. It had a hell of a hill to overcome to please everyone. They actually spent way more money then needed to do the majority of their special effects in actual models like the good old days. You would be hard pressed to see any CGI in this movie. And that gets a big from me alone.

Quick Reply: BLADE RUNNER 2049…oh boy…this IS good