Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY- you will be singing along

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY- you will be singing along

We just got back from a sold out showing of this Freddie Mercury- Queen inspired biopic.

The internet seems to be on fire that the movie is not real enough, or true to life enough, or some other bull shit criticism. Granted, the main guy the movie is about is quite dead- this is not a documentary- liberties have been taken so just deal with it. I certainly enjoy Queen's unique and cutting edge music, but never got into all the pedantic details of every little nuance of the major players- I like the music, its got a great beat I can dance to...

But I digress- this was a really enjoyable movie and worth it to see on the big screen with big sound. It moves fast- in just over 2 hours you'll go thru Freddie Mercury's career. All the great songs are featured in some capacity, with his huge voice taking centre stage. But it was more that that- it dealt with the band- and if the portrayal is to be believed- then Queen was much, much more than Mercury. Its a movie about family- whether blood or friends that you consider to be family. You know, I didn't know Queen beyond the music and front man before this picture. I don't really care how accurate it was, because the music ties it all together. And for a band that made great music, that's all that matters to a me.

I give this a solid 8.5/10. There is no sex or swearing of note, so you can take your kids to Bohemian Rhapsody, but kids under 12 will be bored.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 11-10-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Good review thanks. I will likely see this at some point. The previews looks compelling enough.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I thought it was a great movie. I put my knowledge of Queen and the real timeline of events aside and just enjoyed it for what it was. The announcement that he was sick just before the Live Aid concert only added to the final scenes making them more powerful. The choice of actors for the band members was spot on and they really got the look down pat. They really did capture Freddie's inner turmoil well.

I am really glad that they ended it with the concert and didn't go into his declining health and death.