Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Boyhood, 2014

Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Boyhood, 2014

Just finished watching Boyhood. This coming of age movie was filmed with the original cast over a period of 12 years- you'll recognize Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. The characters age as in life. Pretty amazing to see the transformation that life brings as we change and grow. Well acted. Being 42, it brought back the memories of growing up- something i hadn't thought about in a very long time. I have 2 boys myself who are about the same age as when the movie starts.

its a story about life and the things that shape our future. Don't expect explosions, dragons, or action- its a drama afterall and it develops slowly and methodically. There are certain points I wished could have been tied up and resolved which dealt with the supporting cast and their interactions. The main story is of a boy and is centered around him, so those side excurions would have taken away from the central theme i suppose.

Likely this movie will hold little appeal to anyone under age 25.

A good movie- i give it 7.5/10.

darcy
Old 01-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Just finished watching Boyhood. This coming of age movie was filmed with the original cast over a period of 12 years- you'll recognize Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. The characters age as in life. Pretty amazing to see the transformation that life brings as we change and grow. Well acted. Being 42, it brought back the memories of growing up- something i hadn't thought about in a very long time. I have 2 boys myself who are about the same age as when the movie starts.

its a story about life and the things that shape our future. Don't expect explosions, dragons, or action- its a drama afterall and it develops slowly and methodically. There are certain points I wished could have been tied up and resolved which dealt with the supporting cast and their interactions. The main story is of a boy and is centered around him, so those side excurions would have taken away from the central theme i suppose.

Likely this movie will hold little appeal to anyone under age 25.

A good movie- i give it 7.5/10.

darcy
Totally disagree about it not appealing to the under 25.

The movie felt so real to me. I found total connection with the boy in the movie.

I can't really describe the movie but it just sat so well with me. Truly a masterpiece in its own right.

9/10 for me
Old 01-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Gatsbee13

I was about to download this movie last night but ended watching another movie with Ethan Hawke.. will have to catch this one soon as it seems to be #1 contender for best picture (drama) at golden globes.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This film is a one tick pony, what makes it shine is the fact that it was filmed over 12 years. It s a decent family story with that one twist and it is easy to get involved with the characters as they are growing up in front of you....I know it had to be a long film but it was too long for me.

THis is probably a must watch for any film fan. 7 outa 10 cause it is so unique in it's promise to give you something you have not seen before and I will mostly likely see the sequel....

Otherwise it could be a movie of the week on lifetime network!