S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Dinner and a Movie (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dinner-movie-79/)
-   -   GREEN BOOK- drama well done (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dinner-movie-79/green-book-drama-well-done-1191423/)

darcyw 01-27-2019 02:52 PM

GREEN BOOK- drama well done

We caught GREEN BOOK last night- a well told drama, based on a true events. The story is about Viggo Mortensen hired to drive Mahershala Ali to the Deep South as Ali plays to crowds of cultured folks. It is a story that takes place during the tenuous 60's when there was racial segregation- sometimes violent. It brings the ridiculous intolerances still found even today into the story. And thats where the satisfying portrayal by Viggo comes in- often times reacting first and asking questions after the fact...and after someone has had their face punched.

At any rate, a really well told road trip drama deserving of its nominations.

I give this a 9/10 as a drama- likely one of 2018's best. Its not for kids under 13 as its a slower picture and they likely won't absorb the deeper meaning of the story.

Best picture at the Oscars in February?

darcy

Birdybog 01-27-2019 03:12 PM

I agree, it was an excellent film. Makes you think, laugh, and maybe even cringe at times.

Scott

TsukubaCody 01-27-2019 03:47 PM

I'm hoping it doesn't win anything. A lot of whitewashing in that movie.

Personally hoping the academy will make up for an injustice almost 30 years old and give Blackkklansman the award that Do the Right Thing should have won.

darcyw 01-27-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody (Post 24559165)
I'm hoping it doesn't win anything. A lot of whitewashing in that movie.

Personally hoping the academy will make up for an injustice almost 30 years old and give Blackkklansman the award that Do the Right Thing should have won.

I so want to see Blackkklansman. It never came to our city regrettably.

but, there is some heavy competition on the list this year.

darcy

darcyw 02-24-2019 08:00 PM

...and the Oscar for best picture goes to...Green Book!
darcy

bouford 03-01-2019 09:27 AM

not going to watch this now since Blackkklansman was robbed :LOL:

darcyw 03-01-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bouford (Post 24572174)
not going to watch this now since Blackkklansman was robbed :LOL:

funny :)

however, the movie was not intended to be about the pianist himself- he was the SUPPORTING part of the movie- the framework that was filled in. The story was about the driver and the way that HE changed over the course of the story. That was the story- people need to deal with it. The family just needs to be happy that some insightful and smart people decided to even tell the story in the first place. Maybe, they'll make a movie specifically about the doctor down the road, but that wasn't the intent here.
Spike Lee made a great movie- Blackkklansman. Why didn't he focus more on the story of the origins of the klan? or focus more on the other detective? Because that was not his intent- it depends on which side of the story you're looking at it and the story you're looking to tell.
darcy

zeroptzero 03-18-2019 05:32 PM

I saw it last week while on vacation, it was a great movie and I don't say that about very many movies of the last decade.