S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Dinner and a Movie (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dinner-movie-79/)
-   -   MOON...netflix revival (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dinner-movie-79/moon-netflix-revival-1190974/)

darcyw 01-12-2019 05:52 AM

MOON...netflix revival

I was searching thru Netflix under Sci-fi movies and Moon came up as a match- it stars Sam Rockwell and Sam Rockwell, oh, and Sam Rockwell. I remember when it came out 10 years ago and never saw it until it showed up on Netflix just now.

This is a slow drama, in the vein of Blade Runner or 2001, with similar themes to the first. The movie takes place on the other side of the moon where a company mines energy from its surface- don't worry about the technicalities. Rockwell's character is tasked with running the station under a 3 year contract and is nearing the end of his stint. He can't wait to get back to his family being as he's the only employee on the station- although the company provides a robotic overseer/assistant (voiced by Kevin Spacey) that keeps watch over him.

The movie brings up interesting themes of self awareness and isolation.

I really liked it and give it a 7.5 to 8/10. Kids could watch it, but they'd be bored.

darcy

s2000Junky 01-15-2019 08:17 AM

Oh yeah I watched this about 2 years ago when I came across it. I'd give it a good 7.5/10, definitely enjoyed it!

hirev 01-15-2019 02:20 PM

I found it entertaining, I guessed the twist ending ,and thought he did a great job. I have to give it a 5 outta 10 just cause it was just so slow moving, lots of filler as well

vader1 01-18-2019 10:41 AM

Rockwell is always gold.

If you like a more slow burn cerebral Sci-fi a couple you may not have watched that might be to your liking would be the George Clooney American version of Solaris, and Sunshine is ok too. Sunshine is usually available for free and swapping back and forth between Amazon and Netflix for the rights, you might have to pay a couple bucks to find the superior Solaris.

s2000Junky 01-18-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24555817)
Rockwell is always gold.

If you like a more slow burn cerebral Sci-fi a couple you may not have watched that might be to your liking would be the George Clooney American version of Solaris, and Sunshine is ok too. Sunshine is usually available for free and swapping back and forth between Amazon and Netflix for the rights, you might have to pay a couple bucks to find the superior Solaris.

Thanks for the heads up. I think ive seen Solaris but not sure about Sunshine.

Always down for a decent scifi. I've got a 104" screen and dedicated home theater room in my man cave, which lends itself well to big production scifi films. They are my fav.

vader1 01-18-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24555838)
Thanks for the heads up. I think ive seen Solaris but not sure about Sunshine.

Always down for a decent scifi. I've got a 104" screen and dedicated home theater room in my man cave, which lends itself well to big production scifi films. They are my fav.

Well it is kind of bleak future sci-fi and not too much eye candy except for a couple cool action sequences but have you seen Curon's Children of Men? I think that is a netflix stream freebie, or at least it was a couple months ago. Bleak, bleak movie. Solid payoff at the end I thought.

Oh and if you have not caught onto the reallly, really solid former SyFy, soon to be Amazon series The Expanse you should. That has been really good. On Prime in 4k. My projector is only 1080p, still looks fantastic. Great if you are up for a binge weekend.

s2000Junky 01-18-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24555891)
Well it is kind of bleak future sci-fi and not too much eye candy except for a couple cool action sequences but have you seen Curon's Children of Men? I think that is a netflix stream freebie, or at least it was a couple months ago. Bleak, bleak movie. Solid payoff and the end I thought.

Oh and if you have not caught onto the reallly, really solid former SyFy, soon to be Amazon series The Expanse you should be. That has been really good. On Prime in 4k. My projector is only 1080p, still looks fantastic. Great if you are up for a binge weekend.

No haven't seen Curon's Children of Men either. Sounds like I have some more titles to look up, thanks. :thumbup: I've found it can be a roll of the dice ending up with a pretty terrible B movie when it comes to streaming scifi options. Always nice to stumble onto a quality film I haven't seen yet.

darcyw 01-18-2019 05:26 PM

Thumbs up Children of Men. Solaris thumbs up...but again slow burn (great description). Finally got to see 2001 2 weeks ago. And big thumbs up for the projector- immersive experience for the sci fi fan- even in 1080p its an event.

darcy

hirev 01-26-2019 10:06 AM

This is a good film, well written, cast, and a bit slow moving. When you come to the end it is satisfying to know what you expect to somehow resolve, actually does. 7.5 outta 10. The filler i think is just an important part of the suspense and mystery of the story. it also could have been a 1/2 hour twilight zone story as well.