Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Ain't life grand?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ain't life grand?

Well it looks like my fair city of New Orleans will be devastated by yet another hurricane. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I'm staying here for there storm, but I'm leaving for the aftermath. No point in sticking around with no electricity and running water... and possibly a flooded house ripped apart by fallen trees.

Anyway, I think when I leave here I might head up to Fontana a few days early and stay there until DBR... maybe even a few days after. Can't imagine a better place to be after another bad hurricane. For Katrina most places were willing to comp or discount rooms for people from the New Orleans area... fingers crossed that Fontana will do the same, but I'm not counting on it

For those of you that know me, you know that this is just the proverbial nail in the coffin for what has already been a terrible year for me. On top of all this, I just finished piecing together my new turbo kit for the S2000... most of which is sitting in a mini storage right in the path of the hurricane. The rest of it is on order from some S2KI sponsors and out for delivery... deliveries that will probably get lost in all the chaos and I will never see them.

Ain't life grand? Wish me luck.

Mike
Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man, and sorry to hear about all that. I look forward to pouring a beer for you in 2 weeks!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming,Aug 30 2008, 07:41 PM
Good luck man, and sorry to hear about all that. I look forward to pouring a beer for you in 2 weeks!
Thanks man.. I'll be needing that beer!

It looks like my area will be seeing the east side of the storm (the worst side). There is a mandatory evacuation in place. I'm staying with my brother in the area, but I'm staying North of the flood prone area. We will still see very strong winds (upwards of 140 MPH) and it will take at least 2 days to cut ourselves out. Just to give you an idea, there were over 300 trees down after Katrina on the road between my brothers house and and major highways. We are expecting higher winds than Katrina. I will post here as soon as I can after the storm passes. We will not have power, water, etc for weeks, so I will not be able to get internet access until I leave the area. I'll try to take some pictures and video for you guys.

After this storm, we are not expecting the local economy to recover. It just isn't realistic. There is nothing left here for me. We will most like be selling what is left of our home/property, packing whatever we have left and getting the hell out of here... thinking of moving somewhere near Atlanta. Maybe even Greenville, SC. Only time will tell.

Pray for us.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Former Moderator

After living in Hurricane prone Eastern Carolina...I can tell you I don't miss it... The one good thing about a Hurricane is that you know it's coming...the bad thing (well, there's lots of reasons) is that you never really know what you'll get.

So...you prepare.

Good thing you are doing just that. I'm not one to question your decision to stay...but if it were me, I'd be MILES and MILES away from your area.

Of course, after Katrina...I wanted nothing more than to be there and HELP.

Best of luck Mike. Be safe.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 AM

Mike - any news? From the weather reports, it sounds like it's not as bad as it could have been... what's the word from our man on the scene?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Hey Mike - John and I are thinking about you...stay safe and we can't wait to see you at DBR...
Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Hey guys. I JUST got power back here. Things are okay. It could have been SOOO much worse. We really dodged a bullet down here. I have a few pics to share, but nothing as crazy as the scenes from Katrina. I appreciate the kind words from everyone. See you all at DBR!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Good to hear that you are safe, and thing are not too terrible down there! Hope you start to dry out a bit, soon, as well. We're getting ready for Hanna, here, and I hope our experience is similar to yours.

Look forward to meeting you at the DBR.

Dave
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by parkerdt,Sep 3 2008, 05:07 PM
Good to hear that you are safe, and thing are not too terrible down there! Hope you start to dry out a bit, soon, as well. We're getting ready for Hanna, here, and I hope our experience is similar to yours.

Look forward to meeting you at the DBR.

Dave
Thanks... We probably met at WTD. I have a problem linking faces to screen names

Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Well, I'll be the guy toting around my two daughters in addition to my +1. So, by all means, come up and say hi if I miss you.

Dave

Quick Reply: Ain't life grand?