Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

BD's Wednesday and Thursday Drives

Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Default BD's Wednesday and Thursday Drives

Now that the Mamba is back on the road. Its time to do some great roads up there. I know some are planning to arrive early to Fontana Village. Post up if you are interested in joining me on either day. I'll be on channel 4.0 around Fontana if you need to get in touch.

Wednesday I'm planning to check out the new section of the Foothills Parkway and then make the trek to do the Devil's Triangle. If you are interested I plan to leave from Deals Gap after breakfast around 9:00am Deals opens for breakfast at 8:00am. This will take all day to drive. We will find a place for lunch on the route.

Thursday I'm planning to do more great mountain roads around the Waynesville, NC area. This one we will leave from Fontana at 8:00am by the car wash area and enjoy some very nice roads. We will eat breakfast in Waynesville,NC at a Chick-fil-A. Hopefully we can hook up with the Canucks and cruise back to Fontana with them. Lunch will again be on the route somewhere. Later BD
Old 04-17-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Now that the Mamba is back on the road. Its time to do some great roads up there. I know some are planning to arrive early to Fontana Village. Post up if you are interested in joining me on either day. I'll be on channel 4.0 around Fontana if you need to get in touch.

Wednesday I'm planning to check out the new section of the Foothills Parkway and then make the trek to do the Devil's Triangle. If you are interested I plan to leave from Deals Gap after breakfast around 9:00am Deals opens for breakfast at 8:00am. This will take all day to drive. We will find a place for lunch on the route.

Thursday I'm planning to do more great mountain roads around the Waynesville, NC area. This one we will leave from Fontana at 8:00am by the car wash area and enjoy some very nice roads. We will eat breakfast in Waynesville,NC at a Chick-fil-A. Hopefully we can hook up with the Canucks and cruise back to Fontana with them. Lunch will again be on the route somewhere. Later BD
Bama, tell me more about the new Foothills section- where is it?
darcy
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer

https://goo.gl/maps/3N7UF3vS1Yo8Uu2g9
Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM

found some video reports when it opened...maybe a night drive is needed here? the google maps satellite view shows all the construction that was happening. pretty cool and will likely be lost to be replaced by the paved views once the maps are updated. The street view shows the road signs indicating that the road is closed.

Also, on the old section, right near the Happy Valley cross over, there's a place called Look Rock - its like a "mini Klingman's dome". Apparently about a 45 minute round trip hike up with great views!

thanks, Bama.
darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 04-17-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
found some video reports when it opened...maybe a night drive is needed here? the google maps satellite view shows all the construction that was happening. pretty cool and will likely be lost to be replaced by the paved views once the maps are updated. The street view shows the road signs indicating that the road is closed.

Also, on the old section, right near the Happy Valley cross over, there's a place called Look Rock - its like a "mini Klingman's dome". Apparently about a 45 minute round trip hike up with great views!

thanks, Bama.
darcy
Yes, my group took the look out stop last year. It appears to be an old look out tower with a long ramp leading up to the top. After 8 years of driving past it, I finally walked up the trail and up the tower. Fun stop and chance to talk.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

How busy with traffic is the Foothills Parkway during the week?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
How busy with traffic is the Foothills Parkway during the week?
I don't think I have ever seen the parkway actually busy. After 6 pm it is down right deserted.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Community Organizer

Ok Darcy when are you planning a night run to FHP sir. Do tell!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Ok Darcy when are you planning a night run to FHP sir. Do tell!!!
the secret society of night drives. speak the password and enter...or just listen on channel 4. maybe the Thursday night cherohala run will become FHP this year...

darcy
Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
the secret society of night drives. speak the password and enter...or just listen on channel 4. maybe the Thursday night cherohala run will become FHP this year...

darcy
Maybe that would be a good plan because to do a FHP night drive we have to do the Dragon too.
Hmmm. Decisions.

Quick Reply: BD's Wednesday and Thursday Drives