Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Chicago convoy to the DB Run

Old 09-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chicago convoy to the DB Run

Hey, there will be a good number of us coming from the upper midwest area.

I am planning on leaving in the early afternoon that Thursday...I could leave earlier, but that's the plan as of now...what about you guys?

Q? When are you guys gonna take off? (And it was great meeting you the other night)

Can't wait for this...!

Old 09-08-2001, 10:28 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Greg, I'll be going down thursday, but I don't know how early I can weasel out of work (some of us actually do work while at work ). I was thinking leaving here around 4, hit Chitown around 630ish, get to Knoxville around 2am-3am depending on velocity. Mapquest says the trip is 12.5 hours, but I'd be willing to say more like 10 (714 miles). If I left here at noon, I'd get to Chicago around 3, probably make Knoxville by 11pm or so?
Old 09-10-2001, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Greg,
Great meeting you guys lask week, I had a great time. I'm planning on leaving thursday afternoon. I just got to get the kiddies home from school which is about 345pm. After that I'm a free man til sunday. Well that is as free as a married man with his wife can be.....btw i want to be a card carrying VOTA member. ...one more thing, since it took me 3 days to figure out what St--k meant, sign me up for the Anti-St--K club ....okay back to business how does around 4 sound to leave or do you guys plan on leaving sooner? let me know
Old 09-14-2001, 07:32 AM
Banned

Having done the drive to the Dragon from Chicago for Asheville - leaving at 4 from here is NOT fun.

I left the northern burbs at like 3, had to pick the GF up downtown and then hit the road. I got in to Knoxville at about 2am local time I think. It pretty much sucked. It got cold in the mountains too, but I wasn't about to pull over and waste time putting the top up!!!

Have fun everyone - I'll be enjoying the Vintage Weekend at Road America.

PS - Be Safe too!
Old 09-14-2001, 07:44 AM
Banned

Brad, leaving at 4 isn't as bad as the time we went to the Dragon and left at 10pm!! Now THAT sucked!

Driving all night, finally pulling off to try to "sleep" after having a huge Mountain Dew, tossing and turning in the passenger seat around Lexington...man, that was a great weekend, but what a bitch of a drive!

I would like to get out of Chicago about noon, actually. I realize that Q won't be able to and probably not many others, but I don't want to get into Knoxville any later than about 9-10.

Anybody with me?
Old 09-14-2001, 09:58 AM

i'm with you!!!! i would love to leave at noon, and can probably switch things around to make it happen. knoxville is 539 miles away. i've done the drive at least 10 times and i usually make it in under 7 hours. that has always been driven in a suburban or an excursion, imagine the time in a s2000........lets make this happen people.....plus if we get in at 10 or so the bars are still open
Old 09-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you guys have everything under control. . .see you at the event. . .

Drive safe!
Old 09-17-2001, 12:05 PM
Banned

My plans are up in the air right now...

I am having trouble with some kind of crazy vibration in the drivetrain. I'm taking the car in Wednesday night, so I won't know until then what the deal with it is.

There's no way it will be fixed by Thursday, but I'm going to have to trust the mechanic (who comes highly recommended) whether or not I should risk making the trip.

Pretty bummed as I think I know what he will probably say...

Stay tuned...
Old 09-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]My plans are up in the air right now...
Old 09-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Banned

I decided to brave it and come on down...

How could I miss hanging out with you whackjobs AND driving the Dragon?!?

I want to leave Chicago no later than about 1:30. Anybody with me?

Quick Reply: Chicago convoy to the DB Run