Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.
View Poll Results: Please let me know your participation status:
Participating solo
55.56%
Participating with +1
33.33%
Not Participating (not interested/too young)
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

DBR '08 Beer Swap and Wine Tasting

Old 08-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DBR '08 Beer Swap and Wine Tasting

Hello to all you DragonBallers! I hereby announce the 2008 DBR Beer Swap and Wine Tasting (a.k.a. "Drink & BS" ( & ) activity will return for DragonBall Run, and will be better than ever! (of course, the bar isn't all that high at this point ) There are a few exciting changes this time around, so put on your reading glasses, grab an adult beverage, and keep on reading!

Who: Anyone is welcome, but only those over 21 may participate in the drinking of the adult beverages
What: Bring some beers (6 pack is typically plenty) and a good attitude. Talk to people with other beers, make some trades, and try some new things. We highly encourage local micro-brews, as that gives us each the pleasure of tasting your neck of the woods. Show us the local flavors your state has to offer! *NEW* We are encouraging wine-swap for this event as well. Don't like beer, stick to the wine! Remember to bring some glasses!
When: Friday night, during the Registration/Welcome Dinner (7:00 until
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM

...reserved for attendance/beverage list...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in! PLEASE tell me that there will be a home brew hefewiezen again! My mouth still waters thinking about it. I've had the regular Hoegaarden, but I've never seen that one... this should be interesting. Should we bring our own oranges?

I'll be bringing Abita again...since I'm from Abita! (last time I brought Amber, Golden, and Strawberry Ale) Any special requests? Turbo Dog? Andygator? Amber? Jockamo IPA?

Check out the Abita site and select a few:

www.abita.com

Just look for the name tag (s2krazy2) at the beer swap and grab you a cold Abita!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'll participate! I'm going to bring some homebrew but I'm not sure how much of each to bring. I have 5 varieties bottled and want to bring enough that everyone who wants to try one can have some. Any suggestions on number of each kind (they're in 12 oz. bottles)? Maybe I'll bring more of the more popular kinds and less of the less popular ones. I only have so much room in the trunk! Here are the varieties:

Brown Ale -- Slightly hoppy american brown ale. Light bodied and fairly high carbonation with slight chocolate/roasted flavors. ABV around 4.8%, easy drinking.

Pale Ale -- Moderately hoppy american pale. Amarillo hops give this brew a citrusy character. Moderate bitterness and fairly easy drinking. ABV of 5.2%.

Hobgoblin Clone -- Very similar to the commercial brew. If you haven't tried it you should, its great. Good body, strong caramel/chocolate flavors, very little hop flavor or aroma. A very nice typical british ale with a fairly high ABV of 6.3%.

English Mild -- This one is still young but is starting to come around. I added a little flaked oatmeal to enhance the body and used a great english yeast that has fairly low attenuation leaving hte brew with some residual sweetness and a bit thicker body. Liberal use of crystal and chocolate malts give it a strong flavor with some bitter roastiness. ABV of 4.0%.

Cream Ale -- Basically an american lager but fermented with an ale yeast. Very light in color with typical crispness and high carbonation. BMC drinkers should enjoy this one. Lightly hopped. I don't hav emy notes on this one with me but I think ABV is around 3.5-3.8%. It is still pretty young but being such a small light beer it should age quickly and will hopefully be good to go for the dragonball event.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by S2krazy2,Aug 22 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm in! PLEASE tell me that there will be a home brew hefewiezen again! My mouth still waters thinking about it. I've had the regular Hoegaarden, but I've never seen that one... this should be interesting. Should we bring our own oranges?

I'll be bringing Abita again...since I'm from Abita! (last time I brought Amber, Golden, and Strawberry Ale) Any special requests? Turbo Dog? Andygator? Amber? Jockamo IPA?

Check out the Abita site and select a few:

www.abita.com

Just look for the name tag (s2krazy2) at the beer swap and grab you a cold Abita!
hey pal - sorry to report I'm not bringing the hefe again, but I think you'll like this one just as well.

my vote for Abita - Purple Haze. That is one delicious and refreshing beer!! I haven't tried too many other of Abita's offerings, so bring us a selection
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by kingbriani,Aug 22 2008, 10:24 AM
I'll participate! I'm going to bring some homebrew but I'm not sure how much of each to bring. I have 5 varieties bottled and want to bring enough that everyone who wants to try one can have some. Any suggestions on number of each kind (they're in 12 oz. bottles)? Maybe I'll bring more of the more popular kinds and less of the less popular ones. I only have so much room in the trunk! Here are the varieties:

Brown Ale -- Slightly hoppy american brown ale. Light bodied and fairly high carbonation with slight chocolate/roasted flavors. ABV around 4.8%, easy drinking.

Pale Ale -- Moderately hoppy american pale. Amarillo hops give this brew a citrusy character. Moderate bitterness and fairly easy drinking. ABV of 5.2%.

Hobgoblin Clone -- Very similar to the commercial brew. If you haven't tried it you should, its great. Good body, strong caramel/chocolate flavors, very little hop flavor or aroma. A very nice typical british ale with a fairly high ABV of 6.3%.

English Mild -- This one is still young but is starting to come around. I added a little flaked oatmeal to enhance the body and used a great english yeast that has fairly low attenuation leaving hte brew with some residual sweetness and a bit thicker body. Liberal use of crystal and chocolate malts give it a strong flavor with some bitter roastiness. ABV of 4.0%.

Cream Ale -- Basically an american lager but fermented with an ale yeast. Very light in color with typical crispness and high carbonation. BMC drinkers should enjoy this one. Lightly hopped. I don't hav emy notes on this one with me but I think ABV is around 3.5-3.8%. It is still pretty young but being such a small light beer it should age quickly and will hopefully be good to go for the dragonball event.
welcome, kingbriani!! Come join in our tasty festival of flavors and imbibement!

Based on what we saw at WTD, it's no problem to get rid of 6, and with you offering a selection of special home-brews, you could get rid of a lot more if you wanted.

People typically swap 1 for 1, but we don't have any rules regarding that. Just no selling! It was very relaxed at the last event, and everyone was more than generous. There's always another thirsty mouth.

My personal picks - the english mild & the cream ale. But, bring a good variety, as everyone has a different preference.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Who's bringing the PBR?????
Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming,Aug 22 2008, 08:42 PM
Who's bringing the PBR?????
That's Willie Gee's department.

Cooled to the optimal drinking temperature of 86.7* F
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming,Aug 22 2008, 11:37 PM
hey pal - sorry to report I'm not bringing the hefe again, but I think you'll like this one just as well.

my vote for Abita - Purple Haze. That is one delicious and refreshing beer!! I haven't tried too many other of Abita's offerings, so bring us a selection
Sucks I can't make this years DBR. But just for the record Turbo Dog is one of my all time favorites. If you haven't tried it you should...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

over 100 views and only 4 votes? more for us!

Quick Reply: DBR '08 Beer Swap and Wine Tasting