Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

First RTD adventure

Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Originally Posted by darcyw' timestamp='1366596415' post='22489351
[quote name='Bama Dave' timestamp='1366594538' post='22489293']
Darcyw is that your grey car with the 115 on the doors?
yes. the magnetic sheeting protects the paint at speed and it is my slalom (autocross) number...and the number of bags of ketchup chips I ate in one sitting.

darcy
Glad to hear that. Fontana Is looking for you about do donuts on the wet grass after the friday night dinner. Can you please call them and talk with them about this issue. Just kidding man. Your write up is great and thanks for the story. Hope to see you again next year. I also use them for autocross. Later BD.
[/quote]

it was really wet on that grass. i had no control. my right foot slipped. i was chasing a squirrel.

darcy
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Originally Posted by Bama Dave' timestamp='1366597376' post='22489380
[quote name='darcyw' timestamp='1366596415' post='22489351']
[quote name='Bama Dave' timestamp='1366594538' post='22489293']
yes. the magnetic sheeting protects the paint at speed and it is my slalom (autocross) number...and the number of bags of ketchup chips I ate in one sitting.

darcy
Glad to hear that. Fontana Is looking for you about do donuts on the wet grass after the friday night dinner. Can you please call them and talk with them about this issue. Just kidding man. Your write up is great and thanks for the story. Hope to see you again next year. I also use them for autocross. Later BD.
[/quote]

it was really wet on that grass. i had no control. my right foot slipped. i was chasing a squirrel.

darcy
[/quote]

Please don't say "Squirrel" looking left. Thanks man. Later BD
Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great darcyw!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
"SILVER!!"

Darcy, enjoyed meeting you, however briefly. Thanks for my "new" console! I look forward to seeing you guys again.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by smccoy
Originally Posted by Bama Dave' timestamp='1366594538' post='22489293
"SILVER!!"

Darcy, enjoyed meeting you, however briefly. Thanks for my "new" console! I look forward to seeing you guys again.
Thanks Shelia I was wondering if anyone would notice that comment. Good to see You, Ron, Gary and Jamie at Fontana. Let me know if y'all are going to the Summer Macdragon. Might bring the queen back in the M35. Looking to take her up on the Skyway this time. Later BD
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up Darcy. Almost made me feel like I was there. LOL

The washed out road pictures are actually of the Cherohola. It was still passable on one lane only. It was actually from the road technicion that suggested we find the road to no-where. The washout on 441 was well blocked off from the North and I don't believe was accessable from the south either. I missed that run and the road to nowhere when I helped out with the Poker run.
And good job finding those flood gates. I don't think I have seen those yet?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Those crazy Canadians came prepared.....

Their drive down was an adventure, then Marion, and then they knew which roads they wanted to drive near the Dragon.....

Took some planning, but it sounds like they had one hell of a roadtrip!!!!
LOL
We found some by accident. I led Billman down the "Python" before knowing it had a name. OMG some of the nicest pavement on the trip.
We found the "Rattler" on the way home.

It will be a hard trip to top but still gotta find "Six Gaps" and "Devils Triangle"
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

The Cherohala Skyway was my favorite road...love how scenic it is and the long sweepers...next year I will join you guys for both events !!!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zenairdave
Great write up Darcy. Almost made me feel like I was there. LOL

The washed out road pictures are actually of the Cherohola. It was still passable on one lane only. It was actually from the road technicion that suggested we find the road to no-where. The washout on 441 was well blocked off from the North and I don't believe was accessable from the south either. I missed that run and the road to nowhere when I helped out with the Poker run.
And good job finding those flood gates. I don't think I have seen those yet?
Dave:
Road to Nowhere (Fontana Road) north out of Bryson City was fun to discover.
South end of 441 was closed at a picnic area about 5 miles north of the Blue Ridge Parkway intersection.
We turned around at the barricades, came back down to the BRP and then went blasting through the 5 tunnels on the section of the BRP east of 441 heading to Maggie Valley.
We then took 215 south (another good one) between Waynesville and Rosman, then went west on 64 to 107 North and then found Pine Creek Road / Walnut Creek Road (very nice) west off of 107 which joined into 28 between Highlands and Franklin.
New adventures every year, eh?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Next year we have to push South a bit more. south of Highlands we have been missing and Suches Run down by Murphy Also Hiwassee Dam area and there were some summer olympics on some river with some cool bridges to check out. So for all you jokers that try to do the trip in just a long weekend, book off the whole Damn week and come with us this time.

Quick Reply: First RTD adventure