Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Hilltops & Hollers Drive

Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hilltops & Hollers Drive

I wanted to gauge interest in the really fun and usually more intimate Hilltops & Hollers run. We will depart from the Harley Davidson store after the Monster Roll Out on Saturday, take Happy Valley Road (a nice and twisty, although rural back road) to Maryville, TN. where we will be having lunch at Nater'z Sports Grill before heading back to Fontana via the Dragon. You'll be back in time for the Poker Run if you are thinking about participating, or just relaxing at Fontana/doing Dragon runs. I'll need an approximate attendee count in the next week or so, please post up if interested

In:

1.) Funat9000rpm
2.) Habitforming
3.) Stephonovich
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the poker run happening this year? I'm torn between this and the Cherohala drive, but I do the Cherohala drive every year, so...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
is the poker run happening this year? I'm torn between this and the Cherohala drive, but I do the Cherohala drive every year, so...
1.) I'm not sure about the poker run haven't seen a thread about it yet...

2.) I got Bill to join us for this run in the spring, he said he had a good time, maybe that'll sway your opinion But all joking aside, I really like this run because it includes some nice backroads, lunch, then enough seat time on the Dragon in the afternoon and you don't have to spend your entire day in your car
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1377656054' post='22748509
1.) I'm not sure about the poker run haven't seen a thread about it yet...

2.) I got Bill to join us for this run in the spring, he said he had a good time, maybe that'll sway your opinion But all joking aside, I really like this run because it includes some nice backroads, lunch, then enough seat time on the Dragon in the afternoon and you don't have to spend your entire day in your car

Good point, I'll do this one instead. Plus, the pace will probably be more to my liking!

One of the reasons I never went in the past is that half of the drive (Foothills Pkwy) is what I drive on the way in and out for the weekend. It's a good road, you just don't want to get a speeding ticket on Federal property!

Remember, on the way back we can hike stop and up to Look Rock tower which gives a good look over the mountains & towns nearby. It's toward the end of Foothills if you're coming from Maryville, and about a half mile hike I think.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Good point, I'll do this one instead. Plus, the pace will probably be more to my liking!

One of the reasons I never went in the past is that half of the drive (Foothills Pkwy) is what I drive on the way in and out for the weekend. It's a good road, you just don't want to get a speeding ticket on Federal property!

Remember, on the way back we can hike stop and up to Look Rock tower which gives a good look over the mountains & towns nearby. It's toward the end of Foothills if you're coming from Maryville, and about a half mile hike I think.
I'll set a "Habitforming pace" for this run , but please be aware that we will pass through residential areas, as well as some roads that haven't been paved since the civil war. I'll slow it down for those areas accordingly

Lookout tower is *definitely* on my list (but not mandatory for other H&H run participants), as is a run up the Cherohala on Thursday/Friday night for another photography session, weather permitting of course.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Haha, contrary to popular belief, I CAN drive 55, and even less than that at times. No worries about the pace.

I'm definitely getting up to the Cherohala at some point. I like todo that with a small well known group though.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Are the usual Hilltoppers coming to this event? Jamie, the McCoys, etc. ?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
Are the usual Hilltoppers coming to this event? Jamie, the McCoys, etc. ?
Cant' make it this time, Flo, but you'll make a great "fearless leader". Have fun!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by smccoy
Cant' make it this time, Flo, but you'll make a great "fearless leader". Have fun!

Can you PM me the map again, please?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in. Did it this spring and loved it.

"Are there two lanes?" "Um..."

Quick Reply: Hilltops & Hollers Drive