Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Need more volunteers for group drives

Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Need more volunteers for group drives

After doing to my surprize 10 events now. We need more group drive leaders and tail gunners. The Friday for Franklin drive always have too many cars for the amount of leaders. I personally had 30 cars with me. The drive itself was great even with 2 flat tires and waiting for them to get back moving again. Logistics at times was a nightmare trying to find a place that we all could pull over as a group. If have been there a couple if times and think you would like to lead a drive please do so. Thanks BD
Old 04-14-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what you're complaining about... my drive had 4!!!

I'm always available to lead, just don't have me lead the newbies
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be leading a devils triangle group drive next time I'm down there on Saturday
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
I'm always available to lead, just don't have me lead the newbies
Likewise
Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I always wanted to lead a drive at the dragon event and haven't been giving the chance.

Since I know where certain places are, I just lead some groups there. (Like the waterfall)

But here in NY I lead one of the largest drive in the northeast so I think I qualify:

Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlozano180
I always wanted to lead a drive at the dragon event and haven't been giving the chance.

Since I know where certain places are, I just lead some groups there. (Like the waterfall)

But here in NY I lead one of the largest drive in the northeast so I think I qualify:

Youll get your chance next go-round, I assure you lol

You are more than capable and have run one of the biggest, best organized events I have ever seen.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 970 Likes on 664 Posts

Thanks Jose. You're now on the list. Only thing you have to do is volunteer. The help is always appreciated.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Good luck guys you are in the mix now. I think we have some great volunteers for next years event. Please make sure to post up the drives that you are interested in doing. Thx BD
Old 04-14-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
After doing to my surprize 10 events now. We need more group drive leaders and tail gunners. The Friday for Franklin drive always have too many cars for the amount of leaders. I personally had 30 cars with me. The drive itself was great even with 2 flat tires and waiting for them to get back moving again. Logistics at times was a nightmare trying to find a place that we all could pull over as a group. If have been there a couple if times and think you would like to lead a drive pkease do so. Thanks BD
Dave:

I think we have at least multiple issues here.

1. People do not sign up for a particular drive in advance, but just show up and expect to be allowed to go - this is why I no longer post my drives, as it makes the drive no fun when you have 13 cars signed up, and a total of 35 show up. This also screws up lunch, when you tell the restaurant 20 people, and have 65 people.

2. Not enough drives scheduled, or timing to close together - the Fridays Franklin drive should be at least 45 minutes apart, to allow Cafe Rel to be able to turn tables. Too many of us want to sit and talk and make new friends or just enjoy our food. Having a fresh batch of people every 20-30 minutes doesn't allow for this. Maybe we need to offer other lunch drives for Friday? Maybe to Cash's BBQ?

3. What to do with extra cars - maybe we just need to make it REALLY clear, that cars not signed up for a drive will not be allowed to join it. This will be difficult if I'm leading a drive and you ask to join after the fact. I mean, how could I say no to you?

4. Drive leaders are responsible to keep their group to a manageable size - If too many people sign up in advance, the GL needs to find another group leader. If people just show up, go to point 1 above.

One thing that I hope to have done by the September drive is to have all of our drives (the OKI drives) detailed with turn by turn instructions. If the GL has a navigator, they shouldn't have any issues with getting lost. This may allow us to get more GL's signed up, if they already have a route they can run, and not have to map one themselves.

Just my two cents worth!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Thanks Jose. You're now on the list. Only thing you have to do is volunteer. The help is always appreciated.
I been trying to do that for 3 years now.

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Good luck guys you are in the mix now. I think we have some great volunteers for next years event. Please make sure to post up the drives that you are interested in doing. Thx BD
No problem, I'm ready. If I can do 60 cars, 20 is a walk in the park.

Quick Reply: Need more volunteers for group drives