Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Rock the Dragon 2017. April 27-30 at Fontana Village

Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 PM
MWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Maryville Tn. at the end of the dragon, for those interested, Chilhowee dam at the end of the dragon is having more repair work done, so as you exit the dragon in Tenn. on 129 you will see the lake drawn down to the orgional river bed and the old roads etc, before Alcoa built the the dams for electricity for their plants. if you drive down to the dam you can see the repair work.
The following users liked this post:
gephelps (04-21-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
Hi all, New member with a red, pristine garage queen, 2005 s2k with 23,000 miles I got in Jan. 2017. First post so this already may have been mentioned but on Sunday the April 30, Knoxville Tn. just out side the dragon, has Cars and coffee at West Town Mall. It is one of the largest in the south ,with close or more than 4,000 cars last fall. Would be great to have a big S2000 turn out.
Welcome! We'll see you at the Exxon in Maryville on Thursday. This sounds like a great meet.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
I live in Maryville Tn. at the end of the dragon, for those interested, Chilhowee dam at the end of the dragon is having more repair work done, so as you exit the dragon in Tenn. on 129 you will see the lake drawn down to the orgional river bed and the old roads etc, before Alcoa built the the dams for electricity for their plants. if you drive down to the dam you can see the repair work.
wasn't the reservoir drained last June as well? I remember seeing the exposed roadways and bridges at the summer dragon 2016.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
Hi all, New member with a red, pristine garage queen, 2005 s2k with 23,000 miles I got in Jan. 2017. First post so this already may have been mentioned but on Sunday the April 30, Knoxville Tn. just out side the dragon, has Cars and coffee at West Town Mall. It is one of the largest in the south ,with close or more than 4,000 cars last fall. Would be great to have a big S2000 turn out.
I usually head back to Nashville through Knoxville via a stop at Copper Kettle for brunch. What time is the meet? Sounds fun....maybe we can get a group that goes to brunch together afterwards. Keep me posted!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 PM
MWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They lowered the lake some in fall of 2015 looking for a leak, spring of 2016 the lake was still close to boaters. They found the leak and drew the lake down to where it is now, I am not sure when they did that, but the severe drought last year did not help and if you go to Gatlinburg your will see the results of the fires we had. Many areas in the city, surrounding areas and in the park were burned with loss of several lives. you can drive through the city and see buildings burned and ones next door ok.
it is very sad to see. I haven"t been up by the dam on Chilhowee lake at the beginning of the dragon in Tn. since fall of 2015 as I did not have a reason untell I got my S2000. Now since the end of Jan. I have been several times..Be Aware, last fall they had a several motorcycle deaths on the dragon and the police are on the dragon a lot. I have been 4 or 5 times since Jan. and have not gone once and not have seen one either going or coming. Looking forward to meeting some of you as a new guy.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
Be Aware, last fall they had a several motorcycle deaths on the dragon and the police are on the dragon a lot. I have been 4 or 5 times since Jan. and have not gone once and not have seen one either going or coming. Looking forward to meeting some of you as a new guy.
the dragon needs intense patrolling…they need all local law enforcement to be there…all of them…right along 129. its critical. very important. 28 and cherohola are fine without. yup. 129 is the one.

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
if you go to Gatlinburg your will see the results of the fires we had. Many areas in the city, surrounding areas and in the park were burned with loss of several lives. you can drive through the city and see buildings burned and ones next door ok.
it is very sad to see.
We were there near the time when the fires were starting to be controlled. It was really bad.

Originally Posted by MWC
Be Aware, last fall they had a several motorcycle deaths on the dragon and the police are on the dragon a lot. I have been 4 or 5 times since Jan. and have not gone once and not have seen one either going or coming. Looking forward to meeting some of you as a new guy.
At least one a season seems to be the (unfortunate) average. The county motorcycle LEO's are great, TN State...they are a bit more "strict". We've been coming to the Dragon for over 15 years, every year the LEO presence increases. Not a bad thing, there are some people who should never try to drive any road with curves.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC
Added it to my calendar, not sure if I will be there or not.

TN Cars and Coffee
8:00am – 11:30am
7600 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
Facebook Post
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a local as well, I didn't sign up for any of the drives but hope to see some other s2000 guys and gals out playing around. ill be up there most the day Saturday. cant wait to meet everyone!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm also a local.
I didn't dig deep enough before hand to realize the drives are sign up only before hand (which makes sense).
Hoping to run into some of you up there anyway.

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails Rock the Dragon 2017.  April 27-30 at Fontana Village-s2000.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Rock the Dragon 2017. April 27-30 at Fontana Village