Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Rockin' the Dragon 2014 - April 10-13, 2014

Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 970 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Goodness that's shaping up to be one heck of an itinerary! At some point, we (I just volunteered, didn't I? ) should probably lay out the itinerary in a clear manner so attendees can easily see which drives overlap & thus that they can attend.
Start laying out the drive itinerary. Do it in Word. When you think you have a finished product, send it to me and I'll add it to the "official" itinerary (the one with the right dates ).

I have one other suggestion - Fluffy Clouds stays off the itinerary, and becomes invite only. Just a thought, feel free to discuss
Also not a bad idea.

Also, though I can't be 100% certain of my attendance in the spring, I am happy to lead the Cherohala Express drive in case Scammedon doesn't want to run a, shall we say "very spritied," pace.
Duly noted. You've been "volun-told".
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1379469958' post='22783774
Goodness that's shaping up to be one heck of an itinerary! At some point, we (I just volunteered, didn't I? ) should probably lay out the itinerary in a clear manner so attendees can easily see which drives overlap & thus that they can attend.
Start laying out the drive itinerary. Do it in Word. When you think you have a finished product, send it to me and I'll add it to the "official" itinerary (the one with the right dates ).

<snip>

I'm happy to do so. I'll need to know how long each drive will last. If the leader has a preference for day & time of departure, I need that as well.

Attention all drive leaders - please post here or PM to me your drive's duration, and if you have a preferred date & time of departure
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil & Kim, and Laura & I, did Foothills Pkwy, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, Clingman's Dome and Road to Nowhere in one big loop. Most of it would normally be scenic-to-moderate pace, with a few spirited spurts, cuz traffic won't allow anything more. We left Fontana at 9am and didn't return until about 8pm, which included said traffic, many stops in Roaring Fork, lunch, walking up to the CD observation tower, and walking through the RtN tunnel.

I'd be willing to lead this same drive if anyone is interested. Otherwise, I'll fall in with one of the other outings.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would like to keep my Cherohala run where it currently is, departing @ 11am after monster roll out from the Harley Store. If we cut out the lunch stop, the return time to Fontana should be 130pm. As for the BrewerDome run, I'd like to schedule that Thursday but I need to work out the logistics on that.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudman
Originally Posted by scammedon' timestamp='1379470813' post='22783787
[quote name='Habitforming' timestamp='1379469958' post='22783774']

I have one other suggestion - Fluffy Clouds stays off the itinerary, and becomes invite only. Just a thought, feel free to discuss

Also, though I can't be 100% certain of my attendance in the spring, I am happy to lead the Cherohala Express drive in case Scammedon doesn't want to run a, shall we say "very spritied," pace.
LOL Scammedon is a regular on the FCPD run... so he's not too concerned about a very spirited pace on the Cherahola. This last week was all about keeping my 19yr old newbie son (on all seasons) out of the trees.
FAIL!
[/quote]

Yeah, including you, I'm 0 for 2...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scammedon
Originally Posted by rudman' timestamp='1379480613' post='22783940
[quote name='scammedon' timestamp='1379470813' post='22783787']

LOL Scammedon is a regular on the FCPD run... so he's not too concerned about a very spirited pace on the Cherahola. This last week was all about keeping my 19yr old newbie son (on all seasons) out of the trees.
FAIL!
[/quote]

[/quote]

And yet we have you lead the newbie run....
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by S2LEGEND
Originally Posted by scammedon' timestamp='1379517875' post='22784586
[quote name='rudman' timestamp='1379480613' post='22783940']
[quote name='scammedon' timestamp='1379470813' post='22783787']

FAIL!
[/quote]

[/quote]

And yet we have you lead the newbie run....
[/quote]
He knows what to tell the newbies not to do. (Like don't try to drive on shoulders)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM

I'd be interested in starting a new drive out to Asheville, NC via the Rattler (NC 209) and then up a bunch of back roads that run by my parent's house. It's about a 3.5 hour drive out there via said method (maybe 3 hours driving, well, you know... spiritedly), so this is definitely an all day affair. Asheville has tons of shopping and restaurants, though.

Map Route is here for perusal: http://goo.gl/IYl96Q It goes to a pawn shop very near to Asheville because it was easier than dragging the line all over kingdom come to convince Maps to NOT take the fastest route to Asheville. Going back we can either run straight interstate and highway (a little under 2 hours), or go across a different part of Highway 63 that's twisty as hell, and jump back on the last bit of the Rattler - that route is about 2.5 hours.

Fair warning, I've driven these roads in parts, but not as a total route as laid out. Obviously if there's enough interest, I would do so. Pretty sure I've got time.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I'd be interested in starting a new drive out to Asheville, NC via the Rattler (NC 209) and then up a bunch of back roads that run by my parent's house. It's about a 3.5 hour drive out there via said method (maybe 3 hours driving, well, you know... spiritedly), so this is definitely an all day affair. Asheville has tons of shopping and restaurants, though.

Map Route is here for perusal: http://goo.gl/IYl96Q It goes to a pawn shop very near to Asheville because it was easier than dragging the line all over kingdom come to convince Maps to NOT take the fastest route to Asheville. Going back we can either run straight interstate and highway (a little under 2 hours), or go across a different part of Highway 63 that's twisty as hell, and jump back on the last bit of the Rattler - that route is about 2.5 hours.

Fair warning, I've driven these roads in parts, but not as a total route as laid out. Obviously if there's enough interest, I would do so. Pretty sure I've got time.
Most years I host a dinner at Cucina 24 (they know me way too well) which is 4 courses with paired wines and dessert and then drive back I-40/74/28 to Fontana. I've spent a lot of time in Asheville and think ti's a great city.(BTW, the link doesn't seem to be working)

Looks like I-40 to SR-209 at Lake Junaluska to SR-63 to Asheville (to dinner at Cucina 24?) to I-40 back to Fontana might work. SR 63 looks pretty interesting.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM

CrossFit Mayhem Drive.

Quick Reply: Rockin' the Dragon 2014 - April 10-13, 2014