S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Dragon Events (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/)
-   -   RtD 2018 - The Cherohala Stargazing Pitch Black Drive (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/rtd-2018-cherohala-stargazing-pitch-black-drive-1180089/)

pwrinxs 12-05-2017 07:47 PM

RtD 2018 - The Friday Cherohala Stargazing Pitch Black Drive

Join us for a late night drive & stargazing at 4,500 ft elevation along the Cherohala Skyway. We will gather Friday evening about 9pm (or backup / repeat Saturday at 10pm depending on weather / interest) at the Wildwood Grill parking lot. We will break into a spirited and casual group for the drive up and back to the Hooper Bald Overlook. On arrival, turn off all of your lights and let your eyes adjust to the dark, clear skies and see more stars than you have in a very long time. With decent seeing conditions you can expect to easily see the Milky Way (our home galaxy), and with the help of telescopes & cameras, expect to see even more. If you have a telescope, spotting scope, birding scope, or binoculars, be sure to bring them to get the most from this experience.

As we are at about 4,500 ft elevation on top of a mountain range at night, plan for cool, windy weather and dress in layers. We will stay probably until 11pm or 12am, though those that wish to leave early are welcome to. Please depart in pairs or more, to ensure a safe return.

Preserving your night vision is very important, so please remember to turn off all white lights (headlights, dome lights, trunk lights, cell phones, and so on) and keep them off for the duration of the experience. Red lenses can be purchased online to put over your regular flashlight, which will help preserve night vision when light is needed (though on a clear night, there is typically enough star/moon light to see well enough for walking around & setting up gear).

NOTE: The timing of this drive is VERY subject to change, as clear weather conditions are crucial for good viewing. Check the event board in Fontana Lodge for any updates, and call Adnan (prwinxs) on channel 4.0 if you are unsure. I will try to keep this thread updated until the last minute with our most current plans. If Friday is not favorable, this might be moved to Saturday evening instead, although we prefer not to interfere with other programs like the beer or bourbon swaps or dinner.

Tentative Date / Time: Friday May 11 @ 9pm from Wildwood Grill

Attendees:

1.) PwrinxS (Adnan)
2.) Bama Dave (David)
3.) vortamock (John)
4.) S2LEGEND (Phil)?
5.) jvf1 (Curt)
6.) RobM (Rob)
7.) JoePhotographer (Jamie)
8.) adrs2k (Adam)
9.) WVCR-V ()
10.) S2k Dude ()
11.) Derka
12.) Artin
13.) WeS2kay
14.) NCC-2000
15.)

More slots can be opened up if there is interest. If you have a ? next to your screen name, please confirm and update status. If anyone has any safety cones, please bring them to this drive. Thank you!

Astronomical forecast: Sassafras Ridge Clear Sky Chart

https://binged.it/2nye9Es

Bama Dave 12-06-2017 07:07 AM

Please add me to the list. Always up for checking out the stars. :tipwink:

vortamock 12-07-2017 07:24 PM

Sounds neat. Sign me up please!

S2LEGEND 12-08-2017 07:55 AM

in.

zenairdave 12-08-2017 04:31 PM

Do we already have two groups going to the same place at the same time :shrug:

darcyw 12-08-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24393844)
Do we already have two groups going to the same place at the same time :shrug:

nope. One is for Thursday- led by darcy. One is for Friday after the BBQ beer swap. I'm gonna be in no shape to drive after that:)

darcy

pwrinxs 12-10-2017 08:59 AM

Thanks for doing one on Thursday for that very reason! In reality, if I'm in Fontana I'll probably go Thu Fri and Sat nights as I love this drive. I'll try to lead the last two but I may be with the other Canadians in VA or GA on Thursday and late coming in.

I know last year there was a lot of interest on the other nights but Thu turnout and sky was amazing!

zenairdave 12-10-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by pwrinxs (Post 24394257)
Thanks for doing one on Thursday for that very reason! In reality, if I'm in Fontana I'll probably go Thu Fri and Sat nights as I love this drive. I'll try to lead the last two but I may be with the other Canadians in VA or GA on Thursday and late coming in.

I know last year there was a lot of interest on the other nights but Thu turnout and sky was amazing!

The Canadian route down planning is still variable. We do plan on arriving Thursday night this year and will likely not be going down to Georgia as a result. Might even check out the roads north of the smokes which options coming through Port Huron. :drive:

darcyw 12-10-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by pwrinxs (Post 24394257)

yes. we had a good size group...except the leader just keep on driving and couldn't find the high point look out;)

darcy

jvf1 12-12-2017 06:44 PM

Darcy:
I'm in of course! Looking forward to getting there for Thursday night this year. I really enjoy the night runs on the Cherohala.
Curt