Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RTD 2019 - Suggestions

Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

As a newby to RTD, I was having trouble understanding the schedule, available drives and how those drives/events fit within the schedule. It would be more overheard for the organizers, but a roll-up of all actives with times would be helpful.

Perhaps someone could share a Google spreadsheet, listing actives and entrants in chronological order. Then you could go to one place and see what you were signed up for and how that activity fit within the overall schedule. Individual leaders(?) could edit and add/edit events and names as people signed up. Another option would be to have the schedule rolled-up into a spreadsheet, but split drives into separate worksheets to list the entrants for each drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by jeallen:
adrs2k (05-18-2018), kryptonite (05-22-2018), NCC-2000 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

These are all really good suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeallen
As a newby to RTD, I was having trouble understanding the schedule, available drives and how those drives/events fit within the schedule. It would be more overheard for the organizers, but a roll-up of all actives with times would be helpful.

Perhaps someone could share a Google spreadsheet, listing actives and entrants in chronological order. Then you could go to one place and see what you were signed up for and how that activity fit within the overall schedule. Individual leaders(?) could edit and add/edit events and names as people signed up. Another option would be to have the schedule rolled-up into a spreadsheet, but split drives into separate worksheets to list the entrants for each drive.
Did you receive an itinerary via email before the event? It had general start times for each event/drive. For your specific drive start time you follow the forum, and while at the event, post on the white board in the main lobby. Or at least that's what I always do.

Maybe we need to formalize the white board and include a picture of the drive leader/car so newbies can put a face with the screen name! haha
The following users liked this post:
kryptonite (05-22-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys
Or maybe you'll get a t-shirt out of it!

Wait a second....

Between ensuring my wife has a good time and leading drives, I don't have much else ability to help elsewhere. I suspect I'll be occupied with my own group of newbs if not with my wife. Many of you have seen stuff I've done in the past and I'd love to offer a crash course if anyone wants to help but doesn't know how.

I've actually wanted to do a more in depth education session on safe/skilled/fun driving but have had zero time. Maybe it would be a Youtube course some day! I would like the S2K club to maintain its reputation as the safest, fastest, and friendliest club at Fontana.
Mountain Road Driving School presented by Aaron. Haha

But for real, I was please to see many following safe driving protocol this spring. Staying in the lines, driving within your own limits, checking your ego in at the front lobby. I will admit I got exposed once on Airport Rd. Carried too much speed into a decreasing radius blind corner. I even said to myself 10 second before, "There's a tricky corner coming up, stay wide."

There were a few, who shall remain nameless (you know who you are), that need to consider changing their reckless style or consider not returning...

"Chickity check yo self before your wreck yo self" - Ice Cube-
Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 AM

You know what would be cool? Getting use of the public safety training center in Franklin and hosting a RtD Autocross Event! We design a course that plays into the handling characteristics of an S2000, split into classes, and let the stop watch do the talking.

Of course the necessary tech inspection cert would be required, as would a helmet (could be rented). Heck, one day AutoX insurance is actually pretty reasonable for some added protection!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jeallen, figuring out who was doing what and when was archaic. Pulling up forum threads from last year, scrolling down and tracing out who who had dropped or who had changed times while on the iffy WiFi was a pain. I kept checking the white board and little to nothing was on it.
I'm not complaining, I just think we can come up with better organization options.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with extending the event whether formally or informally. I would like to come down on Wednesday next year and get some more driving in earlier so maybe I could get on the river in a raft or something on Friday or Sat. I really didn't want to go home at the end of this one...lol. Also it would be nice to have a sign up sheet posted on the white board for drives and start times since the wifi is shaky. I tend to get paranoid about "missing the bus". I'm not complaining either, just a few ideas. This event is awesome! The car starts to fade into the background after meeting everyone.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of good ideas flying around.
I like that most of them are not just asking the organizer to do more work. Kens got the solid foundation looked after. From there it is up to the group to add activities.

We have lots of skills in the group and if someone is able to improve the event by stepping up and adding to it, terrific. Billman has done this for years with his tech session.
A performance driving session would be great. May strictly be a classroom ordeal.
There have already been several years with added days before the event. Just need someone to post up that they are doing "whatever" prior to the event if individuals would like to participate.
One year it was the Double Dragon, Another year it was a planned Little Switzerland Drive.
The Canadian tradition is a 3 day group drive to the event. We generally post it up to see if anyone wants to join in.
Someone could easily arrange a pre-event rafting or pontoon boat cruise. Just post it up early, prior to the event to get interested people to attend.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

I try to post a comprehensive listing of all events/drives/cluster..... stuff at the top of the Dragon Forum so that everyone will have an idea of drives, etc. This year it was stickied at the top and looked like this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-e...-find-1183822/

All the info in one easy to swallow capsule, available at your grocers.

and if you think I'm long-winded...never get a Canadian talking

Last edited by kgf3076; 05-18-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What are you saying Ken?

Quick Reply: RTD 2019 - Suggestions