Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RTD 2019 - Suggestions

Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

The Canadian crew has been doing close to a full week for the past 4 years now and it's totally worth it. Might be hard to convince 100+ cars to show up for a week. Allowing for a couple of sign up options would hopefully get the folks who can spare a week of vacation but not lose the guys who don't want to join the event mid-way.

I think there are some simple things we can do this fall / next spring
1. Printed lists on the board with the drive schedule + sign up sheets. Print out the names that have already signed up and open spots for people to add their names in. I don't think this is a big undertaking - Takes a lot of the confusion / connectivity issues out of the way for newbies + people who don't check the forum too often
2. New drives - I would love to do a scavenger hunt drive - I'm sure between all the pictures we have, we could muster up some clues, places people need to take pictures in front of, and throw a couple dollars from the registration fee towards a prize.
3. Bigger prizes! One route is sponsorship, the other option is to literally have 3-5$ more in registration fees go towards a raffle where we give someone a set of tires or something like that.
4. New activities - Perhaps doing a 4 hour drive and then a couple hours of activity time, like white water rafting, or zip lining, or whatever would be a cool addition to the drive portfolio.
5. More involvement in the event - Not really an idea or anything, but maybe there's a "job listing" of things that Ken and team want to hand off / don't have the time to do - See if you get any bites?
The following 2 users liked this post by kryptonite:
JoePhotographer (05-22-2018), NCC-2000 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Not really an idea or anything, but maybe there's a "job listing" of things that Ken and team want to hand off / don't have the time to do - See if you get any bites?
Hmm, didn't realize I had a team. I have a bunch of great friends who help out with organizing drives and such (you know who they are), could always use someone to fill out the whiteboard in the lobby on Wednesday or Thursday or whenever.

I had someone trying to round up sponsorship for the Spring, it's getting more and more difficult. The car is WAY out of production, it's a shrinking market and sponsors don't see any large amounts of profit gained by product given. That problem is only going to increase in the coming years unfortunately. Maybe you should approach Canadian Tire and see if you can trade those Canadian Tire dollars for a set of Bridgestones . Seriously, if you want to try to garner sponsors from up north, please feel free. Meanwhile, I'll continue to hit up my local Honda dealer for goodies that he wants to donate, buy the occasional goodie myself and see what my group of volun-tolds can come up with.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
John, the thread that has links to all Dragon events already exists. Iti's at the top of the Dragon Forum. There are links to everything that is happening. It gives one place to find information about events during RtD and DFR.

You can find the one for Rock the Dragon 2018 here: www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/list-rtd-threads-where-find-1183822/
That thread should answer any questions about where to sign up, what drives are happening, what start times who's leading, where they're going, number of cars allowed, etc.
Yes, I know and I visited all those threads multiple times. The issue is the lack of a complete schedule and how the drives/events fit with in the schedule. Yes Fridays are for Franklin, but as a newby, I had no idea what happens before the drive, after the drive, if there options/alternative activities if I don't go on a drive.

Last edited by jeallen; 05-23-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

My goal is to find a BBQ joint, and find the most circuitous way to get there...then do it again on Saturday. But...

Fontana village has some interesting stuff too-
1. downstairs there is a theatre where they play movies and a history of Fontana Dam's construction.
2. Its great to hang out at the pool- when the pool is open. There's also frisbee golf and Putt Putt.
3. Driving over to Fontana dam- upper and lower section makes for a short but really interesting excursion. Star gazing at the dam is excellent- there's even a road to the upper dam that's loads of fun to tear up and down with the car at full chat- we could have a "best Honda S2000 noise" contest . Until the cops show up.
4. another idea would be to pick 3 or 4 waterfall's or dams and hit them on a drive route...the dam tour.

really for me, sharing a drive with friends is what its all about. I love the car show. I really liked the Friday night set up this year.

darcy
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Spotter

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Hmm, didn't realize I had a team. I have a bunch of great friends who help out with organizing drives and such (you know who they are), could always use someone to fill out the whiteboard in the lobby on Wednesday or Thursday or whenever.

I had someone trying to round up sponsorship for the Spring, it's getting more and more difficult. The car is WAY out of production, it's a shrinking market and sponsors don't see any large amounts of profit gained by product given. That problem is only going to increase in the coming years unfortunately. Maybe you should approach Canadian Tire and see if you can trade those Canadian Tire dollars for a set of Bridgestones . Seriously, if you want to try to garner sponsors from up north, please feel free. Meanwhile, I'll continue to hit up my local Honda dealer for goodies that he wants to donate, buy the occasional goodie myself and see what my group of volun-tolds can come up with.
Well Ken, I guess that's my point. You should have some folks helping you out. Dave did an awesome job with the presentation this year.
I'll message a couple folks I know up North to see if we can get some sponsorship. The point around putting some of the registration fee towards getting some big ticket items might be good. Personally, I could have done without the hot dogs and burgers at the restaurant. Would have been happy with a beer swap and just hanging out with the guys.Could possibly put some of that $ towards prizes?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Spotter

Originally Posted by darcyw
My goal is to find a BBQ joint, and find the most circuitous way to get there...then do it again on Saturday. But...

Fontana village has some interesting stuff too-
1. downstairs there is a theatre where they play movies and a history of Fontana Dam's construction.
2. Its great to hang out at the pool- when the pool is open. There's also frisbee golf and Putt Putt.
3. Driving over to Fontana dam- upper and lower section makes for a short but really interesting excursion. Star gazing at the dam is excellent- there's even a road to the upper dam that's loads of fun to tear up and down with the car at full chat- we could have a "best Honda S2000 noise" contest . Until the cops show up.
4. another idea would be to pick 3 or 4 waterfall's or dams and hit them on a drive route...the dam tour.

really for me, sharing a drive with friends is what its all about. I love the car show. I really liked the Friday night set up this year.

darcy
All for it. Don't know what I'd do without at least one Darcy run a season
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
The Canadian crew has been doing close to a full week for the past 4 years now and it's totally worth it. Might be hard to convince 100+ cars to show up for a week. Allowing for a couple of sign up options would hopefully get the folks who can spare a week of vacation but not lose the guys who don't want to join the event mid-way.

I think there are some simple things we can do this fall / next spring
1. Printed lists on the board with the drive schedule + sign up sheets. Print out the names that have already signed up and open spots for people to add their names in. I don't think this is a big undertaking - Takes a lot of the confusion / connectivity issues out of the way for newbies + people who don't check the forum too often
2. New drives - I would love to do a scavenger hunt drive - I'm sure between all the pictures we have, we could muster up some clues, places people need to take pictures in front of, and throw a couple dollars from the registration fee towards a prize.
3. Bigger prizes! One route is sponsorship, the other option is to literally have 3-5$ more in registration fees go towards a raffle where we give someone a set of tires or something like that.
4. New activities - Perhaps doing a 4 hour drive and then a couple hours of activity time, like white water rafting, or zip lining, or whatever would be a cool addition to the drive portfolio.
5. More involvement in the event - Not really an idea or anything, but maybe there's a "job listing" of things that Ken and team want to hand off / don't have the time to do - See if you get any bites?
I'm going to jump in a little here:
1.) Has been done. There used to be a itinerary in the welcome packet that was handed out during several points of the event. Thursday evening, Friday morning, Friday evening. I will personally volunteer to hand out a complete, zip-lock bag style welcome packet Thursday nights, if Ken permits it. Getting the itinerary early puts the event into perspective, and saves a lot of hassles.
2.) We used to have the "Poker Run" on Friday afternoon, I vote we bring that back. The prize used to be a GoPro, or similar high ticket item.
3.) Tire Rack has sponsored us a set of Star Specs in the past. I will reach out to them to see what all I can do to help get that back onto the table.
4.) Absolutely. Need. New. Activities!!
5.) See my original post - you need to divide all the responsibilities up so it doesn't all fall on one person. Let's see what skills we can drum up in the group and then distribute. I volunteer for finding sponsorship and handing out welcome packets.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

There are a lot of great ideas here and I plan on implementing a bunch of them. It's always great to see newbies turn into veterans and return event after event, year after year. The Dragon community is a strong one and I think it's safe to say that we all want it to continue to grow and improve.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
...Most drives fill up within a few days/weeks of being posted...
Or when the dumb drive leader starts the drive at 8am, no one ever signs up! Now if only I could remember who that guy was.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by onu2002
Or when the dumb drive leader starts the drive at 8am, no one ever signs up! Now if only I could remember who that guy was.
I'm going to go out on a limb here... but I bet the drive leader had a 8-10 hour drive lined up, exploring new roads that most of us have never been on.

Also bet the drive leader was a Canadian, or Bama Dave!

I don't consider the 8:00 time dumb, just what was needed to make the most of the day!

Quick Reply: RTD 2019 - Suggestions