Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Two Way Radios and Communication at the Dragon

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gephelps
I thought I read somewhere that you would be on channel 4? From what I am reading you need a license for most of these radios?
I will be on channel 4. This is just a high power (5 watts) 2-way radio (gmrs only) for vehicles. And yes, I did get a license for it.

Pedro

(Edited for accuracy: My radio does not transmit on FRS channels).
Old 04-24-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that you would be on channel 4? From what I am reading you need a license for most of these radios?
Nope, there are both non-license and high power licensed channels. Channel 4 doesn't require a license.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Just remember..... the higher your radios are in the car, the better reception/signal they will have.....

Altitude (higher up).... and less shielding (out of the car cavity).... will help.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Nope, there are both non-license and high power licensed channels. Channel 4 doesn't require a license.
Originally Posted by PJCC
I will be on channel 4. This is just a high power (5 watts) 2-way radio (frs/gmrs) for vehicles. And yes, I did get a license for it.
You may use FRS frequencies at 0.5 watt without a license. Up to 5 watts with a GMRS license.

The Baofeng radios need proper programming to stay legal, and set for low power. You also need to make sure you are not broadcasting on receive only frequencies. Here is a sample programming file that happens to also contain the proprietary "privacy" codes for the major manufacturers. Preset #3 is FRS4 that we use.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_q...ew?usp=sharing

The following users liked this post:
PJCC (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Straight from the FCC.GOV:

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
"GMRS and FRS Dual Service Radios

Some manufacturers have received approval to market radios that are certified for use in both GMRS and FRS. Other manufacturers have received approval of their radios under the GMRS rules, but market them as FRS/GMRS radios on the basis that:
  • Some channels are authorized to both services, or
  • A user of the device may communicate with stations in the other service.
Radios marketed as "FRS/GMRS" or "dual-service radios" are available from many manufacturers and many retail or discount stores. The manual that comes with the radio, or the label placed on it by the manufacturer, should indicate the service the radio is certified for. If you cannot determine what service the radio may be used in, contact the manufacturer. If you operate a radio under the GMRS rules, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) than FRS radios and may have detachable antennas.

If you operate a radio that has been approved for both FRS and GMRS, and if you limit your operations to the FRS channels with a maximum power of ½ watt effective radiated power and an integral antenna, you are not required to have a license. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************

So, it really depends on what kind of power you are transmitting with. The radio I installed won't even select channels 8-14 unless I lower the transmission power of the unit first.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Just remember..... the higher your radios are in the car, the better reception/signal they will have.....

Altitude (higher up).... and less shielding (out of the car cavity).... will help.
That's a good point. The unit I installed comes with an external antenna, therefore is always outside. Although it's only 6" tall.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

That's a good point. The unit I installed comes with an external antenna, therefore is always outside. Although it's only 6" tall.
Lots better than having it sit on your lap!
The following users liked this post:
PJCC (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I normally use Motorola Talkabout EM1000r. Purchased headsets a few weeks ago. At the dragon, their range is very limited. And for some reason, I'm always running out of battery. Therefore, yesterday I installed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

where did you put it? Pictures man pictures .....
Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue
where did you put it? Pictures man pictures .....
Underneath the passenger's side dash pockets, right next to the transmission tunnel. I'll take some pics and post tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Did You say "LAP" here piggy! piggy!

Quick Reply: Two Way Radios and Communication at the Dragon