Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Two Way Radios and Communication at the Dragon

Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 W Gmrs Radio Installed.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by PJCC
Straight from the FCC.GOV:************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
"GMRS and FRS Dual Service Radios

Some manufacturers have received approval to market radios that are certified for use in both GMRS and FRS. Other manufacturers have received approval of their radios under the GMRS rules, but market them as FRS/GMRS radios on the basis that:
  • Some channels are authorized to both services, or
  • A user of the device may communicate with stations in the other service.
Radios marketed as "FRS/GMRS" or "dual-service radios" are available from many manufacturers and many retail or discount stores. The manual that comes with the radio, or the label placed on it by the manufacturer, should indicate the service the radio is certified for. If you cannot determine what service the radio may be used in, contact the manufacturer. If you operate a radio under the GMRS rules, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) than FRS radios and may have detachable antennas.

If you operate a radio that has been approved for both FRS and GMRS, and if you limit your operations to the FRS channels with a maximum power of ½ watt effective radiated power and an integral antenna, you are not required to have a license. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************

So, it really depends on what kind of power you are transmitting with. The radio I installed won't even select channels 8-14 unless I lower the transmission power of the unit first.
Not an issue with the Midland "walkie-talkies".
Old 04-25-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue
where did you put it? Pictures man pictures .....
Here is what mine looks like, I remove it after every Dragon trip https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el.../#post23996339

Old 04-25-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by PJCC
5 W Gmrs Radio Installed.
Are you planning to leave it installed? Should be pretty easy to tuck those wires. Power it by adding a socket behind the radio or in your secret compartment.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Not an issue with the Midland "walkie-talkies".
Go to the beginning of page 5: https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/up...rs-Manual1.pdf
Old 04-25-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys
Are you planning to leave it installed? Should be pretty easy to tuck those wires. Power it by adding a socket behind the radio or in your secret compartment.
Maybe. Unit slides off the mount very easily. Mount is held be three screws, so removing and reinstalling once or twice a year should be no problem. Holes on dash are tiny and hidden.

It should. I just didn't have the time.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM

I just bought a set of the cheaper
BF-888 BF-888
, wow these are incredible value for money! No reason not to have a couple of these laying around, especially if you can get me to program them for you.

They function the same as the more expensive ones, have a decent wattage, certified by the FCC (for some uses), and water resistant! I like the style of batter pack
Old 05-10-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Do they set up like the Kenwood/Baofeung or like the Midland?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
Do they set up like the Kenwood/Baofeung or like the Midland?
They are just like the Kenwood/Baofeung. Same programming cable.

I reprogrammed them yesterday for my friend's children, locking them to channel 8 only. Tested to impressive range as well.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Gave away the BF-888S models to a friend and got some
BF-888SA BF-888SA
, they do seem a bit better. Fits in your hand way better and the mushroom knobs are easier to grab. No idea if they are more powerful or not, but at $11 to $13 each, who cares?

Quick Reply: Two Way Radios and Communication at the Dragon