Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Two Way Radios and Communication at the Dragon

Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys
I just bought a set of the cheaper BF-888, wow these are incredible value for money! No reason not to have a couple of these laying around, especially if you can get me to program them for you.

They function the same as the more expensive ones, have a decent wattage, certified by the FCC (for some uses), and water resistant! I like the style of batter pack
what does the programming do?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Derka
what does the programming do?
One of reasons these radios are low cost but decent quality is that they must be manually programmed to be compatible and legal for use on USA channels.

Programming sets them up to work properly with the more expensive but lesser quality radios from Wal-Mart. Which are also made in China probably next door to the Baofeng radios. We use USA FRS channel 4 at our events.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of reasons these radios are low cost but decent quality is that they must be manually programmed to be compatible and legal for use on USA channels.

Programming sets them up to work properly with the more expensive but lesser quality radios from Wal-Mart. Which are also made in China probably next door to the Baofeng radios. We use USA FRS channel 4 at our events.

awesome. If I bought a set could you program them before the next event?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Derka
awesome. If I bought a set could you program them before the next event?
Sure, pm me details.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

The programming cable is inexpensive and the CHIRP software is free (downloaded). Channel lists are downloadable as well. Programming should be done with caution as some of these radios can be set for too much power for the FRS channels and shouldn't be enabled to transmit on most other frequencies -- but the radios will. An advantage with the more expensive radios like the BF-F8HP ($40?) is better antennas for better operation at legal power output.

Most-of these can also monitor non-trunked public safety channels as well which may include your favorite highway patrol. Just switched mine on while typing this and there's a bumper in the fast lane on the interstate the local PD is addressing. In stormy weather the local school buses report the flooded areas.

The blister pack Motorolas work fine out of the box. Get a 2-pack. Someone is always missing a radio or has a dead battery.

-- Chuck
Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Been very happy with my blister pack Motorolas from Amazon......

No programming needed, legal, and if I have a question, most people have the same ones, and can help me out.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought the zastone x6. Little guy but the battery lasted for the whole trip down and more! (1300km) and comes with an earpiece, belt holster and charging base.
Tried to program them to the frs band but I could only broadcast, could not pick up anything from my Cobra, so I must be missing something?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
I bought the zastone x6. Little guy but the battery lasted for the whole trip down and more! (1300km) and comes with an earpiece, belt holster and charging base.
Tried to program them to the frs band but I could only broadcast, could not pick up anything from my Cobra, so I must be missing something?
No idea. Looks like it has Chirp support. Send me one to test if you like.

Supported Radios – CHIRP Radio Software
Old 05-25-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

No idea. Looks like it has Chirp support. Send me one to test if you like.

Supported Radios – CHIRP Radio Software
thanks for the offer. I was able to use chirp to upload/download and program the radio no problem , but I think it was an issue with the gmrs info I was inputting.