Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

The Zen of "The Dragon"

Old 04-20-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dragon for me was an awakening of the driver I left behind four years ago at the scene of a bad accident and redemption of that wreck. I used to own an MR2 turbo, modified quite a bit. Well one day on my way home to make up with the girl I was dating at the time, (to skip thru alot of details)... I railed a tree headon in a corner somewhere around 80-85mph. Pinned the car longways between a tree and a telephone pole, nearly severed the car in half from door to door from the anchor cable of the telephone pole and separated the frame of the car from the body. I walked away while my girl at the time was not so fortunate, she was pinned in the car, BUT we are both alive with all our limbs and toes today. The wreck could have been caused by 1 of 2 things. Instead of going into 4th gear it went into 2nd gear OR the tensioner pulley broke locking up the rear wheels. 3 weeks ago I bought my s2000, and for the most part never really pushed it at all, just enjoyed finally being back in the seat of a real sports car again. THEN... I go to the Dragon. I was excited, nervous and everything else all at the same time. I only had one thing on my mind, to redeem myself from that wreck and to prove to myself that I could do it. And I DID! What a rush it was! That was THE ultimate test of driver/ car skills that I could possibly imagine. And being up there with the whole group made it that much more enjoyable as well as the whole group being really great drivers and that was proved by no wrecks up there! As much as I wanted to drive it the rest of the day the fun came to a stop when I managed to do SOMETHING to the suspension in the back of the car which I have yet to isolate what it is and the cops coming up there to ruin the fun. But it was worth it and Im already anticipating the next run on the Dragon! People were concerned when I bought another sports car and asked why Id want to risk my life for it, and I simply tell them "If you get bucked off the horse, what are you supposed to do?? Get back up on it and ride it again!"
Old 04-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meeyatch1
Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 PM

Old 04-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
Anytime something is your "first," you can never get that feeling again.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestSideBilly
Keep going - you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM

i have to agree with everyone. luckily i have great friends who are not of the s2000 community and understand or at least say that they understand what this car, driving and this community do for me. once you get into the seat of you S and you know that you have a great road ahead of you, your minds clears and the only thoughts are about the car, the road and listening to the beautiful sound of the engine.

i ended up going off bymyself for a few runs and kept going back and forth, long enough to the point where i started getting dizzy and had to take a break *now you know thats a great road if it can do that*

everytime i get in my car, yes this is so cheesy but hey if anyone will understand it will be you guys, before i go on a run/meet/drive ect i always say "ok baby ill take care of you and you take care of me" give her a pat and get in the drivers seat and go. i feel as though i am one with the car, it is not just a car but an energy that understands me as well as i do her. at teh dragon the experience was multiplied, no brakes in the road to say wow what a turn they keep coming and coming testing you more and more and with each turn the smile grows bigger and the adrenaline increases, there is never a better feeling than driving an S2000 down a road that the car was meant to live on, and thats what the dragon is, the home in which the S2000 is meant to be on, no matter if it is once in your life or 100 times no matter what you will still have the same effect, a clear mind, escape from the world and the satisfaction that you know you just drove your ass off and you just have a great feeling abotu yourself and teh car.

i am so glad that i am a part of this great community and i have gotten to meet most of the owners in teh community, i couldnt ask for a better bunch of people to share my love for my car with, for they have the same feelings and we all just get it.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you believe it? A thread that doesn't have any post whores trashing it up. A good read and an interesting impression about discovering twisty roads even if it is a very old thread.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by zenairdave
Can you believe it? A thread that doesn't have any post whores trashing it up. A good read and an interesting impression about discovering twisty roads even if it is a very old thread.
I agree, nice to hear Dragon virgin stories (Skip is in Texas now and that's a LONG drive to get to the Dragon). My first time was at night following the OKI group. A great introduction to the road and the people who make the Dragon what it is.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
I agree, nice to hear Dragon virgin stories (Skip is in Texas now and that's a LONG drive to get to the Dragon). My first time was at night following the OKI group. A great introduction to the road and the people who make the Dragon what it is.
Those were some awesome times, back then...Many fun times had with Skip.. Glad you met up with us Dave...
Many, many....more...GREAT times to come, my friend..You have become, an asset to our community..