S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

AP2 Instrument Cluster Repair/Replace

Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OAT sensor location

The following users liked this post:
Langelo DeMysterioso (06-28-2017)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just headed south. What was the total cost for the part(s)?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Default Answer pending

Originally Posted by Chipster
Mine just headed south. What was the total cost for the part(s)?
I am currently on vacation. I’ll reply with cost and source for parts when I return in a few days.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Doesn't the "outside temperature gauge" display the temperature of the air in the engine air intake? The ECU needs that data and I think they just made it display on the dashboard as well? (Note the question marks.)

-- Chuck
When driving I-15 through the Navada desert last July, I think I figured out that question... (sorry for the blurriness - cruise control and an iPhone)

Old 05-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob92620
I am currently on vacation. I’ll reply with cost and source for parts when I return in a few days.
Thanks Rob, but I have a lot more questions than just cost now. More to the point for me now is how did your panel display get to the point that your dash picture indicates? Was your issue intermittent then growing to a full time distortion? Mine first showed itself about 2 years ago then disappeared until this past weekend. I went out this morning and no problems. I should point out that the first time I had the problem I opened the primary fuse box and firmly pushed all the relays and fuses then got back in the car, started it, and the problem was gone. Flash forward to this last event and "that" fix did nothing. I checked the car this morning and the display was normal. I did dim the display thinking that there may be some thermal issue at play, but that was a "grasping at straws" move . I checked all the grounds I could find and saw / felt nothing that seemed problematic. I am going to dig into all three fuse locations just to look them over, but if the problem will not show itself its pretty hard to sort the issue out. It does not seem that many other owners have had this same issue. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chipster
Thanks Rob, but I have a lot more questions than just cost now. More to the point for me now is how did your panel display get to the point that your dash picture indicates? Was your issue intermittent then growing to a full time distortion? Mine first showed itself about 2 years ago then disappeared until this past weekend. I went out this morning and no problems. I should point out that the first time I had the problem I opened the primary fuse box and firmly pushed all the relays and fuses then got back in the car, started it, and the problem was gone. Flash forward to this last event and "that" fix did nothing. I checked the car this morning and the display was normal. I did dim the display thinking that there may be some thermal issue at play, but that was a "grasping at straws" move . I checked all the grounds I could find and saw / felt nothing that seemed problematic. I am going to dig into all three fuse locations just to look them over, but if the problem will not show itself its pretty hard to sort the issue out. It does not seem that many other owners have had this same issue. Thanks for your help!
My experience was similar to yours with the display finally failing to revive. Sorry, I can't offer you much hope that the LCD will magically get back to working order. Mine certainly did not. At first there was the occasional "glitch" in the display but the problem usually went away fairly quickly. Sometimes all it took was to shut down and restart the car. Each failure looked slightly different. I did the usual checks for loose connections, etc., even going so far as to remove the panel to verify that the connectors were properly seated. They were. Eventually the display just failed completely as shown in my original post. Having gagged at the quoted price for the repair at my local Honda dealer (over $1,000) I searched for alternatives and after using Mr. Google to find OEM parts on-line, I bought the LCD panel from Sterling McCall Honda Parts (https://www.sterlingmccallhonda.com/...medium=organic) because they offered the lowest price in June 2017. I paid $399.07 plus $10.71 for expedited shipping. There were used parts available from other sources for less, but having recognized that the LCD panel could fail at any time I decided that it was not prudent to spend anything on a part with some of its "useful life" already consumed.

Note: having chatted with the very helpful folks at Qube Engineering Qube Engineering - Quality Automotive Products and Engineering Services I learned that their product was not a replacement for the LCD and would not solve the problem.

While searching for the lowest cost replacement part and then waiting for the part to arrive I relied on my OBD2 device to display the most important stuff on my iPhone (fuel level and MPH). I was particularly concerned about how much gas was left in the tank.