S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/engine-swaps-301/)
-   -   IM Steering Rack Relocation and Modified Steering Geometry (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/engine-swaps-301/im-steering-rack-relocation-modified-steering-geometry-1169874/)

CoolGuy094 03-06-2017 10:00 AM

IM Steering Rack Relocation and Modified Steering Geometry

So obviously by using the ImportMuscle steering rack relocation kit, which pushes the steering rack several inches forward and requires the use of the Civic tie rods, the steering geometry is what I would consider greatly affected. Its painfully obvious that steering input results in a reduced turning output, and at least in my case the turning radius of the car has been increased. I'm running AP2 rear wheels in the front and lowered on PSS9's, and close to the natural end of my steering travel I start to rub something suspension/steering related (i.e. not fender) that I haven't located yet. Additionally, I'm not positive that my old Saner sway bar will fit anymore (though I haven't fully bolted it on to confirm... I just put the OEM sway bar back on at the first hint of an interference with the Saner).

So, all that said, I'm interested to hear what the community may have come up with as far as a solution or work-around to this issue. Whether its through the use of different tie rods, a different rack relocation method/bracket, different motor mounting, etc. Anyone else using the standard IM relocation method experience the rubbing that I have?

absolootbs 03-06-2017 01:59 PM

I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any alternate solutions as well, as the difference in steering feel between my swapped car and my stock car is definitely my least favorite part of the swapped car. To my knowledge though, everyone thus far who's kept the oem rack has either used import muscle's method, or pushed the engine far enough back into the firewall that the steering could be left completely stock.

As far as whats rubbing, it's probably the front inside edge of either the rim or tire on the tie rod end. I know with ap2 fronts on my car there's only a tiny bit of clearance at full lock. So with ap2 rears on the front I could see there being issues.

lolS2K 03-06-2017 02:08 PM

This guy just used a makeshift steering limiter. A piece of PVC pipe cut to slip on the end of the rod. I'm going to be looking at this really closely over the next few days/weeks since I'm going to be ordering new wheels for the car.

Fix for wide wheels hitting the ImportMuscle steering rod..

Tehk 03-06-2017 02:53 PM

Mine doesnt rub with accord tie rods and civic outers. Alternatively source out a atomic rex RX7 rack(they went under and scammed a few people so you'd need a used one) and run that with a mini toothed balancer setup that protrudes about 2 inches from the front cover.

CoolGuy094 03-07-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by lolS2K (Post 24165416)
This guy just used a makeshift steering limiter. A piece of PVC pipe cut to slip on the end of the rod. I'm going to be looking at this really closely over the next few days/weeks since I'm going to be ordering new wheels for the car.

Fix for wide wheels hitting the ImportMuscle steering rod..

Oh cool! That's a good solution to my rubbing issue. I'll make some of those out of nylon or something.

CoolGuy094 06-01-2017 05:17 AM

I made some of the steering rack limiters yesterday and will try to install them tomorrow. I made two sets; one is 1" long and another 3/4" long. I'll try the shorter ones out first to see if 3/4" is enough.

Originally Posted by Tehk (Post 24165453)
Mine doesnt rub with accord tie rods and civic outers. Alternatively source out a atomic rex RX7 rack(they went under and scammed a few people so you'd need a used one) and run that with a mini toothed balancer setup that protrudes about 2 inches from the front cover.

Randy I'm interested to know exactly what tie rods and outers you used. Do you have part numbers or model year info on them? And what size front wheels are you running? Have you tested full lock with the car on the ground or just in the air?

Tehk 06-02-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094 (Post 24217540)
I made some of the steering rack limiters yesterday and will try to install them tomorrow. I made two sets; one is 1" long and another 3/4" long. I'll try the shorter ones out first to see if 3/4" is enough.

Randy I'm interested to know exactly what tie rods and outers you used. Do you have part numbers or model year info on them? And what size front wheels are you running? Have you tested full lock with the car on the ground or just in the air?

2000 accord inner tie rods and 2006 civic si outer tie rods

Photo here.
Wheels? I think my street fronts were 18x8.5 255s with a 40 offset

Tehk 06-02-2017 06:34 PM

As for testing I drove the car for 4 months with that combo and it seemed fine. Didnt hit in the air. I dont have the nose on the car so tomorrow ill take pictures with lock and weight

CoolGuy094 07-26-2017 03:33 AM

Yeah, I'm fairly certain those are the same ones that I have that came in the IM kit. I think the inside lip of the wheel is rubbing the outer tie rod right around where the wrench flat is (at opposite wheel lock as shown in your picture).

Have had zero time to install the steering rack spacers. Its amazing how two months can go by in a blink of an eye.