European S2000 Owners Covers: Austria, Belguim, Czech, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland.
Plus: Scandinavia and the Nordics. Covering: Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, even Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands!

Vortech SC'd S2000 in the Netherlands!! Is it the first?

Old 09-12-2003, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech SC'd S2000 in the Netherlands!! Is it the first?

Hello Everyone,

I'm starting this thread as I have finally bitten the bullit and ordered the Vortech Super Charger Kit for my S2000. I hope over the comming weeks to give a running commentry over the pro's and con's of this conversion and my personal opinion of the overall package. I'm not sure but I think this may be the first one in The Netherlands, please let me know if I'm wrong as I would appreciate the experience of anyone who has already done this!

So why and where am I starting from?

First the car,

I bought my S2000 new (Silverstone/Red) from the "Sonoy Garage" (Honda dealer in Scheveningen, Holland) in April 2000. I have currently completed 40,000 Km trouble free motoring and have had great fun doing so. This has included a "Track Weekend" organised by the Swiss S2000 club and the Honda importer in the Netherlands. Apart from wrecking the tyres and averaging 3kms/ltr. of petrol this was the best fun I've had in a long time. No oil used, brakes and tyres went off about every five laps (15km.), never out of VTEC and ABS cutting in at nearly every braking zone (in the dry).

Now the reason,

I have made no modifications to the car apart from a few minor cosmetic alterations, removed a few badges & the headlight washers, put on clear side indicators and added the leather center tunnel cover. So now the car is just more than three years old and out of factory warranty I've decided to have some fun. I was thinking about buying something new with more power, the usual suspects popped into my head, BMW M3, Audi S4, Porche, etc. I'm sure you know the feeling. But then I sat back and had a think and it occured to me that the S2000 was the best car tha I've ever driven. I still love the fit and feel of the car it really feels as though your part of it when you're concentrating and driving hard. So what to do? Give it a little more power to stretch that chassis a little and add a bit of bite. Also I wouldn't be one of thousands runnig around in Europe, and may have a little fun with cars suspecting me to be stock (I do not intend to add any external indications as to what is under the lid).
So there you have it, basically I'm just a big kid at heart who enjoys something a bit different and also like mechanical things to play with.

The first steps,

As I think with a lot of us nowadays the first step was to get the permission from the wife, supprisingly this did not take to long and was pretty painless. The next step, how to get the extra power I was looking for? Lot of after market bits? Nitros Kit? Turbo Kit, SC Kit. After a relatively short time investigating I went for the SC route. Next "Comptech" or Vortech", this was a little harder, but after reading the experiences of many other S2000 owners who have already been there, I decided to plump for "Vortech". The main deciding factors where, the price/availability (here in the Netherlands), the inclusion of the "After Cooler", the slightly better performance and the warranty. The only thing against was the slightly more complicated installation including the drilling and tapping of the sump (I'm still a bit worried about that).

So here I am, the kit is ordered, (by the way I went for the polished version, if you're gonna spend this much it might as well look good as well), and it should be delivered some time towards the end of next week.

I think thats about it for now, till the arival

Regards Kevin
Old 09-12-2003, 02:41 AM

That's great news, I think you have made the good choice. Please keep us in the loop.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:06 AM

Hehe go for it man .
I also wanted to order ad SC , But in Belgium its illegal , so i would have to take the damn thing off every year for going to the car inspection.

Keep us informed
Old 09-15-2003, 12:09 AM

Hi Flow

What's illeagal about the SC in Belgium? I hope it's not the same here in the Netherlands, to be honest I never thought of checking it out! The only thing I can think of is the emissions issue, and if it's good enough for California I hope it's good enough for The Netherlands.

Kevin
Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 AM

Good choice, I am thinking about doing the same. You will find someone in the UK with Vortech plus extras, look at the UK board.

In Sweden any alterations to engine etc. are strictly banned I am guessing it is the same in all of EU. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it, how many inspectors do you see popping the hood too look for superchargers? Plenty of modified cars running the streets in Sweden, and I am sure in Netherlands as well.

Do you have resellers of Vortech in Netherlands or did you buy it from the US?

Good luck!

Anders

BTW if you get too worried about the inspectors and the long arm of the law, you can unload it to me for a discounted price
Old 09-15-2003, 07:34 AM

We are not allowed to do motor swaps , turbo a NA car and stuff . That is not a problem for you i think , in holland u can do those things .
Actually everything we do to make the car faster is illegal . but things like a chip , cams , the dont see , but if i come with a NA car and and they see a SC or turbo at the car inspection i get a red card and i have to take it off or the car is not allowed on the road again .
Old 09-16-2003, 01:46 AM

I've checked out the situation here in the Netherlands and as far as I understand it the addition of the SC poses no problem. Any way I'm going to do it anyway, so "mrdangerously" your out of luck as far as a cheap SC kit is concerned.
There is a place in Amsterdam (http://www.moritztuning.nl) that can supply the kit, it's about 6000 Euro including tax excluding shipping, however I decided to order from the UK (http://www.nsracing.com) where I managed to get the polished version for 5,500 Euro including tax & shipping.
I've decided to clear up the garage this weekend to get things ready for the arrival. Also I'm starting to put the tools and other stuff together that I'll need for the installation.
I've also been looking at (http://www.apexi-usa.com) they have a nice gadget I will probably need in the near future, a V-AFC (VTEC_AFC). It allows you to remap the ECU air/fuel mixture and VTEC switch over RPM range. I'm still studying it at the moment if anyone has any experience with using one I would like to hear about it?

Kevin
Old 09-16-2003, 03:16 AM

Damn, you can't blame a guy for trying....

Hmmm, I wonder if I could import a Netherlands "approved" SC'd S2000 and in that way get it street legal in Sweden. Probably not, I guess the rumour would already be out if that was the case, does someone (flow) know for sure?

NSRacing sounds like a good deal, I'll bear them in mind if I ever get to buying a SC myself.

APEXI VAFC are fairly common for Honda tuning, call around to a couple of dyno shops and I am sure someone will be able to help you tune it.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:57 AM

I heard from a guy , that if he imported , like a golf 3 turbo from germany an the car is TUV aproved there , there is no problem because the car papers say golf 3 turbo and there isn't a problem for the car inspection .
But the car has to be at least be 6 months registerd in germany .
I dont know if this is correct but maybe u can check this .

The price that i got for a Vortech SC was 7.000
Old 09-17-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kevin,

I already replied in the S2000 Talk forum and made sure any passers-by are referred to this thread which seems to be a tad more alive.

The only thing you need to worry about is that during the Annual Periodic Inspecion (APK) the 4-gassous test results will be acceptable. The only thing checked will be amount of cylinders, fuel type (LPG or Diesel instead of Petrol). No check for Turbo or SuperChargers.

I suppose that in case of problems you could reduce the 'boost' and have it perform as a naturally aspirated engine? (Can you adjust the boost with an SC? I honestly don't know).

As mentioned in the other thread: Congrats!! I'll be following your progress!

Siepel

Quick Reply: Vortech SC'd S2000 in the Netherlands!! Is it the first?