Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Formula One Won't Be In Indy Next Year

Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula One Won't Be In Indy Next Year

INDIANAPOLIS -- Formula One's U.S. Grand Prix, which had pumped $100 million yearly into the central Indiana economy, will not be held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next year, officials said Thursday.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/13669..._09380607122007

J
Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 AM

WTF?~!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Jul 13 2007, 08:54 AM
WTF?~!
Seems like F1 MAY go to Las Vegas...

J
Old 07-13-2007, 06:41 AM

Glad I went this year.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Tony George (IMS President) gets a bad wrap on many things (some deserved) however he did everything F1 asked including a major renovation to provide F1 garages and hospitality with direct pit road access, all at his own expense. He paid crazy fees to host the race (reports of 25 million per year) and all from his own pocket. He did not go to the city or state and ask for cash to bring or keep F1 in Indy for that I respect him.

So what does he get for his trouble? Bernie the dictator making statements that "the US market is not important to F1" and instead he is off signing up 3rd world countries whose leaders pour govt. dollars into Bernie's pocket. There are reports now that several of the Mfg.s (BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes) are taking exception to Bernie's remarks about the importance of the US market. They want to be in the US racing and from a marketing standpoint they should be.

The thing that really needs to happen is we get an American based team in F1 but with the troubles US Auto makers are faced with today this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Sorry for the rant but this one is frustrating to me. F1 should remain at Indy but it won't surprise me if the next event is in Vegas at some lame temporary street circuit because someone like Steve Wynn will give Bernie a few more dollars.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:08 AM

i agree with u (except for saying tony deserves a bad wrap?)

but i saw this on indy star a couple days ago. it came down to bernie wanting more money then the outrageous amount tony was already paying and at the same time complaining about disinterest from american fans while indy was by far the highest attended race in the f1 series. if anyone had a right to be upset it was deffenitly tony after the race a couple years ago, which tony had to gave free tickets to everyone that attended for the next year.

imo they should have to pay to be allowed to race at such a prestigious track and not the other way around. cart found out the hard way that there not bigger then indy, and i have a feeling f1 will be cralling back before cart finally folds.

in the mean time maybe they will host an irl race at the road course
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=xupthree60,Jul 13 2007, 07:08 AM] i agree with u (except for saying tony deserves a bad wrap?)

but i saw this on indy star a couple days ago. it came down to bernie wanting more money then the outrageous amount tony was already paying and at the same time complaining about disinterest from american fans while indy was by far the highest attended race in the f1 series. if anyone had a right to be upset it was deffenitly tony after the race a couple years ago, which tony had to gave free tickets to everyone that attended for the next year.

imo they should have to pay to be allowed to race at such a prestigious track and not the other way around. cart found out the hard way that there not bigger then indy, and i have a feeling f1 will be cralling back before cart finally folds.

in the mean time maybe they will host an irl race at the road course
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM

Barry

J
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM

well when they raced the 500 it wasn't really on the schedule, it was more like they gave points for the race. its kinda confusing the way they did it back then. monaco was always close to the 500, f1 drivers would have to qualify on the first day if they wanted to do both races, but f1 moved it to the same weekend cuz they were worried about drivers getting hurt at indy.

cart needs to hurry up and die! lol
Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by xupthree60,Jul 13 2007, 09:28 AM
cart needs to hurry up and die! lol
............It won't be much longer, they almost didn't answer the bell this year. I wonder if the F1 situation will give Tony any renewed motivation to unify the 2 series?

You have AJ Almandinger (SP) going to NASCAB and now Sam Hornish possibly going there next year which has to send a message to open wheel racing when they loose young talent to run at the back of a 43 car field every week because they can make more money.

As a professional driver they have to get the most $ they can while they can to secure a financial future. Average fans and sponsors alike are confused by the 2 competing series and as a result the end product is diluted.

Quick Reply: Formula One Won't Be In Indy Next Year