Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Purchasing car in FL driving back to NJ

Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing car in FL driving back to NJ

What's up FL s2kers. I am looking to buy a FL s2000.

Does anyone know if I will have to pay any taxes or fees in Florida if I am immediately driving the car back to NJ.

Paying double tax would REALLY kill this deal for me. Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninS2k

Does anyone know if I will have to pay any taxes or fees in Florida if I am immediately driving the car back to NJ.

There should be no tax here at all. You should be able to buy a temp tag to drive home on too.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 AM

^ what he said.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 AM

The dealer said I have to pay taxes there, and we agreed on a price with tax...

Is it possible he is trying to pull a fast one?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
Originally Posted by RoninS2k' timestamp='1384917045' post='22885343

There should be no tax here at all. You should be able to buy a temp tag to drive home on too.
I wish that were true.

Here is my situation;

Purchase vehicle from Florida Dealership.
I am Canadian, do not have dual citizenship, pay all my taxes in Canada.
When I go to register the vehicle I will pay Canadian taxes plus 6.1% Duty for "importing" an vehicle not produced within North America.
If I drive off the dealership parking lot, I am "taking possession of the car" and will have to pay Florida Sales Tax, 5.5% I believe.
When I get back into Canada they will not credit/discount me the Florida Sales Tax.
Only way around it is to use a car shipper. Where the car gets dropped off is not important to the car dealership, as long as it's out of the state of Florida.

Lastly read this PDF from the state of Florida. It also contains a phone number so please give them a call.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM

I'm in OH; bought my car in NJ. I want to say my lender added sales tax, based on the County where I live, to the loan. Presumably they forwarded the tax to my county. I got a temp. tag from OH BMV so I could legally drive the car home. I had no dealings with any NJ agency.

For me in Ohio, if I had paid cash for the car, I would've paid sales tax to the Title Agency when getting the title transferred.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been down this road before. You are not a resident of the state of Fl (your drivers license is proof) and you will not be registering the car here, you pay sales tax in your home state or where you will be registering car. That is how it works................ but not all that should know this do.

http://www.dmv.org/articles/used-car...ate-purchases/

http://budgeting.thenest.com/paying-...ate-22857.html

As you can see from these 2 websites the info is hard to come by. Now I'll tell you how to avoid this issue entirely. Find a nice hotel within a comfortable budget and enjoy a few days here in Fl where the weather is more agreeable, since your staying for a couple days then be sure to bring your New Jersey tags with you and overnight the title to a friend in Jersey who can then go register the car for you or do what I have done a few times.... insure the car, slap a tag on it and register when I get home
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 AM

I bought my s2k from a private seller down in Florida and drove it back to NY.

I flew down, met the seller, checked out the car, went to the bank with him, transfered funds, had my insurance company fax an insurance card to the bank, then went to the local dmv office to get temp plates. At that point they made me pay FL taxes on the car before they issued me the temp plates (make sure you have cash because they don't (or didn't when I was there) accept credit cards). Also when you pay for the temp plate and the sales tax REMEMBER to get a receipt for the sales tax paid.

When I got back to NY and my temp plates expired, I went to register the car, they initially wanted me to pay all the taxes on the car, after speaking to a supervisor and showing the receipt that I paid a portion of the taxes to FL, they only charged me the difference.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you driving the car to Nj you will pay taxes from Nj. dealer will collect it. no way around
if you shippind the car, towing . no need to pay tax
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to pay taxes in NJ but no here. It is important to have an insurance if you are going to drive back to NJ

Quick Reply: Purchasing car in FL driving back to NJ